Thread: New knife, sad story.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Default New knife, sad story.

I have carried a Case Trapper in my right front pants pocket for about 20 years. Unfortunately it took 2 different knives to cover the 20 years until today. Now the number has risen to 3 knives. I was repairing the waterline (froze and busted due to the last cold spell) to my dog kennel this morning and after I got the waterline repaired I realized my pocket knife was missing.

I looked everywhere for it, but alas it was not to be found. It is probably buried somewhere in the ditch with the waterline. Since I feel naked without that knife in my pocket I drove to the hardware store to get another Case Trapper. I lucked out and they had a red bone handled Trapper that was a twin for the one I lost. It had even been finished to look like it had been carried for several years. I am just glad that I could afford to get another; because I would feel strange walking around feeling like I was naked.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family, and my condolences on your loss.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Was that a plastic line to the doghouse? If so, you might consider a metal detector and see if you can locate the knife.

By the way, your doghouse is a lot fancier than mine. Your wife must think a whole lot more of you than mine does of me. Mine makes me knock on the back door if I want a drink.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nothing worse than losing a knife! I remember losing my Gerber multi tool one night while I was working on a broken pole. I couldnt get to the store to replace it for a few days and I cant tell you how many times I reached for it while it was gone. Good to hear you were able to replace it so quickly but I am sorry for your loss!

I want to offer my condolences as well, that really bites.
    Too bad your down there, and I'm here, I would offer my metal detector to help find it.

I wore a Gerber 'touche belt buckle knife since early eighties.(knife folded into the buckle)
    Clearing brush at " The Place", and, you gotta know it, came up missing.
    As I had been in thick brush all day, I didn't have a clue as to where it might be.

As the buckle was still there, I keep reaching for it, and made me even sad-er every time I remembered it was gone.
    Looked every where for a week, on and off, no dice.

Got ahold of Gerber, and they hadn't made these since 1988, found a couple on eBay for a couple hundred dollars........no way.
    The lady at Gerber even searched around the shop/warehouse, she must have been a knife person.......still no dice.

So I retired the buckle, just so I wouldn't pizz myself off every time I reached for it.

After a couple of weeks, just wouldn't give up on finding it, I happened to step on it in tall grass, saw something shiny, and there I was!

Put it back in the buckle and it's staying retired, in a place of honor.
    So don't give up hope.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I want to offer my condolences as well, that really bites.
    Too bad your down there, and I'm here, I would offer my metal detector to help find it.

I wore a Gerber 'touche belt buckle knife since early eighties.(knife folded into the buckle)
    Clearing brush at " The Place", and, you gotta know it, came up missing.
    As I had been in thick brush all day, I didn't have a clue as to where it might be.

As the buckle was still there, I keep reaching for it, and made me even sad-er every time I remembered it was gone.
    Looked every where for a week, on and off, no dice.

Got ahold of Gerber, and they hadn't made these since 1988, found a couple on eBay for a couple hundred dollars........no way.
    The lady at Gerber even searched around the shop/warehouse, she must have been a knife person.......still no dice.

So I retired the buckle, just so I wouldn't pizz myself off every time I reached for it.

After a couple of weeks, just wouldn't give up on finding it, I happened to step on it in tall grass, saw something shiny, and there I was!

Put it back in the buckle and it's staying retired, in a place of honor.
    So don't give up hope.
    Happy endings often bring a tear to my eye.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The metal detector is a good idea, but I have an electric line and a water line in the same ditch. Would the detector pick up the electric line?

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat1958 View Post
    The metal detector is a good idea, but I have an electric line and a water line in the same ditch. Would the detector pick up the electric line?
    Yeah, big time, would be a real PITA, to try to determine what was what.
    Too bad, that really sucks.

Unless..........you dropped it somewhere near the ditch and it just got covered up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think most metal detectors detect ferrous and non ferous metal independant from each other. Knife may be ferrous, copper is not.
    Last edited by madmantrapper; 01-24-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: correct typo
    Example is not the main thing in influencing others it is the ONLY thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat1958 View Post
    I could find it with my detector, no problem. Even if you taped the knife to the electric line, I could still find it. Iron (steel) on my detector gives off a distinctly different tone than copper; most high-end detectors do. I would sweep the line from one end to the other hearing a high beep tone as I went down the line. As soon as you hear a single lower tone, there it is.

How deep is the trench?

The deepest part is about 18 inches.

Yeah SwampRat, the higher end detectors will find it at that depth in a matter of minutes! Don't give up hope! Some like White's will distinguish between different type coins even, at a depth of twice your water line's depth! Heck, you might even know someone that has a good detector.

Quote Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
    I could find it with my detector, no problem. Even if you taped the knife to the electric line, I could still find it. Iron (steel) on my detector gives off a distinctly different tone than copper; most high-end detectors do. I would sweep the line from one end to the other hearing a high beep tone as I went down the line. As soon as you hear a single lower tone, there it is.

How deep is the trench?
    I glad y'all brought this up, I guess I never tried it near electric lines, I know mine does a pretty good job of picking up differences between say, pop tops and coins.......hmmmmmm thanks.
    Still doesn't do Swamprat much good, unless he has some one around that has one.

It's not really lost, it's just that your keeping it in a place you can't use it right now.
    Hang in there.

Hey Swamprat. Monroe is a good sized town. I'll bet if you did a quick search of metal detecting clubs you'd find one in your area.

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/ is a good site with lots of forums. Introduce yourself and tell them your story and I'll bet you'll find someone in your area who would love to come find it for you. Most metal detector guys love to do this sort of thing. No charge, just the joy of seeing someone reunite with their own sentimental treasure.

I feel for ya. Lost a Case stockman while hunting a long while back that I carried for years. I now mostly pocket a Victorinox Farmer model attached to my belt loop with a paracord lanyard and caribiner to help prevent such a heart breaker. It would be exceedingly difficult to loose my knife now with this set up. I do really like the Farmer model just as much, if not more than my old Case but it took a while to get that "old friend" feeling back. I still miss my Case when I see a nice "worn in" one come from someone's pocket. I find the Victorinox Farmer's utility outweighs my oldie for my needs though. I guess bad things turn out just fine in the end after all. Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockcop
    I now mostly pocket a Victorinox Farmer model attached to my belt loop with a paracord lanyard and caribiner to help prevent such a heart breaker. It would be exceedingly difficult to loose my knife now with this set up.
    Yeah, if I ever lost my pants while out hunting I'd have some 'splainin' to do for sure.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ya know Rick, there was that time........,Oh nevermind. You nor my wife would believe me.

I always loose stuff when I put it in a "safe" place so I don't loose it. Then, i forget where that "safe" place is.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee