Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt and Sugar

I don't suppose the alcohol contributes to the dehydration any. Naaaaah.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You would have to drink a LOT of water, even in desert conditions, with little or no food to create problems with your metabolites. Just being dehydrated wouldn't do it. As long as you stay hydrated and continue to eat there should be no reason that additional salt is required.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You would have to drink a LOT of water, even in desert conditions, with little or no food to create problems with your metabolites. Just being dehydrated wouldn't do it. As long as you stay hydrated and continue to eat there should be no reason that additional salt is required.
    Exactly! Between the lack of eating, partying all night for days and the environment, unprepared people crash hard...
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Burning Man is a tough event. A friend of mine and her hubby went with friends who'd been before, so they were pretty well prepared when they got hit with several dust storms. Quite a survival list on the Black Rock City website. I don't think alcohol is one of their recommended dehydration remedies...

Without sugar there would be no Twinkies.

The salt you get from bark and river plants, can that be used to make a brine for preserving? Or is it just a seasoning?

Okay, okay. I'm with you. Cheers and tip the pickle juice.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LowKey, the moss and bark is a seasoning, it tastes like salt, but is not salt. at least not in the traditional sense.. the ashes might be considered "salts" in Chemistry terms, but it's NOT sodium chloride. When an alkali and acid are mixed, the precipitate that falls to the bottom is, chemically speaking, a "salt".
    the sugars from saps, honey, etc. will work for preserving. Ashes would probably work as a preservative.. I'll have to do some research on that and get back to you.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Hmmm, might skip the ashes. Don't you leach those for lye for tanning?
    I haven't tried preserving with honey or maple syrup yet. I still haven't quite got the hang of using sugar when doing that. Almost all my grape jelly is pourable ice cream topping instead of jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Almost all my grape jelly is pourable ice cream topping instead of jelly.
    Add Pectin!

The burn is a harsh mistress, so to speak. Even prepared folks get the snot knocked out of them. It's well worth the effort though. A lot of you folks might be surprised how much the Burning man Community and the "survival" community overlap. There is this whole thing about self reliance and sustainability, and green living that is a common thread. It's a damn shame the shut down the Drive By Shooting Gallery though... That was a whole lot of fun!
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

The ratio of pectin to sugar has to be exact. Not a little high or low but exact or you'll wind up with syrup. The instructions that come with the pectin will specify how much of each. Don't eyeball it or you won't get jelly.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LowKey, I do leach the lye out of ashes to take the hair and grain off skins. It takes about half a 5 gallon bucket to get enough lye. We are talking about a tablespoonfull or maybe a little more added to a LOT of foodstuff. In such a small ratio there is little danger of lye in your food. there are a lot of foodstuffs you eat right now that have more in them than that. Here's one good example: Tums
    Look at the active ingredient in Tums. Calcium Carbonate. CaCO3
    that's the exact same thing as hydrated lime, like you put on seed potatoes before you plant them. It's the same thing Pickles are made with (Mrs. Freshley's) if you make your own pickles. 1lb of Mrs. Freshley's pickling lime in a 5 gallon bucket of water will do the EXACT same thing as hardwood ashes, and at times when I didn't have ashes to use, I've used Mrs. Freshleys Pickling Lime to the same end. It will take hair off skin, (Nair is the same thing...)or stop heartburn. Have no fear. In such small quantities, like for flavoring, there is no danger.
    Hardwood ash contains CaCO3 and KOH (potassium hydroxide). KOH is what Red Devil lye crystals are. Sounds really scientific for such a simple-seeming hobby, eh?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures