Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quad Accident

I watched am episode of I shouldn't be alive. I record the series and fast forward through most of the carp. Its 15 minutes of TV stretched out to an hour. LOL

Anyway, it was about a guy turned over a quad and got his legs pinned. He was pinned within ear shot of a farm house for four days. He was a paramedic and a survival "expert". He had fire steel, compass, and a signal whistle on a necklace.

The guy who found him by blind luck had also found an overturned quad with a dead hunter underneath it the year before.

Feels like this lesson getting drilled home for me. Ribs are still pretty tender. Though definetly healing. I am thinking about doing some backcountry riding this weekend if I can find a partner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I watched am episode of I shouldn't be alive. I record the series and fast forward through most of the carp. Its 15 minutes of TV stretched out to an hour. LOL

Anyway, it was about a guy turned over a quad and got his legs pinned. He was pinned within ear shot of a farm house for four days. He was a paramedic and a survival "expert". He had fire steel, compass, and a signal whistle on a necklace.

The guy who found him by blind luck had also found an overturned quad with a dead hunter underneath it the year before.

Feels like this lesson getting drilled home for me. Ribs are still pretty tender. Though definetly healing. I am thinking about doing some backcountry riding this weekend if I can find a partner.
    I'm happy to hear you are healing up. If you go riding take it easy and don't over do it and don't forget to wear helmets.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Hmm... If that guy had a fire steel, chances are he had a knife too. You could make a pretty good signal fire with some chunks of rubber you cut from the tires. They would burn a good while and the black smoke should be seen if there was a house nearby. That seems odd that the guy wasn't seen for four days.

You can't be serious? Destroy my quad? Seriously? Somebody will be along....eventually.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Don't depend on just anyone to help. I fell off a "green" pole and landed on my back, kinda winded me. About 100yds away a guy was watching. He didn't move and I was too winded to holler and he could care less, just stood looking at me. When I got it together after the body check before I moved, got up and the man went into his house. I couldn't get him to answer his door so I cut his drop, just maybe I would get the repair job but didn't. People ignore others and don't care. Moral is take somebody with you that you trust.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
    Hmm... If that guy had a fire steel, chances are he had a knife too. You could make a pretty good signal fire with some chunks of rubber you cut from the tires. They would burn a good while and the black smoke should be seen if there was a house nearby. That seems odd that the guy wasn't seen for four days.

I don't know if he had a knife on his person. He was trapping in Northern Canada. I would imagine you would want to carry a knife in that situation. But, could you cut the tire into signal fire chunks and do so with out risking cutting yourself?

Your pinned face down and you'll have to cut the rubber behind your back. Then I'd have to get the rubber lit. I would need tinder and probably kindling for that, I would think.

That's one of the reasons I keep a lighter in my pocket. But, I was just thinking, I think they mentioned that he couldn't get into his pockets.

He had a broken axe with a hickory handle. He could have used the axe to try and scrape tinder from the handle and then busted of enough small slivers to kindle a fire to the rubber.

I have tried cutting tires and it ain't easy in front of you. I don't know about behind the back like that.

If he had a bright light he could have reached he would have been better served because the people kept coming out of the house. Maybe the time when a Surefire or something like it makes good sense.

Smile

Thanks for the post, I was in an Quad accident about 7 years ago, luckly i was with 2 other guys and they saw me go up the hill to fasy and wrong, I flipped and it came back at me I saw it and kicked it over and down the hill.
    I dislocated my shoulder and broke my collar bone, had to ride back to the truck and load it as they didn't think i had a broken collar bone, then i drove 2 hours home and told my wife to take me to emergency room,had to have surgery to fix it and quad is fine, BUT I never go riding alone and with out gear now as i didnt have any on me then.
    thanks again for the great post hope opens some eyes.

Must not have been a very pleasant ride back to the truck and then home. Glad you and the quad got out OK.