Thread: Simple mod turning a small flashlight into a reading lamp

Banned

Default Simple mod turning a small flashlight into a reading lamp

Having never liked the concentrated beam of a flashlight to read a map or book by at night I figured this out and decided to share it.
    Take a white plastic aspirin or other OTC med bottle and remove the lable. Then see how close a fit the lamp end of the flashlight is to the opening of the pill bottle. I used a paper napkin folded in a strip the width of the lamp head and wrapped it around it tight and it fit snugly into the opening. The white plastic "bubble" diffuses the light of the flashlight and gives it a soft white glow. Great for reading or prerusing a map.
    Last edited by hoosierarcher; 01-24-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks for the tip.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, it is always reflecting off the paper and making it hard to read names...nice, easy fix. Thanks HA

Good stuff that you never think about. Thanks!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I discovered yesterday that the small Equate benadryl and immodium white plastic bottle fit snug without padding on my small flashlight. May be the same with minimag flashlights and other small torches. The are small "bubbles but still diffuse the light. Were my direction easy enough to follow? I can't post pics or vids right now.

Yes, gotta ya, good idea.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Very clear. Thanks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I found another use. My light has a lanyard I can hang it from the roof of my tent or other shelter as a lantern.

That's something I do quite a bit of. I've never used the cover, however, and I think that would be a big help. I've just hung it pointing down and used the peripheral light to read by or change clothes or whatever.