Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: poison ivy?

The jewel weed has exploded this year. I'll get some pics later today but I'm amazed how well it has done. That's in spite of the fact that we had one of the worst growing seasons last year. My lawn suffered terribly but the jewel weed did great guns. They sure dropped a lot of seeds and it looks like all of them germinated.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My jewelweed seeds still have not sprouted, that gryff sent me. Save me some seeds Rick? I already checked the local laws regarding invasives, etc., and this is not one of them, so it's okay to plant them here. I have to admit that it's not one I've ever just walked up on, in the woods. Some states classify it as an invasive, but I haven't seen any of it around here.

Sorry to hear that. Some articles say that it needs to be winter sown.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 05-14-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: stuff
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I've got it growing in the shade of a heavily wooded hedge'row on the farm...
    It is the spotted touch-me-not and produces the tiny orange pitcher-like flower...
    It's exactly like the specie Rick has pictured "surprizingly in captivity" as I've never
    been successful transplanting it nor managed to secure seed and flowers late summer
    and fall...The stem & leaves have a sweet/pleasant aroma and it grows thick in patches.
    It's oils work well in neutralizing the oils of poisonous plants and I feel it yeilds an active
    characteristic difficult to maintain as it doesn't seem to have a shelf-life worthy holding
    as "PreachtheWORD" & "I", for that matter, have attempted...It seems to enjoy short
    periods of daily direct sunlight but prefers shade like Rick's captive plant portrays...I dunno
    JP', It's something you've gotta keep your eyes peeled for as it's the small Orange or Yellow
    flower that catches my eye when sought............................................ ..........BH51..

Here's a pic of the flower (taken at the first Jamboree in Indiana).

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I often find it in the wild either on the edge of a woods or just inside the edge but always in a damp location. I've also found deep in the woods but usually in a damp hollow. It can take some direct sunlight but as BH said it prefers filtered or indirect light. Below is as much direct light as they will receive where they are growing and it only lasts a couple of hours around noon. Here's some pics of this years crop.

YCC - I'd be happy to send you some seeds this fall. It's no trouble at all. I just sprinkled them on the ground in the fall and did nothing else. They came up on their.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I use Fels Naptha soap. It is an old fashioned laundry bar soap. Cuts through the oils for the ivy.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please do Rick. This is a plant I've been wanting to study and propagate in my area for family use. I think it would be a nice additive to the beeswax/propolis soap, and perhaps even my lye soap. I'll have to look up the saponification table for it's oils, and research whether it's usefulness is destroyed by that process. Definately something I've wanted to toy with for a while now. TIA!

I think I have read some were that the seeds have to winter in the ground before they germinate. I can't find the reference.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.