Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Basic Kit to Keep in the Vehicle

  1. #1

    Default Basic Kit to Keep in the Vehicle

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTRk8jaBkxw

    this is what i carry at the moment if you have any add in ideas, im open to them
    Its better to Have it and not need it, then need it and not have it


  2. #2
    Senior Member BornthatWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Staunton,Va
    Posts
    867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It definitely is bare bones. I would find a blanket to keep in the truck as well. Sometimes if you are stuck the temperature in the day is nice but at night it can get much cooler and those survival blankets do not work as well as people think.

  3. #3

    Default

    I have a coat i typically keep in the truck, but ill see about getting a blanket in there as well
    Its better to Have it and not need it, then need it and not have it

  4. #4

    Default

    I second the real blanket idea, as well as a small tarp, a water jug/canteen, I would also think about adding a ferro rod and striker.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks guy the tarp is going in the truck eventually i just have to figure out where to put it, and as i said i have two big water bottles under my driver seat
    Its better to Have it and not need it, then need it and not have it

  6. #6
    Quality Control Director Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    16,724
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I can barely fit a couple of bags of groceries in the trunk of my Mustang. The rest of the room is taken up by gear. I carry a large first aid kit; a well stocked tool bag with a few spare parts, automotive fluids, a small compressor, and repair supplies; a pack with at least 2 versions of each of the Ten Essentials including a small stove with a couple of small propane bottles; spare clothing (including a dress shirt, tie, suit, and shoes) for winter and summer; several non-perishable cold/heat resistant food items and water (with room for freezing expansion); a complete shaving kit filled with men's toiletries; a few essential prescription medications with copies of the scripts; 2 cell phone chargers and a back-up cell phone; a commercial two-way radio with charger; 2 wool blankets; a spare briefcase; and some well hidden cash together with an emergency-use-only credit card with no duplicate anywhere.

    I was driving with a client one day when a defective coolant hose blew out. I went into my trunk, got what I needed, made the repair wearing gloves I keep in my tool kit, and added water and coolant to the system, and drove on. He joked that I had everything imaginable in my trunk, and responded that he had no idea. He said he'd give me (as I remember it was) $10.00 if I had a Q-Tip back there. I asked if he'd give me $10.00 for each one, and he laughed and said "yes." He stopped laughing when I went back into the trunk, reached into my shaving kit, and handed him about 25 Q-Tips.

    My Mustang is stuffed. My SUV is even worse, LOL.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

  7. #7

    Default

    i have tools and a compressor in my tool box as well as booster cables but in Canada everyone has boosters and a compressor...at least everyone i know lol i guess i should really say everything i have next time even if i think its "standard" lol
    Its better to Have it and not need it, then need it and not have it

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I can barely fit a couple of bags of groceries in the trunk of my Mustang. The rest of the room is taken up by gear. I carry a large first aid kit; a well stocked tool bag with a few spare parts, automotive fluids, a small compressor, and repair supplies; a pack with at least 2 versions of each of the Ten Essentials including a small stove with a couple of small propane bottles; spare clothing (including a dress shirt, tie, suit, and shoes) for winter and summer; several non-perishable cold/heat resistant food items and water (with room for freezing expansion); a complete shaving kit filled with men's toiletries; a few essential prescription medications with copies of the scripts; 2 cell phone chargers and a back-up cell phone; a commercial two-way radio with charger; 2 wool blankets; a spare briefcase; and some well hidden cash together with an emergency-use-only credit card with no duplicate anywhere.

    I was driving with a client one day when a defective coolant hose blew out. I went into my trunk, got what I needed, made the repair wearing gloves I keep in my tool kit, and added water and coolant to the system, and drove on. He joked that I had everything imaginable in my trunk, and responded that he had no idea. He said he'd give me (as I remember it was) $10.00 if I had a Q-Tip back there. I asked if he'd give me $10.00 for each one, and he laughed and said "yes." He stopped laughing when I went back into the trunk, reached into my shaving kit, and handed him about 25 Q-Tips.

    My Mustang is stuffed. My SUV is even worse, LOL.
    The Jeep, is a travaling BOB, I honestly cant think of anything that isnt in there, sleeping bags, tent, tarps, tools, first aid kit, water jugs, fuel can. shovel, ax, spare cloths, extra ammo, a 22 rifle. And then add my GHB, and MY bob if im heading out of town or camping. God help me if I ever get an RV.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoltActionJLA View Post
    i have tools and a compressor in my tool box as well as booster cables but in Canada everyone has boosters and a compressor...at least everyone i know lol i guess i should really say everything i have next time even if i think its "standard" lol
    What we consider standard a lot of people do not! Like wool blankets, to me that is a standard item. as well as MRE's!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

  10. #10
    Quality Control Director Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    16,724
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    What we consider standard a lot of people do not! Like wool blankets, to me that is a standard item. as well as MRE's!
    I've gotta' remember to pick up some new wool blankets. The two I carry in the Mustang (still sealed in their original plastic bag) are part of a small lot of gray wool military blankets I picked up years ago. They're warm as can be but scratchier than you can imagine. Delicate washing several times - even heavy doses of fabric softener - and air drying does nothing to improve them.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I've gotta' remember to pick up some new wool blankets. The two I carry in the Mustang (still sealed in their original plastic bag) are part of a small lot of gray wool military blankets I picked up years ago. They're warm as can be but scratchier than you can imagine. Delicate washing several times - even heavy doses of fabric softener - and air drying does nothing to improve them.
    They can get a bit pricey, but check into washable Merino wool blankets. For the savings, I've just learned to tolerate the itch.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I've gotta' remember to pick up some new wool blankets. The two I carry in the Mustang (still sealed in their original plastic bag) are part of a small lot of gray wool military blankets I picked up years ago. They're warm as can be but scratchier than you can imagine. Delicate washing several times - even heavy doses of fabric softener - and air drying does nothing to improve them.
    sounds like the swiss army blankets I have, got them a couple years ago from CTD, 5 blankets for 20 bucks. now I know why there so cheap, there warm just ruff.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

  13. #13
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    57,344

    Default

    For water I use a 2 quart military canteen. In winter, I fill it with 1 quart of water, squeeze the air out then cap it. That gives the water room to expand when it freezes. In summer I fill it with 2 quarts. It's worked fine for a few years.

    I have road flares, cyalum, Esbit stove and fuel, canteen cup, Bunny boots, thermal pants, wool blanket, goggles, face mask, wood saw, Marbles Devil's Trail shovel, backpack with water purifier, two straight blade knives, energy bars, 2 MREs, and some other stuff I can't think of at the moment. 2 rolls of toilet paper.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    43,817
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    What is this winter of which you speak?
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  15. #15
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    57,344

    Default

    He's one of the members here.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    43,817
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    You fill him with a quart of water and then squeeze the air out? You Indiana folks sure are kinky......but I guess the Alaska folks like it, so it's OK.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  17. #17
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    57,344

    Default

    You have to wear a gas mask when you squeeze the air out. I forgot to mention that.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Old GI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dunnellon, FL
    Posts
    1,718

    Default

    In addition, I keep a small sleeping bag for snow days. Only need on because lively bride will be walking for he...........Uh-Oh!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

    Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

  19. #19
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,866

    Default

    I like the layer approach:

    1 st layer- Pockets, stuff you ALWAYS carry.
    2nd- Jackets, coveralls, jump suits etc. (mine are generally designed to do some type of work, hunting, fishing, etc
    3rd- Fanny pack/vest, (do take this hunting, fishing, 4 wheeling, boating)
    4th- Carry packs, in home/garage/retreat and vehicle.
    5th- Vehicle it self.
    6th- Home its self. (Most of your preps).

    Our BOV is just a plain black "Everyman" 1999 Ford F-150 Crew cab, 4 X 4. No markings OR since I wrote this F-250 out-fitted the same way, pretty much.

    Looks like average Joe’s on-pavement daily driver. BUT
    Heavy duty springs and shocks, bigger mud/snow tires.

    It's possible that this is over kill, but it fits pretty well.

    Carries full compliment of "get out of "stuck" gear"....ax, hatchet, shovels, jacks (3), one “48“ farmer jack, tow straps, 30ft chain, come-a long, chainsaw, 2-1/2 gal stabilized gas or 19 volt electric chain saw....

    Air compressor, fix a flat kits (plugs), road side kit w/light sticks, and road flares.

    12 battery cables/booster battery, inverter, battery charger/booster/ extension cords/splitters

    Fix-a-flat (cans) WD-40, starter fluid, "Heat", spare belt, fuses. (and Manual)

    Pretty full set of hand tools.

    Cold weather/hunting clothing/boots, w/ fully loaded pockets.

    Sleeping bags/pad, dome tent, tarps, duck tape, several lengths/sizes rope/cordage

    Spare glasses, thumb drive with documents, spare cash, spare meds.

    Maps (remember those?)

    First aid kit

    10 day emergency food,( modeled after;

    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago104.html

    2 pounds of coffee

    2-1/2 gal water (in season), water purification, basic cooking, first aid, lighting (flashlights, Colman lantern, 12 volt trouble light, candles/candle lantern, fire extinguisher, propane heater.

    Weather radio, CB's-(on board/portable), Motorola Walkie talkies, battery powered scanner, GPS's (on board/portable) 12v to 115 v inverter…..spare batteries.

    12 ga shotgun (various ammo) .22/22mag revolver (various ammo) This varies by season and CCW of the day.
    Packaged fishing rod/reel/stuff.

    Mostly everything is packed in various belt bags/back packs/shoulder bags, to grab and go.
    AND 3 lb coffee can, w/TP and oil dry in it.

    Hope this helps, your on the right track, and remember: Old Mountain saying:
    The more you know, the less you have to carry……or get a bigger truck, after a bad case of , one more thing- ites.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  20. #20

    Default

    Something to keep in mind, if you leave a bag of cloths packed up for a long time, they somehow SHRINK while stored. I found that the pants I had in the jeep, did not fit anymore, I am blaming this strange Occurrence on the 2012 pole shift/planet alignment. So any long term clothing storage needs to be checked for this strange Occurrence.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •