Thread: SAR question

Default SAR question

so this came up during our meeting tuesday night, we were covering communication protocols and while we realize that most police fire and ems do not use the ten code anymore prefering a more favorable "officer down" instead of 10-13 cuz that could mean something different in different jusristictions but.....when you are about during an active search and come across the subject either dead or alive what is you preffered method for calling this in, seeing that allot of times the distraught relatives and friends are usually helping assist in the search and may overhear radio comms?
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

i just call in "dead meat on the road"
    peope will sort it out
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

when I was in SAR in Arizona ( 20 years ago) there were different protocols for each instance, if the subject was located and alive we would simply state subject located send ems and give our location, if the subject was deceased we would say subject located send SAR command to location. At that time SAR didn't use 10 codes .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

NIMS made that a big issue. But, a lot of LE agencies refused to change. When I was involved, the other responders, fire, EMS, SAR, etc., used plain text.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Yeah for years there has been a problem with standardization of communications protocol. Some departments used and still use the 10- codes, some use the signal codes.
    i.e. signal 1 officer at home, signal 2 call me on the telephone, signal 3 emergency response, etc. some use code i.e. code 3 lights and siren response, etc. Many of your SAR teams and CERT teams are now leaning toward "plain english" communications to keep the chances of mis communication down. However as stated before many departments refuse standardization for whatever reason, other than uncle Bubba used it if it was good enough for him back in the 70's.........
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

In the CERT classes I took, we were told to use plain English. Easier for somebody that doesn't do it every day and in a stressful environment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i think you guys are missing part of my question.
    we agree that plain english works allot better, but do any of you trained folks use a ten code when you find the subject of your search and lets say he had died of exposure but knowing that family and freinds are out assiting in the search and trying to pass along the word to base in a kind manner do you use and type of code for that so not to have the family and freinds trying to rush the area where body was found and complicating the situation more?

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i think you guys are missing part of my question.
    we agree that plain english works allot better, but do any of you trained folks use a ten code when you find the subject of your search and lets say he had died of exposure but knowing that family and freinds are out assiting in the search and trying to pass along the word to base in a kind manner do you use and type of code for that so not to have the family and freinds trying to rush the area where body was found and complicating the situation more?
    I sure that if friends and family were out searching, a 10- code or plain text wouldn't make much difference, people aren't that stupid.
    I understand your concern,but that's why they're there, to find whoever.

Lots of problems in doing anything comes down to communication/or lack there of.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

so true........

"250 headquarters." "Heaquarters, go ahead with your traffic". "250.... One deceased white male located....Roll the Coroner's office.....tell them to bring bio suits......he's not in good shape anymore". That should be plain enough English. Just joking. There should be a "secret code" agreed upon by everyone in the search beforehand to handle a case such as a found body. Such as, "We have a white/black mouse in the trap" (indicating live or dead discovery). Headquarters will then notify the necessary personell of the situation while you tape off the area. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING in the area. Remember, it should be considered a crime scene until the Coroner and Crime Scene Detectives work the scene and clear it. Mark off a perimeter three times larger than you think necessary. Be prepared for the Police to readjust the taped off perimeter as they see fit. No one except essential personell should be allowed inside the tape by the Police only. A crime scene log should be kept of anyone entering the tape and they WILL sign it for court subpoena. This will keep alot of the "noseys" out and preserve the integrity of the scene. Take care.
    Last edited by glockcop; 02-17-2010 at 06:13 PM.