Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new one

Default new one

this is a sgian dubh i'm working on.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

i have no idea the composition of the steel, so the heat treat will be an adventure. it's in the early stages. i'd like to put a taper one it, like a flat bevel, but i don't know if i have the patience for it atm.

i have some antler in mind for the handle, when the time comes [thank you Hunter]

i'll be working on the other knives soon [from crash's l-6 stock], and i should have the use of my friend's dremel today.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I love that file work your doing, thats gonna be a nice piece of work there.
    any on line tutorials on file work that you know of?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Looking good Canid.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very nice piece of metal. That one's gonna look good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looks good! What is the length?

Blog Entries

Lookin good candid. I have always wanted to make a hidden tang knife. The one I was working on had the tang part break on me. It was to thin of a tang and where the pin hole was was its failure point. That tang looks like its more than thick enough. Keep it up.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

what i've been doing lately are half length push tangs. they are side notched and then set in epoxy, and have all proven to be much more durable than i would have expected, as long as the resin completely fills the cavity.

i will be doing a series with peened over stick tangs soon. i expect to have the blanks cut out within the next several hours [as soon as it's a decent hour to run power tools.

i have seen a good pictorial on scalloping/filework once upon a time, but i can't for the life of me remember where. i would have throught paleo planet, but a quick search didn't turn anything up.

i use the square edge of a file to start a 'v' groove across the spine at a 45 deg. angle, and continue until it just reaches across to the far side, and then go over it again with a small dia. round file, so that it is mostly rounded out, and only a small suggestion of the 'v' is still showing. i do these at a regular interval along one side, and then do the same for the other side in between.

i'm not very good at it, and i have some more fancy stuff i've seen others do which i plan to try when the chance arises.

the blade length is about 4 1/3 - 4 1/2". i like knives in the 4-6" range for a daily carry as a matter of personal preference.
    Last edited by canid; 02-13-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Nice work as usual.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Bruce Evans has some good stuff on file work, especially vine & arrowhead. Google Bruce Evans-custom knives and take a gander. He's easily understood and great tutorials. IM less than HO.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

i think that the blade will clean up pretty well after the heat treat, when i take the 800-2000 paper to it

the pitting is minimal, evenly distributed and so should lend nice character to the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Bruce Evans has some good stuff on file work, especially vine & arrowhead. Google Bruce Evans-custom knives and take a gander. He's easily understood and great tutorials. IM less than HO.
    Thanks WV good info , maybe in the near future Ill give that fancy stuff a try.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Looks Good Canid! Maybe a white vinegar or mustard patina?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

might be an idea.

surely it will work better than my tannic acid stain/etch attempt. i've gotta work on that one.

Looks great! Nice file work too.

Here's a tutorial for "Vine" filework:
    http://www.frycustomknives.com/?page_id=578
    He also has some other Tutorials there as well.
    Where I "followed" to that link is from here where there are more Tutorials.-
    http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

well i'm gonna' get it now.

my friend loaned me his precious dremel 400 xpr, a tool he takes quite seriously, and for which he owns every attachment.

i had been warned, was fully aware that it overheats quickly, and cools back down slowly, but i burned out the windings. it don't think it shorted [it didn't even start smoking untill i stopped to let it cool], and it may be salvageable, but i'm not looking forward to breaking the news.

this comes immediately after he helped me greatly in equipping my workshop yesterday. i hate breaking other people's things. it makes me feel like i'm 5-10 years old again.

[update]
    the dremel lives. no short
    Last edited by canid; 02-13-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Nice, can't wait to see the finial product.
    Dremel thermally protected, maybe?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

i suppose it has a high temp insulation on the windings [the thing runs really hot even before it overheats], and it has a blower [which is moronically located such as to vent the hot air right into your hand while in use].

btw; i have an update. this is the dry fitment of the handle [blade still needs to be heat treated and finished]:

the handle is antler and pronghorn, courtesy of hunter. i would have liked to fuller the blade. i'm still trying to decide what else i want to do to the handle.
    Last edited by canid; 02-13-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Good to hear the dremel made it!! Nice looking knife!

Alright,..... I'm liking it even more now.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27