Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acorn Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by crimescene450 View Post
    so what exactly do you do? soak the acorns for 3 days?
    and how much acorn do you use?

and on the acorn note
    does anyone know how to make flour out of acorn?
    To my knowledge, you de-hull the acorns to get the fleshy "nut meat" out, let them dry untill they are dry enough to break in two, and then grind them into flour.

I had a brief lesson on acorns during the class with the "Eat The Weeds" guy. The two methods for removing the tannins from the acorns are either cold water (longer process) or boiling water (shorter process). He said combining the two methods does not work. His preferred method is cold processing. He places the acorns in a mesh bag and puts them in the toilet tank (tank, not bowl). Kind of an urban stream. Every time you flush, you get a water change. When the water filling the bowl is clear, they are done. Then dry and process (roast, grind, etc.).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, but leave those blue thingies and the jars out of the tank while you soak the acorns.

That is a good idea, Crash. Thanks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I had a brief lesson on acorns during the class with the "Eat The Weeds" guy. The two methods for removing the tannins from the acorns are either cold water (longer process) or boiling water (shorter process). He said combining the two methods does not work. His preferred method is cold processing. He places the acorns in a mesh bag and puts them in the toilet tank (tank, not bowl). Kind of an urban stream. Every time you flush, you get a water change. When the water filling the bowl is clear, they are done. Then dry and process (roast, grind, etc.).
    this is clever!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by preachtheWORD View Post
    I have also heard of thoroughly dried, baked, and ground roots from dandelion and chicory being used as a coffee substitute. So, are there any natural sources of caffeine that are readily avaiable in North America?
    Chicory Is a New Orleans favorite and has been mixed in with other beans to achieve the flavor it is famous for. There is a brand in the store call choke-full-of- nuts that is a chicory coffee as well as mellow-yello. these may not be available in all areas.

Beechnuts can be roasted and ground for a coffee sub too and as mentioned the Kentucky coffee tree, and dandelion roots. the only other source I have read about is the berries of Goose Grass.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I always thought that Army coffee was a coffee substitute.
    We dipped or ate the coffee that came with our MREs rather than drink it when on watch at night and in the field. Remember the cadence " They say that in the army the coffees mighty fine! It looks like muddy water and taste like turpentine" lol I still remember them all lol

Quote Originally Posted by skunkkiller View Post
    HAVE ANY OF YOU TRIED ACORN COFFEE ? I LOVE THE STUFF. YOU LEACH THE ACORNS FOR THREE DAY IN 3 CHANGES OF WATER OR ONE DAY IN A STREAM THEN ROAST JUST LIKE COFFEE AND MAKE JUST LIKE COFFEE.
    Skunkkiller, Can I assume that you're talking about acorns from a white oak tree? All of the other oaks that I know of produce acorns that are too bitter to make food or drink from.

Welcome Qmser, why not chop on some acorns on your way over to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

While the red oak has more tannins, it also has more fats than white oak. It's one of the reasons squirrels eat the white ones when they begin to fall and bury the red ones. They need the higher fat content in the dead of winter. The white acorn will sprout faster than the red one, which is another reason they eat them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    While the red oak has more tannins, it also has more fats than white oak. It's one of the reasons squirrels eat the white ones when they begin to fall and bury the red ones. They need the higher fat content in the dead of winter. The white acorn will sprout faster than the red one, which is another reason they eat them.
    They also bury the red oak because they get sweeter tasting after they have frozen. Probably due to the germination process but Native Americans didn't eat red oak acorns until after they had been long frozen and then thawed.

you can use any acorn as lomng as you soak them first in changes of water then dry and roast
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

I personally solved the coffee problem by having a huge amount in nitro pak storage ... instant but filled with caffeine ... and tis a necessity fro me ... I believe i haven't forgotten anything in my 3 three years worth of survival gear and supplies we have stashed away !

I have plenty of acorns around so I'm going to try this

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    We have wild coffee down here. It is caffeine free but contains a hallucinogenic called dimethyltryptamine.

The only North American plant with coffee like caffeine is Yaupon Holly.
    What "wild coffee" are you talking about that contains DMT?

At some organic shops, herb shops and some green groceries you can get "dandy blend"
    http://www.dandyblend.com/

Good info in this thread! Thanks..
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    What "wild coffee" are you talking about that contains DMT?
    There is actually a Wild coffee (Psychotria nervosa) that grows from just south of my area and extends down to the Keys. http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Wild_coffee/wildcoff.htm

It does contain DMT.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The root of the Mimosa is used to extract DHT, not sure of the difference but a psycodelic drug nonetheless.

I don't know waht DHT is but we're loaded with mimosa 'round here....
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I may be mistaken, I believe it is DMT, mixed up and still half asleep.

Never tried acorn coffee, but I suppose it does have the bitterness if nothing else. I have made dandelion coffee and found it to be pretty darn good though it doesn't have the caffeine. I think a lot of us will be getting over our addictions pretty quick post SHTF though and something that will at least remind us of the "good ol days" will go along way toward lifting the spirits. I dry the roots first in a dehydrator, then roast in a 325 degree oven for about 40 minutes. Then grind in my flour mill and boil about three teaspoonfulls per cup of water for three minutes. This, at least, will give you the impression you are drinking coffee

As far as acorn flour goes, I don't think it matters much what type of acorn you use as long as you leech it long enough to remove the bitterness. The best way to do this is not a formula as the amount of tannin will differ from tree to tree, not just variety. I also prefer the cold leech method, but I dry the acorns first so I can coarsely grind them. this speeds up the leeching process considerably. Once ground I place the acorn "grits" in a finely woven cheesecloth, suspend them in a large mouthed mason jar and run water over them several times a day, pouring off the water from time to time. How long this takes will differ, but I continue until there is no more bitterness. Once they are leeched, I return them to the dehydrator and once dry, I have flour. If a finer flour is desired I then grind them again. Hope this helps.

mark

For that caffeine bump you could also look into buying pure caffeine extract, It's a little harder to get now a days and you need to be careful you don't overdose and kill yourself but a little goes a long way if you can get it.

Figure out an appropriate measuring apparatus and mix it with your desired "coffee" and go from there.

Hell a small Altoids tin of the stuff would probably last months if not longer.

Also lots of great ideas in here, Gong to need to write them down or print them off and try some of them out.