Thread: anyone have an honest opinion

Banned

Default anyone have an honest opinion

on SIG/Sauer P229R and the .357 Sig catridge?

I have a two tone set up exactly as you described with a .357 Sig barrel and a .40 s&w barrel. The .357 Sig round recoils very easily, is very accurate, and is very LOUD! The 229 in .357 Sig is one hell of a carry gun. Lots of very potent rounds, light, and trim. Besides it's a Sig! How could you go wrong? It is one of my all time favorite carry set ups. I HIGHLY recommend it. Think no further...Get it. Take care.

Banned

Thanks glockcop. I have done some research online. I like SigSauers very much but hadn't heard too much about the .357 SIG except that when a .45 ACP failed to penetrate a big rig door a man exchanging gunfire with police was taking cover behind the .357 SIG not only shot through the door the bullet still had enough energy to lethally drop the perp. I'm a big fan of the .357 magnum. I'm NOT a big fan of the .40 S&W and I had reservations about the SIG round as it is a .40 S&W necked down. It seems the necking down makes the difference. Do you think $400 for a lightly used on is a good price?

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I'm not a big fan of the 357, too loud. Now if someone offered me a mint condition Sig, well I would buy it for $400 in a sec. I could always make at least $100 on it very quickly, worth more.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Sounds like you found a deal. At that price you could get the .40 barrel and still have change left over. That way if you don't like the noise level of the .357.

I am a big fan of SIGs.

$400.00???? Get that sucker right now!!! The .357 Sig round is very good for overcomming intermediate barriers as is a 9mm. The .40 is pretty good but not as good as the other two. The .45 ACP is notorious for it's lack of penetration with hollow points on intermediate barriers (aka it does NOT get through auto bodies and auto glass as well). I have seen .38's and .45's glance off of windshields at steep angles without getting inside to get the job done. 9's and .40's have no such problem in my experience. Others may not agree but I have done testing for two departments on ammo selection and this is what I have found. Out in the "real world" on actual crime scenes I have witnessed similar outcomes to my testing. The .357 will do just as well if not better than the 9 and 40. It is really a great round that "does it all" very well with little to no compromise. I hope it is not too late for you to grab that great deal. Good luck.

.357 SIG is an exotic cartridge and hard to find outside major centers.
    the .40 is another caliber that is not realy necc.
    nothing a 9mm and 45+p could not handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    .357 SIG is an exotic cartridge and hard to find outside major centers.
    the .40 is another caliber that is not realy necc.
    nothing a 9mm and 45+p could not handle.
    Brother, I respect your opinion but I can't agree with it. Please give me an example of what round has the ease of recoil, energy, capacity, penetration, and frontal diamameter to "get the done" as well as the 40 S&W. Nothing is pefect but the 40 comes dambed close. The .357 Sig is more of the same. The .40 penetrates darn close to as well as a .357 magnum, hits like a .45 (more times than not, harder) and, has close to 9mm magazine capacity. The .40 and the .357 Sig do all of the good things the 9 and 45 do and hardly any of the bad. A handgun should never be relied upon to stop an "immediate threat" with absolute certainty. I would choose a Rem 870 12 guage for that, but as far as pistols go, the 40 and .357 Sig gets it done. Best
    Last edited by glockcop; 02-08-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Banned

Well the guy decided not to sell. He killed a deer with it and now has a better opinion of the pistol.

Darn it! That was just too good of a deal to pass up. Better luck next time. You can still buy a Glock or Springfield XD in .357 Sig for alot less money than a new Sig Sauer. The Sig Sauers are worth every penny though. Take care.

glockcop,
    as i said in the first post:
    no ammo outside major centers.
    the 9 mm & 45 killed more man (god and bad) than the 40 or .357 Sig ever will.
    9mm & 45 are battle tested calibers.
    i choose arms always based on ammo availability and preformance records.

Stoney, not to argue but just where did you try to buy .40 ammo and could not find it stocked along with 9, 45, .38 ect.? I can see .357 Sig but .40? You can buy that anywhere you can buy .45 or 9. Even way out in the middle of no where mom and pop stores stock this stuff. I personally have not nor known anybody that needed .40 ammo and could not EASILY find it. You must have been waaaay off the grid not to find .40 ammo. I agree the .357 Sig is another story. I also agree the 9mm and .45 are great rounds with alot going for them. As far as proven track records go, the .40 is in more than 75% of law enforcement holsters and is killing bad guys everyday just fine. Cops love it and are not looking for anything else. I'd say that is proven enough for anyone's taste. How about packing all those .40 rounds in a gun the size of a 9 and hits like a .45 (or in most cases harder). With a .40 you have more rounds on hand and more power than both 9 or .45. Sounds like a great defensive cartriage with none of the compromises. Lots of rounds that hit hard and penetrate better than most other rounds and is easy to find. As far as the "9 and .45 killing more people than the .40 ever will", well the .22 LR has killed more deer than the .270. The smooth bore musket has killed more people than the AR-15. Does that make them better? Nope. Just saying. I agree to keep a couple of good military caliber weapons close at hand but maybe you should look a little harder at the .40's splendidly proven track record and plentiful availability before you rule it out. When the SHTF and military ammo dries up there will still be plenty of .40 ammo sitting on the shelves because it wont fit in those 1911's and 92FS' people bought because they wanted military ammo compatability. Just a little food for thought. Take care brother.
    Last edited by glockcop; 02-18-2010 at 05:09 PM.