Thread: Food, fencing, and protection

Default Food, fencing, and protection

Just a thought to toss out. If you live in a temperate area with a good water source you might try running sugar cane along the edge of your property and/or blackberry brambles to make a hedge natural fence with the sharp grasses of the cane or thorns of the berries to dissuade the curious from getting too nosey on your property as well as providing sugars and food.

D.O.M.
    Last edited by Durtyoleman; 01-25-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Not a bad idea, especially considering how quickly brambles spread.

Even if you have a huge swath of land, if you dig & divide your brambles religiously for a few years, you'll have hundreds of plants.

I'll have to remember this one.

I won't do that again, had rasberries along back fence, very invasive, will even keep you out of the garden if not controlled.

Lots of wild black berries at the cabin, mostly let them be, but can be invasive also.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This can work well. Plants like these can help protect windows and other potential entry points to your home.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

My first wife liked roses thus I learned about thorns...LOL they do dissuade people. I prefer to grow things that will feed me thus the blackberries. but if you are concerned they will draw people one could plant regular brambles then the berries just inside so they are not seen.
    D.O.M.
    Last edited by Durtyoleman; 01-26-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Just remember that bramble is outside that window when you need to escape the house for any reason.

Hawthorns make great hedging. Birds (including wild turkeys) like the little 'apples' they grow. And you can't beat the thorns, up to 2" long. Non-invasive, usually native. Just pick a low growing, exceptionally thorny kind and keep it somewhat under control. If they become trees, the thorns aren't where you want them.

We made the mistake once of planting blackberries too close to the driveway. Bird flight paths+Constantly having to wash the car=Sadness.
    Last edited by LowKey; 01-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.