Thread: Surviving an Alaska Goose Attack

How do you prevent a Goose attack
    Last edited by sjj; 02-01-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Dear sjj,

My friends and I have read that making yourself appear as large as possible is an affective way to ward off an attack. However, in the book, "Conquering Your Fear of Geese" by H. Onk he says, "...spreading your arms to make yourself appear larger is a common mistake many have made during an attack. Raising their wings in courtship is an integral part of their mating ritual. By raising your arms you have signaled to any females that you intend to steal their partner thereby provoking them. If no females are present then the male is sure to interpret your move as an amorous advance resulting in unrelenting offers of dinner and dancing."

Who's right?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

A tongue in cheek observation from the Peoples Republic of NJ. In the event of an attack by a goose or geeses wash your hands ,get out you bib, supper will be served shortly

THat does have some basis in fact. As I grew up on a farm in upstate NY, my grand father and father had no time for fowl with attitudes. The first attack was always the last ,followed by a good meal. The "word" Seemed to eventually get around with the flock, attacks soon diminshed.
    Last edited by Pal334; 01-31-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Last paragraph
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Good work sjj.

Now for roosters,keep them in front of you,watch their body language.

If he has his head cocked to the side,and dacing with his wings slightly spread and side stepping,he is in the mood for love,and he has chosen you as his mate.

If he faces you head on with his neck feathers ruffled,he is in the mood to whoop your a$$,and in both instances will attack you from behind.
    Last edited by nell67; 01-31-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

So whats next? goose spray?
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Nell
    if he has his head cocked to the side,and dacing with his wings slightly spread and side stepping,he is in the mood for love,
    Oh, sure, NOW you tell me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, sure, NOW you tell me.
    What? the love dance?
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    A tongue in cheek observation from the Peoples Republic of NJ. In the event of an attack by a goose or geeses wash your hands ,get out you bib, supper will be served shortly

THat does have some basis in fact. As I grew up on a farm in upstate NY, my grand father and father had no time for fowl with attitudes. The first attack was always the last ,followed by a good meal. The "word" Seemed to eventually get around with the flock, attacks soon diminshed.
    I agree! In a true suvival situation you should get as nice big stick ,boat oar, or machette even, and provoke such an attack! Just pretend your play'in baseball and keep your I on the ball...LOL! Nothing like dinner coming to you!

Keep in mind geese are tough, mean and pretty big! They may also fly up at you so the baseball game may turn to tennis...LOL!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Talking

Gotta agree with you Pal 334... I'm a big fan of port and fig sauce. Also, soak the thing in tequila for about an hour ...helps pull the fat out so your fire doesn't flare up while you cook it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Remember men your privates are the wrong height in a full frontal alpha goose attack...... which a friend learned painfully last summer, I thought his wife was going to wet herself she laughed so hard.........

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Remember men your privates are the wrong height in a full frontal alpha goose attack...... which a friend learned painfully last summer, I thought his wife was going to wet herself she laughed so hard.........
    Well maybe I should'a said, keep an eye on YOUR BA!!S...LOL
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Nasty things when provoked.....I agree.

They get kinda aggressive at the golf course, except when you use your 12 ga "shooting iron"
    (one of our best hunting spots was just across the fence from a golf course, the golfers would let us sorta "spook" the geese so they could play through)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The thing I like second best about geese is they aren't bullet proof.

But, if you're considering taking one on mano-a-mano, I once saw film footage of a Canada goose beating a red fox to death with his wings.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

You know why they wear those hoods? You guessed it. Ninja Geese.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I think I've been hanging out here too long, I did guess it.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

The back of my leg just under my right cheek got snatched up by a swan once.I learned a lesson that day.Never get too close to a female sitting on a clutch of eggs.Her mate gets pissy real quick.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.