Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Raising Chickens-Is it worth it? FYI

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    My rooster Butch chased the neighbors dog out of the yard the other day. I told him I was going to cook him one day and he gave me the "stink eye" so hard I reconsidered.

He is the only one of my bunch that does not run when I come out the door. He walks right up and talks to you like he was a person. He had a run in with the neighbor's tractor the other day and talked to me about that for quite some time.

I could not understand a word he was saying but he said it with intensity.

I think he's a Democrat.
    Get some of those small shock collars and get an invisable fence, that'l teach em!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Get some of those small shock collars and get an invisable fence, that'l teach em!
    Butch or the Democrats?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Butch or the Democrats?
    Both

Now, now fellas. Politik ist verboten.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Now, now fellas. Politik ist verboten.

This is not partizan politics Crash,

I feed Butch just like I do any of my Republican chickens.

The racoons ate my Independant chicken. That happens when no one has your back.

Provided that you can keep predators under control chickens are a great way to enhance preps. The cost and time you can store feed for fresh eggs is a good trade. However, I would advise if you live in a more urban area they will become more of a target than an asset in a SHTF situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Catullus View Post
    Provided that you can keep predators under control chickens are a great way to enhance preps. The cost and time you can store feed for fresh eggs is a good trade. However, I would advise if you live in a more urban area they will become more of a target than an asset in a SHTF situation.
    I actually enjoy the predator control aspect of keeping chickens. It reinfirces the limitations on the various calibers and what their usefullness actually is.

Just think of them as "bait".

Everything positive that one does makes one a target in a SHTF situation.

So does that make your varmint control firing position a "blind" (civilian) or a "Hide" (military)?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So does that make your varmint control firing position a "blind" (civilian) or a "Hide" (military)?
    I think the official term is a bacon tree, or possibly a hambush.

Yes that's it, I hambush them from the kitchen window!

Off the current trend but back on topic,

Three of my 5 hens are laying now. It is amazing how quickly one becomes conditioned to expecting food delivered on time. I went out this AM and found the nest box empty and was very upset. I checked again a couple of hours latter and there were my eggs waiting to be gathered.

When the eggs start comming in on schedule you quit wondering if the chickens are "worth it".
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-18-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Show them stew pot for a little motivation.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When the eggs start comming in on schedule you quit wondering if the chickens are "worth it".
    That's for sure. My layers are getting old (almost 2) and their eggs are HUGE. But they are less frequent. I have 6 layers and am averaging about 3 a day. Some days I get 2, others none. If I get a day with none, the next I get 6. These six have been pretty consistent and good layers. Too bad they get old so fast. But, I have 11 pullets growing to replace the six. I bought 12, but one turned out to be a rooster. I might have another rooster, but won't know until later. I am thinking February when they will start laying.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I am already considering adding to the flock next spring. I have 5 hens and would like 2-3 more. They hatched in April have just stared laying.

I have Austrolops and would like to add another breed to the group, possibly a mix of breeds since it is difficult to tell these girls apart.

Well since the girls seems to be afraid of chickens, we will have to get some that are gentle. What kind of chickens would that be?

Any chicken will be gentle if you associate with them frequently. And give them treats. My girls mess with them all the time, carrying them around the yard and such. If you start them when they are chicks, then your girls get more used to them, and chicks aren't very intimidating.

KY, as for breeds, I only have experience with 3. I added a fourth with this new flock, and we will see how they do. I started with Rhode Island Reds. They have been solid performers. They have laid the biggest eggs, the most frequently. They also take the winter here really well, with no heaters. My wife likes the Americana/Auracanas. The only reason she likes them is for the colored eggs. But, their eggs are smaller and they lay less frequent. They are also more timid, and get picked on by the others more. I have also had Silver Laced Wyondotts. They look pretty, but lay about as much as the Auracanas. They have been more aggressive and are usually the top of the pecking order. I didn't get any more Silver Laced, since they just don't produce like the RIRs. I did have a White Leghorn that pumped out the eggs pretty good, and the eggs were a good size. They are skinny and run faster than the others. With my new 12, 6 are RIRs, 4 Auracanas (for the wife, to make her happy) and 2 are Buff Orphingtons. I have heard good things about the Buffs so decided to give them a try. So far one of the RIRs turned out to be a rooster. You can tell early on them. It takes a while to tell on the Auracanas, so I don't know, maybe. I seem to always get a rooster when I buy a bunch of pullets. That is why I buy a few extra. Just as soon as they start crowing, they are dinner.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I'm so confused. Are chicks girls or are girls chicks? And are you giving treats to the chicks or girls...never mind. I'm lost.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I am declaring this a day of celebration!!

Today I got 5 eggs from my five hens! That is only 12 days after I got the first egg. The ones that started then are laying full sized eggs now and the late bloomers are laying small but perfect eggs.

These Astropops are bred from Orpingtons and they hold the world record for production, with one test group producing 350 eggs per chicken per year or some rediculious number like that.

Yes Wildthing, you need to let the girls play with the chicks and they will get used to each other. My birds come up and eat out of my hand, although they do not like for me to pick them up. I was working a lot when they were chicks and did not get they spoiled properly. After I pick them up they go calm but do not want me to grab them initially. My rooster follows me around like a puppy and supervises my projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm so confused. Are chicks girls or are girls chicks? And are you giving treats to the chicks or girls...never mind. I'm lost.
    The chickens come to me when I call them and accept bits of cracker and bread with great appriciation.

As for human females, I could not get any attention in a women's prision if I walked in with a stack of pardons.

Now that I understand. Sadly, I understand.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.