Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question for Horse People

Default A Question for Horse People

Is there a way to ride a horse without having to use a bit? (I'm not talking bare back like in some old Apache movies)

Yes. I don't ride horses, but my wife's family has three. You can use the reins and your knees to guide the horse. In my experience, most horses are trained with a bit, but I know of some where they don't use them.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Default hackamore

You can use a hackamore it is a stiff leather braided loop with a knot ball on the bottom kinda tear shaped. It goes over the snout and attaches to the reins. It takes some getting used for both the horse and rider. The hackamore applies pressure to points on the horses head depending which way the reins are pulled. Alot more comfortable for the animal, allows them to eat without removing tack or while stopped briefly.
    Last edited by southard; 02-03-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: elaboration
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

I have friends that do jousting. Their hands are too busy to handle reins, so I believe the horses are trained to obey knee cues.

I was going to suggest the hackamore too.
    But don't be fooled into thinking knee control is easy. Even after 5 years of dressage and jumping classes during my high school years, I never was able to control a horse just with knees and posture like the instructor. Both horse and rider have to be trained. And it's harder for the rider.

How did the indians do it?
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

I'm going to ditto on the Hackamore. As all but my first horse were raised by me, the training of both of us and the getting used to each other took quite quickly. There were times when the damn horse knew what I wanted to do before I did. If you are both trained, leg cues work quite well.
    I know what hunts you.

The Indians used something called a war bridle. It tied to the lower jaw of the horse.

I ride my horse to work cattle. I use the reins some but sometimes I don't have enough hands so my knees and feet. If you want to see bridleless check it out...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4JtW...eature=related
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

I use a bit, but I lead by neck reigning...pretty simple I just lay the reigns on his neck. The opposite of using the bit to command the horse. I use my knee's simultaneously with the neck reign. I trust my horse with my life but do understand his "flight" risk and will have a bit to maintain control if required.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Its kinda weird ya brought that up Benesse. My daughter is starting riding lessons tomorrow first time she's gonna be up close an personal with horses. I grew up around them and did rodeo through high school and 2 years after mostly roughstock. When I was akid they said I should do steer wrestling, cause I "oughta be doing something useful on the way down". Turns out I was better at staying on when they were buckin.
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."

bosals are good,voice cues or leg pressure work also. A horse is only as good as his teacher.

I'm with Cowboy, a bit for emergency. But, a horse can be trained to voice command, draft horses especially.

Gid-up is well known, as well as an associated mouth click. Whoa, as well.

Ever heard of Gee and Haw?

You can practice it if you'll build yourself a Whimmy Diddle. You should see a child's eyes light up when they see one operate. To understand just how it works requires some understanding of resonance, but I digress.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I have one of those. We call them whoopie sticks. The kids do get a kick out of them. They are pretty easy to build with a set of chop sticks and a popsicle stick for the propeller.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here's why I asked;
    I am a huge animal lover and care enormously that they be treated right. A friend took her young horse to a trainer to be "broken in" (he has never been ridden) and the A-hole trainer used the wrong bit in his mouth and really injured him. The horse protested from the start, but no one was paying attention; he eneded up with bleeding lacerations inside his mouth and had to be taken to the vet for a long course of treatment. He is betetr now, but he had suffered enormously.
    So I was thinking and trying to tell my friend that there HAS to be a better way. Just because she hasn't done it differently doesn't mean it doesn't exist. How one can love an animal and allow this, is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEUXDOG View Post
    The Indians used something called a war bridle. It tied to the lower jaw of the horse.

I ride my horse to work cattle. I use the reins some but sometimes I don't have enough hands so my knees and feet. If you want to see bridleless check it out...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4JtW...eature=related
    That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks, BD!

Careful of the "breed". Some can, some can't, just like people.

A docile draft is a joy to handle and train, a spirited Mustang is another can of worms.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

You are so right. Different strokes, as it were...but no reason to hurt them, I would hope.

Mine is a 16 hand Paint Qtr. Horse that thinks he is a stallion and believe me, I am more likely to get hurt than he is.....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

The horse my daughter rode today responded to whoa and walk on for voice commands. She is a 17 yo quarter I believe a surrender that a older woman got because she had horses when she was younger but forgot how much work they are. This was the sweetest animal Ive seen in a long time. My daughter was scared at first but fell in love with "Honey" by the end and can't stop talking about her abd riding again. There was also a Black and white Gypsy Baner (so believed cause he was abandoned) stallion killer horse from what I saw. This place was a rescue and she gives riding lessons to help pay the bills. Right now they have an *** with a bum hoof. named "Jack", that they are trying to raise money for so it can get x-rays and ferrier work done, Run by a wonderful lady who works with kids, disabled adults, and allows the community onto her property to visit the animals every Saturday. She had some real sad cases on there but they were good animals.

You could get some body to pull the horse with a lead rope or you can hold on to it's mane.[if it has one]