Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for knappers

ycc: that stone doesn't look outstanding, but it's better than a lot of the suff i've had to work with.

i miss having a supply of obsidian. i've actually been knapping basalt on and off the last year or so.

your points are not bad. thanks for sharing.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

h63, I'll try some rougher steel. The piece I tried raw didn't spark either, I think this crude of rock just doesn't have enough silica per limestone quantity to throw sparks. I'll also try shaping the rock differently.
    Thanks canid. I'm not trying to make art pieces, just functional points. I'd love to trade out some obsidian to play with. this rock likes to break short of the end of a flake and it winds up one-sided in regard to the center plane. I blame the vacancies left by the fossils, but honestly I haven't been knapping long enough to determine the actual cause.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

Default progressive flaking

got to spend some time with my knapper friend today who gave me a few tips... I learned the importance of Progressively flaking a piece down. apparently I was pushing too deep into the center of the rock, trying to take too much material off a rough surface. It needs to be worked gradually toward concave and then the flakes pull off long and straight. For the first time today, I made a point where all the bands met symmetrically in the middle.
    Then I immediately broke it while trying to flute it. hahaha
    oh well, If you ain't breakin 'em, you ain't makin em, eh FVR?
    I was also shown the critical importance in abrading and setting up your platform properly. I have to admit, I was basically banging rocks together, but after about 30 minutes today of hands on mentoring, I spent about an hour and made a point roughly 4" long, 3/4" wide, and 3/8" thick.
    first piece is cooked "nervaculite" and flaked like butter, but I broke it a couple times while working on it.. I thought it was too brittle for my taste. second pic is some local rock and it was harder to flake, uncooked, but I thought it held up well under the pressure much better without breaking than the cooked rock.
    so there you have it.. pushing too deep with a bad platform was the culprit.. no wonder my hands were getting so sore!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Nice work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

More great info from the man with a plan! They look great! Thanks Bro!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

So easy a caveman can do it.....

Very nice!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So easy a caveman can do it.....

Very nice!!
    Yeah, thats the ticket, I get it, LOL.

Yes, very nice work.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

seems like while life grows ever more complex, we begin to overlook the simple and obvious. thanks for the compliments. Next time I meet with Craig, we'll be setting up a cooking pit (or either an old oven) and (hopefully) heat treating some of the local rocks the right way.
    thanks for the compliments, I know the second one is still pretty crude, but I'm learning and thats what's important.

I wanna make that my slogan... so easy a caveman can do it
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Hey, it's true.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I know.. but it won't fit.. need 2 more letter spaces in the field lol. I tried hahaha

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Add it to your signature.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel