Thread: Winchester® Manual Chain Saw

Default Winchester® Manual Chain Saw

is there anyone here that have tried this brand of pocket saw, If SMKW ever gets them back in stock I want to get one , and was wonder on there performance for a cheap pocket chain saw.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...0&SKU=WR41126W
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I have not tried that particular brand but I do have a saw like that used for trimming limbs high up in a tree. It has long ropes on each end. It works. It's a lot of work but it does do the job. I've not tried it up close and personal but I would think it would work better since you would have more control over it.

This is the type that I have...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Anybody ever try a homemade buck saw. Packs up nice and makes short work of fire wood.

I have to agree with sjj here. IMHO don't waste your $$ MOST winchester brand gear outside of their firearms is cheap junk. Although I have never used this particular product, previous experience with other products as I said is less than adequate. I reccomend spend the extra money and get yourself a pocket chain saw. I have a couple of them and I have only one complaint about them. I ain't figured out how to put a engine on 'em yet. LOL. Seriously they do take a little getting use to how to get the best results from them. But once you do they work great.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Just because it says "Winchester", means nothing.
    I can get you a Rolex watch for $20 bucks............

They may have gotten paid to use their name, but I'm guessing that it's a Made in China, and would take too long to sue them if the Chinese don't already own Winchester?
    IMO these are junk, and just useless weight to be carried.

I have used many types of saws, my favorite being the "Wyoming Saw" with three different blades, wood meat, and bone. Have to look and see who made it, but wasn't $5bucks.
    The packable bow saw blade is next, make your own frame/handle in the bush.

Of course lets not for get the always carry SAK w/ very good saw that does a lots of things. (these aren't $5 bucks either)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I would have to give another thumbs up for saving for a pocket chainsaw.
    I've used mine quite a bit, and it's versatile and durable.
    Just keep it oiled.
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

I have a gerber gator saw III that I use a lot, I was just curious if anyone has tried the winchester brand pocket saw.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I have a gerber gator saw III that I use a lot, I was just curious if anyone has tried the winchester brand pocket saw.
    I have that saw, got it as a gift. I have never used it. I will take it out today and try it. Back in a sec.....
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

I braved the 8" of snow here in Kentucky to test my Winchester chain saw. The saw initially cuts great but quickly binds at about the midpoint of the branch. I tried it on several different types and diameters of wood. On each type and thickness the saw would bind and become stuck. I tried it on downed, as well as overhead branches. All outcomes were the same. I glad I recieved it as a gift and didn't purchase it myself. Compared to a folding Gerber or Fiskars this saw is virtually useless. Comparing this to the pics posted by Rick there is no comparison. Ricks appears as a true chain saw blade, while the Winchester is simply flat teeth shaped pieces of metal that are riveted together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Icemancometh; 02-09-2010 at 04:51 PM.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

Thank you for that review Iceman, I will just stick with the saw I have and not waste my money on the winchester saw.

I'll bet your neighbor is going to be ticked about you cutting down all his trees.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I didn't have to cut any trees to make that happen.

Who can pick out for me the best product from the list provided in this site?
    WHO CAN PICK OUT FOR ME THE SPAMMER?
    Last edited by Rick; 05-26-2019 at 07:55 AM. Reason: REMOVED LINK

The one that slices SPAM is cool.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Let's see, you're from Bangledesh and your first post is a link to some web site. I think Pete is right, nothing spammy about that.

RIck, that looks dangerous as hell. The size of the limb being cut is got to land somewhere, and the person using that devise appears to need to be standing pretty close to where that limb will land
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

What? No adventure? Sheesh. Timber!!!!!