Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alaska's most remote

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Googling to see if squirrels live in Antarctica...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Ha! If penguins could fly you would be so in trouble! They don't like people saying they run with them when they don't.

Kinda like biker gangs only completely different. "Never trust an emperor penguin in a leather jacket!" Al Gore...or maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    . "Never trust an emperor penguin in a leather jacket!" Al Gore...or maybe not
    Or a hells angel in a tux
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Bumping this up so's it's readily available if ND decides to come back!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Ding, ding, ding.....This just in.....we have a winner.

Alaska’s champion recluse seems to be St. Matthew, which sits alone in the Bering Sea without road, airstrip, or town. The closest village is Mekoryuk, on Nunivak Island off the Yukon River delta. St. Matthew’s nearest neighbor is 209 miles away. Biologist Brian Lawhead spent a few months studying seabirds on St. Matthew Island in the mid-1980s. He remembered a few long rides to reach the island, one in a Grumman Goose from Bethel and another by chartered boat from Dutch Harbor, 400 miles away.
    “I remember sitting there and realizing how far the nearest land was,” he said from his Fairbanks office, where he works as a senior biologist for Alaska Biological Research. “The island is all tundra, not as lush as the Aleutians, with lots of seabird cliffs. It’s a beautiful place.”

There are actually three possible locations with each listed on a map. Enjoy.

From your Minister of Science.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF16/1670.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

“Out of the million square miles of basin, range, peaks and prairies that compose the interior West, the farthest it’s possible to be from a road is a trifling 28 miles.” from the pages of Hawk’s Rest, a book by Gary Ferguson about a wilderness outpost in Yellowstone National Park:

Rick, that quote from the article you linked, is refering to "the Thoroughfare" region of Yellowstone and surrounding Wilderness area. It is just south of Yellowstone Lake. It is a very remote area that I have visited many times. One time I was in the area for a week- and saw over 100 people! All of 'em on horseback. Horsepacking outfitters work that area over. It is amazing how many people you can find in such a remote spot!

That area is also famous for its grizzly bear density. Alot of the bad bears of Yellowstone are relocated to that area. So, you will see alot of bears when you visit there

Yellowstone? Not unless they moved it to northern Alaska. They could have. I've been holed up in a bear den all winter.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yellowstone? Not unless they moved it to northern Alaska. They could have. I've been holed up in a bear den all winter.
    Did you read the article you posted? It starts out talking about the remotest spot in the lower 48, the region I talked about...then it starts to talk about AK

well then, that would explain the ...aroma. Bit of advice? Next winter try a bobcat or mountain lion's den. Nicer ambience.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Ding, ding, ding.....This just in.....we have a winner.

Alaska’s champion recluse seems to be St. Matthew, which sits alone in the Bering Sea without road, airstrip, or town. The closest village is Mekoryuk, on Nunivak Island off the Yukon River delta. St. Matthew’s nearest neighbor is 209 miles away. Biologist Brian Lawhead spent a few months studying seabirds on St. Matthew Island in the mid-1980s. He remembered a few long rides to reach the island, one in a Grumman Goose from Bethel and another by chartered boat from Dutch Harbor, 400 miles away.
    “I remember sitting there and realizing how far the nearest land was,” he said from his Fairbanks office, where he works as a senior biologist for Alaska Biological Research. “The island is all tundra, not as lush as the Aleutians, with lots of seabird cliffs. It’s a beautiful place.”

There are actually three possible locations with each listed on a map. Enjoy.

From your Minister of Science.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF16/1670.html
    It is true that St. Matthews is the most remote in all of Alaska but in my original post I was refering to the most remote place on main land Alaska. However, I would pay to watch ND paddle his "2 freight canoes" out to St. Matthews by himself.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Well no wonder ND doesn't want to come back on here. I'm starting to think the same way. My information stinks, I stink and, well, frankly I'm (sniff) a bit upset about the whole thing.

Blog Entries

Aw, now I've gone and hurt Ricks feelings.........Shruggs
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    You might also like "The Final Frontiersman" by James Campbell

It is the story of Heimo Korth and His Family, who lives more remotely than any other person in Alaska" as one of only seven hunter-trappers with a permit to live in the 19.5-million-acre Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). Korth lives with his wife and two daughters 130 miles above the Arctic Circle.
    Here's a 52 minute long video about Heimo that I watched yesterday. VBS.TV video. Worth watching.

http://www.vbs.tv/newsroom/heimo-s-a...full-length--2
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I just watched that too. They had a shorter version on CNN.

I just finished reading the book yesterday! Heimo sounds like a great fellar. I wonder if he's back in the bush trapping, or if he's living in Fairbanks. It would be neat if we could get him to join up here and discuss his experiences
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen