Thread: Tramontina Golok Sheath

Default Tramontina Golok Sheath

This week I was able to move ahead on another unfinished Tramontina modification. Here in Brazil nobody sells a golok so I decided to make one about a year and a half ago. I took a 17 inch heavy bird’s head handled machete and cut it back to 14 inches. This gave me the forward weighted feel I was looking for. I wanted a blade that was easy to carry on the belt yet hit like a 16 inch machete.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The blade has been begging for a sheath. Yesterday I solved that problem. The sheath is pretty simple and reflects the high standard of tools I have for leatherworking (Mark 1 Eyeball, steel ruler, Skookum Bushtool, hole punch, 2 needles, sandpaper). It’s not professional looking but it is fully functional and will see plenty of time in the bush.

I treated the sheath with beeswax and most likely will heat it up and retreat it, I think it can take more wax. As it is the leather is rock hard, more like a scabbard than a sheath and it holds its shape like Kydex. The blade makes a satisfying “clack” when it seats.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Looks fine to me. I like them both. Nice.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looks great, and as you say functional. The funny thing about sheaths - you can take a rudimentary sheath or a fine hand crafted sheath into the bush every day. After a couple of years you probably can't tell the difference between the two.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well done, nice work............

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Looks good to me. Nothing wrong with practical and that looks better than just practical.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Fine looking work there mac.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"