Thread: Sleeping bag reccomendation

Default Sleeping bag reccomendation

Sleeping bag recommendation.

I was hoping someone could recommend a sleeping bag for me. I would be using it for camping and also for my B.O.B.. I would like it light weight, compact and good to 20 degrees. Any thoughts?

Thanks

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48808?from=SR&feat=sr

I like this one for my BOB. It is only 2 lbs and is warm (ish), I also keep a fleece bag liner in the pack if I need the extra warmth. I hate using it for camping though because I move to much for a mummy bag. When I camp, I will lug a rectangle bag (4 lbs) and sleep better because of it's shape. Just my 2 cents...I'm no expert!

I have a north face bag I bought used its good to 0 degrees, and I bought a Cabela's Mountain Trapper also a 0 degree bag , the north face is a great bag for cold weather and very comfortable even for a mummy bag.
    I havent used the cabelas bag yet.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

To me, its no contest- WIGGY'S are the very best sleeping bags there are

You first need to figure out what you are going to use it for and what kind of conditions you expect to use it in. You said camping. Is that backpack camping or car camping or both. Do you expect to use it primarily in wet environments or dry? There's an awful lot of options to choose from so you need to fit the bag to your needs.

Also, when it comes to temperature ratings they don't mean squat unless they adhere to the new EN 13537 temperature rating system so look for a bag that conforms to EN 13537.

Here's a good starter - http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...r-camping.html

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here's what I'm talking about.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ad.php?t=10475

Even a heavy bag can be a great bag if you buy it for a special reason.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Like Rick says!

Everybody on here is going to have different opinions. You give too little info for what you're asking. Price range? Weather conditions? Camping type? Environment? Details, man, details!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I like the Wiggy's Bags, but mine was stolen awhile back and my replacement has been one of the GI sleep systems. The entire system is not light, but I can tailor it to where I am going. I have used the full system do down past 0˚ and been very warm. Normally in the summer I take the light bag plus the bivy, and I can still get to warm at times. The inner black bag served me well sleeping in 30˚ weather last month. All in all it a suited my needs well, and the price was right. It is a mummy bag type system though, so that part can be a pain at times. Warmer, but much harder to sleep on your side or turn over at night (at least for me).

I have a very light weight bag in my GHB. It is rated to like 15˚, but I have not been comfortable in it much below 40˚. It has some drafty areas. I may have to let it loft-up for awhile though and see how it does then. It has been packed (compressed) for about the past 4 years or so, and only taken out on the occasional overnight when I get tired driving home.
    Last edited by aflineman; 02-10-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

If you want the lightest, most compact bag, then a high loft, good quality, down bag would be the best. Look at Westernmountaineering or Feathered Friends. Some will say that down is terrible when wet, well, so is synthetic. Don't get your bag wet.

There is a lengthy discussion on what is better, down or synthetic. It generally boils down to user preference.

Consider this also, when buying a sleeping bag there are three criteria: cheap, warm, light. Unfortunately, you can only pick two out of the three.

And my last point....any insulation (especially any high quality insulation) will loose it's insulating power when it is compressed for long periods of time. If you buy a fancy bag and cram it into a stuff sack and leave it in your BOB, it will die. Quality insulation, whether down or synthetic, needs to be stored in its lofted condition.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Anyone have an idea about the best survival knife?

Thanks for all of the advice, it is appreciated.

As described in my first post, i said it would be used for camping, which would include hiking and travel by car and my bug out bag. Not sure what other details are needed. If i need to bug out it could be under any circumstances, any time of year, and in any type of Pennsylvania weather. Snow, heat, rain, sleet . . . . I used 20 degrees because, i think the coldest i would see here is in the low teens, very seldom does it get colder than that here.

You guys gave me some good links, and that is a great start.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Anyone have an idea about the best survival knife?
    Did you post this in the wrong thread? Or did i ask a stupid question?

Rick was showing the similarities between a survival knife and a sleeping bag. Any time you ask "what is the best..." you will get a lot of different answers. Especially if you don't specify what exactly you want. And sorry, but you didn't. You said "i said it would be used for camping, which would include hiking and travel by car and my bug out bag". That is very vague. You did give a temperature range. That is a good starting point (ignoring the fact that bag ratings are sometimes terrible). Here are some questions you can answer.

What type of hiking, and how far is normal?
    Do you plan to pack it in a BOB and leave it until needed?
    What is "light weight" for you?
    How much are you willing to spend?
    Down or synthetic?
    Can you sew?
    Mummy, non-mummy, in between, or quilt?
    Will you use it in a tent, or under a tarp?
    How much care are you willing to provide?
    Color preference or No?
    Does it need to match a certain pad?
    Do you want it to mate with another one? (you might get baby sleeping bags though )

There are a few questions to get you started.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Rick was showing the similarities between a survival knife and a sleeping bag. Any time you ask "what is the best..." you will get a lot of different answers. Especially if you don't specify what exactly you want. And sorry, but you didn't. You said "i said it would be used for camping, which would include hiking and travel by car and my bug out bag". That is very vague. You did give a temperature range. That is a good starting point (ignoring the fact that bag ratings are sometimes terrible). Here are some questions you can answer.

Down or synthetic?
    Can you sew?
    Color preference or No?
    Do you want it to mate with another one? (you might get baby sleeping bags though )

There are a few questions to get you started.
    I don't have a "normal" yet because i am still very new.

No, i would like to use it both for campning, hicking and i would keep it with my BOB.

??? I don't really know, because i don't know what is available.

I don't have a problem spending money on a good bag, so whatever.

Down or synthetic?
    Synthetic.

Can you sew?
    Yes.

Doesn't matter to me.

Tent when camping or hiking, who knows in a bug out.

I have time and space to take care of it.

Color preference or No?
    No.

No.

Do you want it to mate with another one?
    No.

"Rick was showing the similarities between a survival knife and a sleeping bag."

I see kind of like ford or chevy. Several differant answers are good though. That way i can evaluate each and go from there.

There are a lot of good sleeping bags out there. Unless you are going to use them in extreme conditions (from your description, you are not) I don't think it matters too much. Figure out if it will fit in the space required (in or on your pack), if you prefer a rectangular or mummy bag, how much weight you are willing to carry. I've got four right now - North Face 0 degree mummy, Gander Mountain 0 degree rectangular, Sumberjack 40 degree rectangular and an old bag whose brand escapes me. My favorite is the Gander Mountain bag, which was also the least expensive bag. If I were to do some camping in cold climates, I would have different bags - or at least more.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for the insight everyone. It is very helpful.

04-29-62
    not quite the middle of nowhere-but you can see there from here

Start by getting the army surplus ICW system, then,when you've used it abit and have a n idea what your needs are, upgrade. An extra sleeping bag is never a bad thing!

The USGI stuff is "inexpensive" and works well, but is bulky and heavy.

I am looking at some of the Alps bags, they have better rating, come in OD Green and weigh a fraction. About $100 for a bag, but worth it to keep the shivers away!!

HTH,
    Andrew

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by rezmut View Post
    Start by getting the army surplus ICW system, then,when you've used it abit and have a n idea what your needs are, upgrade. An extra sleeping bag is never a bad thing!
    You guys do realize that this thread is about 2 years old, right?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin