Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: poison ivy?

Default poison ivy?

So I learned that "touch-me-nots" that grow all OVER out here...can be used to treat poison ivy. I guess the juice you get from the stems and leaves are what you use. Has anyone ever used it? How does it work?
    My husband and son are VERY allergic to poison ivy and if it works really well, I may just use that instead of over the counter stuff that doesn't seem to do diddly squat.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

When I was a kid I got poison ivy really bad...once. My grandmother had me scratch it and open the sores up then used common bleach on it. It hurt like hell but I have never had poison ivy again. As a logger I was in contact with poison ivy and poison oak very regularly and never got it. I'm not sure if my body aquired an immunity to it or if the bleach caused it, not sure how or why that would be the case.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

You didn't scar from it?? Bleach is VERY hard on your skin...
    I usually wipe them down with rubbing alcohol to kill whatever oils/spore are still on them, and then pop them in the shower while I clean their cloths. Bleach kind of freaks me out a bit. When we played paintball, we had a cool system that cleared the guns by shooting alcohol down the barrel. I wish we still had something like that!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

No I did not scar at all. I use bleach often on my hands. Red Oak turns my hands black after a day of working in the mill. The only thing that takes it off is straight bleach. It does dry my hands out but that's about it. I have not seen or felt any adverse effects on my hands from using bleach, but some may have more sensitive skin. It works for me so who knows.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Default Touch Me Not or Jewel weed

"Touch-me-not or Jewelweed: Impatiens capensis

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Branching annual with distinctive orange to red funnel-shaped flowers. Touch-me-not is found primarily along roadsides, along the edges of streams and marshes, and in other noncrop areas throughout Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. "

From the Below web site:
    http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/ipaca.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The website doesn't point out the benefits of the Jewel Weed for cleansing the oils of the poison Ivy from your skin.

I can definitely say that the jewel weed works for me. I learned about it while identifying it in my back yard. As it turns out Poison Ivy and Jewel weed often grow in the same area.

Since I became aware of Jewel Weed I don't get a reaction from poison Ivy. I have poison Ivy under control in my yard because I dig it up and put it out in the trash. When I come in contact with Poison Ivy I immediately wash my hands with the jewel weed. I have had reactions since but only when the jewel weed is not in season. Despite washing with Technu products I still get a mild reaction.

I use and Keep Technu products on hand and
    http://www.technuextreme.com/

A friend makes Jewel Weed soap and that works well. I can try to get a recipe if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 01-27-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added photo
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ght=Jewel+weed

heres a thread on poison ivy from a while back
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

My wife and I gathered seeds from wild Jewel Weed last fall and planted them in the yard. I sure hope they come up. It's about the best as far as I can tell. The first and only time I've ever had PI was two years ago and it stopped the itch and dried it up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I would give you a guaranteed recipe for never, never getting it again but Rick would delete it. He censors some things that really work, out of personal fear I guess.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Indeed. That and self preservation.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

LOL!! I like you all more and more!

Nell! Thank you! I really should get better at that search option that's offered. Thanks.
    Sooooo happy to have first hand use though. The last thing I wanted to do was to test it on him because I read that it COULD work. It's great to know that I wouldn't be wasting my time! Woooot!!!!
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

Test it on him?!

"No, really honey, I read that pouring acid in your eyes will help. Now hold still before I smack you!"

He probably should have said, "I don't".

I usually grab the Fels Naptha soap if I know I've been in contact with PI.
    Haven't tried jewelweed. I don't think it grows here in quite the same places as Poison Ivy. All our PI is in upland areas. Jewelweed likes wet feet.

It's been said that for every poisonous plant found in nature, there is an antidote growing near by.
    Just up to us to figure out what that might be.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    It's been said that for every poisonous plant found in nature, there is an antidote growing near by.
    Just up to us to figure out what that might be.
    Hops grows near barley?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Hops grows near barley?
    I usually find mine pretty much together, LOL.

hehehehehe.......It must be true then.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There's another plant that is good for Poison Ivy. The Dock plant (Rumex sp). It took me a while to remember that much. Getting old. I'd have to find an herbal to figure out how to use it though. It's not as simple as rubbing with a leaf.

I have a love/hate relationship with the wiki...
    You made me go get the herbal.
    The remedy for itching skin irritations is to make a tincture of Yellow Dock (Rumex crispus) Red Dock (R. aquaticus) or Water Dock (R. hydrolapathum) by "boiling the root in vinegar until the fibers are soft then mixing the pulp with lard" and applying to the affected area. Roots are best when collected in March.
    As with anything herbal, use at your own risk.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

my mom who is allergic to everything in God's creation tried a poultice of Lady's Thumb. cleared her up after about 2 days.

I'm like doug. I don't get poison Ivy or Oak, but sumac or cowitch will eat me alive. I guess it's from going barefoot so much and being in contact with it a lot. maybe I built up an immunity, I dunno.

Fels Naptha or Lye Soap help draw out the oils too. I keep some in the truck (lye soap) in case my help who is also allergic, gets in some when cleaning in the bushes around houses. Lady's thumb is easily identifiable by the leaves whether in flower or not. It's a "smartweed" lol so 2d2k had better not try it!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures