Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "HELMETS"......Survival Helmets.....What works....?

The NVDs will run for 40+ hrs on a set of AAs....and the headset will run for about 18 hrs constant on....the LED flashlights will go for days of constant on.

I Have no illusions about running around in the woods living off the land for any real amount of time. it is about a 3 day hike to the BOL.....that's why I base my time away from resources at about 5 days.

If all goes well....we'll be able to drive it.

Most folks I know have never tried to go for a true "living off the land" experience.

Most high tech gear I have would be tossed if I were going to be out in the wild for any real amount of time.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

depends on if you want to blend in

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...e_result_group

Could be a real good idea if Comicon goes array.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I, too, have never thought about this.
    My pickup toolbox is full, and I am running out of room behind the seats...
    I have to think about this.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Actually, the batteries were a joke. KY was right, I really do have to start adding Bazinga! at the end of my jokes. Oh, Crap! That's twice this week we've agreed. The Mayans have to be right. We're spiraling down as I type.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My helmets are for more general patrol once the BOL is reached.....Once my kevlar is done....it will live at the BOL.

Where did you buy the PASCT helmet? Did you get it used?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Where did you buy the PASCT helmet? Did you get it used?
    New old stock....ebay. It came with a new Skydex pad suspension system and chinstrap.

One left...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140730978183...84.m1497.l2648

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

I have a couple hard hats and while I use them as protective gear while using a chain saw, etc. I have considered them as survival preps for one reason only. If you consider scenarios like the tsunamis where homes are destroyed over a wide swath, and no rescue is coming, you may want to enter a collapsed building to do a rescue, e.g. your house is pancaked and family members are stuck inside and every other house in the area is also pancaked. At a minimum you'll want some rope and some protective gear like a hard hat and gloves.

Hard hats are cheap and you may want a couple if you don't have anything but if you have some sort of helmet that is higher quality I'd say use it and skip the hard hat.

The only helmet I have is a bike helmet. Were I bugging out on foot, I probably wouldn't hold onto it, but my bov is my bike, so I would have it, if the time came. While having a helmet just on the off-chance that I need it for building exploration or to prevent head-blows from zombie hunters seems unlikely, I'm sure I'd be happy to have it on the rare occasion that I'd want it for reasons other than riding. I just don't see a helmet as that essential. Then again, head-blows have caused later complications that needed to be surgically corrected in three people on my father's side of the family, so I might be prone to brain-bleeding.

It's hard to say which way I'd go on this, but thankfully I don't really have to choose, as the helmet is a necessity for using my bov safely.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Looks good Echo. Are you going to paint it?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Looks good Echo. Are you going to paint it?
    Yup....after I mount the NVD hook up.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

The only helmet I would want is a bullet proof helmet just in case times get serious. I have no idea what a bullet proof helment would cost but I would like to have one!

Ballistic helmets start at about $300 and go up from there.......sometimes way up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Or....you can paint a target on the back of someone else's head while they are asleep. That would be a lot cheaper.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    The only helmet I would want is a bullet proof helmet just in case times get serious. I have no idea what a bullet proof helment would cost but I would like to have one!
    I'm not sure such a thing exists. Even the best helmets our military has are just meant to stop stray bits of shrapnel. To expect them to be bulletproof against anything high-powered or heavy in mass would be wishful thinking.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    I'm not sure such a thing exists. Even the best helmets our military has are just meant to stop stray bits of shrapnel. To expect them to be bulletproof against anything high-powered or heavy in mass would be wishful thinking.
    Well there would also be a very hard head inside the helmet What the heck, maybe I don't need one after all!

Actually, the ACH helmet has to be able to stop a 9mm at five separate points on the helmet. I don't think I want the job of wearing it during testing.

Lexicon safety glasses do not stand up to a 12 ga blast at 6 feet.......as advertised by a vendor....I tried it.

I don't believe that any helmet would stop a bullet, but I still like B's idea of the bicycle helmet.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This is not very scientific but they will stop them. Kevlar is some pretty amazing stuff. Aspirin anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVuJniqg4gc

Here's a little more real world

http://www.geek.com/news/advanced-co...-shot-1536798/