Thread: Best Tasting Mountain House Freeze Dry

Best tasting Mountain House offerings?
    Last edited by sjj; 09-16-2010 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Most my Mountain House freeze dried foods are in the big cans and I just don't open them up and use regularly since they are for LONG term storage.

I decided to get some of the foil packs that have 2 servings each to add to preparedness kits - something lighter than MREs. I just picked up a case of Mountain House Chili/noodles and a case of beef w/noodles on discount at Sam's Club. I tired one of each. I like the beef/noodles but the Chile/noodles was just so so.

Its been awhile since I've tried the different Mountain House offerings. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Their spagetti isn't bad, and the scrambled eggs/bacon is pretty good also
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Lasagna with Meat Sauce, in the Pro-Pak

i bought some but did try them. They are for my BOB.

SJJ - Do you mind if i ask what you paid per pack for the 2 serving packs?

I have a fairly large variety of them on hand. I use them from time to time, but they are mostly for long term storage. While some are better than others, I haven't found any that I did not like. I agree with your assessment of the spaghetti. Some of the others that I have and have eaten (and like) are:
    Beef Stew
    Beef Stroganoff w/Noodles
    Cili Mac w/Beef
    Lasagna w/Meat Sauce
    Rice & Chicken

I also have quite a few of the breakfasts. My favorite is the Granola w/Blueberries. I have found that while - OK - the Scrambled Eggs w/green peppers is probably my least favorite.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 02-04-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Didn't you guys try before you buy? In a pinch it's good to have something, anything, to eat but...why be more miserable?

Freeze dried isn't in my stash yet. I haven't moved beyond canned staples (and yes 2D, they are a bit crunchy but lots of minerals) at the moment but was gonna go to one of those Sports Store workshops where they let you try a bunch of different brands and flavors, all made up on the spot. They have them every once in a while...for a modest fee of course...
    Last edited by LowKey; 02-04-2010 at 09:31 AM.

I have found the Spaghetti and Meatballs, the Lasagna w/ Meat Sauce, and the Rice w/ Chicken to be my personal favorites.

The Beef Stew was alright. I didn't try the Chili Mac with Beef as I don't like that even with fresh food so; I can't imagine liking it in a reconstituted freeze-dried form.

The Scrambled Eggs and Bacon seemed O.K. the first time I tried one but, I think I must have been awfully hungry that time because the second and third times I tried them I wasn't nearly as impressed. It also gave me terrible gas... I don't eat that one any more.

MMhmMmmm

Lasagna w/meat sauce.
    Spaghetti
    Beef Stew
    Eggs

In that order.
    Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Didn't you guys try before you buy? In a pinch it's good to have something, anything, to eat but...why be more miserable?
    Same here. I'm ordering from APack Ready meals for this summers hiking/camping trips...and I plan to try them out then, while taking along a hot-dog safety-net. Last thing I need is to get to the top of the mountain...sit down to eat, and find that my 11 year old simply won't have it. Ugh.
    (don't worry...he won't KNOW of this "safety-net", for I am a sneaky mother.) I would just hate to find out that they aren't palatable when we NEED them.

Most of my stored food are pantry goods. Beans, rice, canned, soup mixes...things that last a decent amount of time...and that I KNOW we eat. It will be cool if these APack meals are good though. It will certainly lessen my storage space requirement.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    i bought some but did try them. They are for my BOB.

SJJ - Do you mind if i ask what you paid per pack for the 2 serving packs?
    Scratch.... I'm not sjj... But I bought several 2 serving packs of mountian house dehyds at wally world aka walmart for $5.95-$6.95 each.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

A friend also gave me this info. Free survival food. www.efoodsdirect.com/george the phone # is 800-409-5633 He said you can get free samples of various food. HOWEVER I have not had time to check it out yet!Some of you may be interested in looking it over. I plan to soon as I have time.

Turkey Tetrazzini
    Chicken Teryiaki (sp?) with rice
    Beef Stroganoff
    Chili Mac
    Polynesian Chicken

Just some of our favorites... we also like the granola and blueberries for breakfast, rasberry crumble and blueberry cheescake for dessert!
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I did recently try the Mountain House ice cream sandwiches and neopolitan ice cream. I was pleasantly suprised. I bought several of each to put in the long term supply stuff. I figured they were a good comfort thing to lift spirits a little from time to time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash, isn't it that stuff that they used to try and sell as "astronaut ice cream"?
    That stuff just through me. LOL!! The texture was odd...
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

It might have been. Tasted like the real thing to me - well - without being cold, smooth and creamy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Uh....It.....I mean......Well, Yuck, again.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is what happens when you eat WAAAAAAY to much astronaut ice cream....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Try it. I was quite suprised at the taste (in a good way). WalMart sells it for under $2 in the camping section.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Try it. I was quite suprised at the taste (in a good way). WalMart sells it for under $2 in the camping section.
    I agree I was surprised at the taste. They aren't bad