Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: new one

i'm going to be experimenting pretty soon with with tsuchioki type refractory tempering processes, but i'd like to get some experience with warm oil quenching as well.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

The knife looks real good Canid!!

two hour, room temperature bath in distilled vinegar gave a nice, splotchy patina:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

in the second picture, you can see a nice, interesting star-burst pattern. it's strange, but i like it.

i've heard of phantom patterns showing up after etching recycled steels before.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Looks pretty cool. I think I'm going to try a mustard patina on my next one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I see some very straight lines in the metal. Is that the result of the type of metal it was, the heat treat, the quench or all of the above?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

the very fine, straight, lengthwise lines are the residual tiny grooves from the finish grinding.

ok, a gentle shave test on my forearm resulted in my successfully shaving off a paper thin piece of my forearm.

this thing is scary sharp.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

me and really sharp knives don't get along, mostly because the doctor's office want $100 bucks to get in the door.. then there's the stitches, etc... and the prescriptions... Lord Have Mercy!!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    two hour, room temperature bath in distilled vinegar gave a nice, splotchy patina:
    in the second picture, you can see a nice, interesting star-burst pattern. it's strange, but i like it.

i've heard of phantom patterns showing up after etching recycled steels before.
    Very nice, I'm a big fan of old and old looking gear.

Old Rendezvous trick, use your new shiny belt knife to cut onions, leaves the splotchy patina, so you don't look like a pilgrim.

Won't work on stainless,obviously, but then again you wouldn't have a stainless knife at Rendezvous, any way.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

yep, potatoes, green hardwoods [e.g. debarking], acidic fruit, etc. also work well.

Thumbs up

Looking good keep us updated.