Thread: Steel source

Blog Entries

Default Steel source

I talked to a local that makes some nice knives and I asked him what kind of steel he uses. He is a modern day blacksmith and farrier.

He says he scraps out old V-8 engines for the valves and rods. He then folds the steel together to make the bar stock for his blades (he has a pneumatic power hammer). He said he also uses chainsaw bars.

I asked him how the chainsaw bars work. He said they make very good knives. He uses a plasma cutter to cut out the pattern.

Just thought I'd mention this as another source for good knife steel.

Kevin
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I never would have thought of chainsaw bars as a good knife steel! Thanks for the idea! I've heard of valves and have seen some very nice looking knives forged from timing chains. I will have to add bars to the list of metal to play with..someday.

To add to the list of sources..I picked up some old cable left from a skidder this past weekend and am going to try forge welding that into a billet this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    I never would have thought of chainsaw bars as a good knife steel! Thanks for the idea! I've heard of valves and have seen some very nice looking knives forged from timing chains. I will have to add bars to the list of metal to play with..someday.

To add to the list of sources..I picked up some old cable left from a skidder this past weekend and am going to try forge welding that into a billet this weekend.
    I don't know the validity of this but, I've heard that all chain saw bars are not the same for good knife making.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I don't know the validity of this but, I've heard that all chain saw bars are not the same for good knife making.
    That would make sense to me. I honestly never even thought about them as a source for knife steel. Still, I might dig up a few of the old ones kicking around and see if I can figure out what they are made from. Thanks Rebel!

I posted a knife made from the chain of a chain saw some time ago. The guy forged it into a block.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There is a guy in the local knife club that makes pocket knives using chain saw bars. I've also read that ball bearings can be good material for forging into a blade.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rick - I remember when you first posted that. I now have a much greater appreciation of how much went into that. Thanks for posting it again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rick, thats some work, thanks for posting that.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"