Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colored LED Flashlights - Runtime TEST

Must be where Chiney Spam Bots come from.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

An interesting test after the performance of the lights was determined would be to load the flashlights with various batteries. Duracell (copper top) vs Ever Ready vs Lith Ion vs rechargables.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Almost like the ever ready bunny in the battery commercials. I amenjoying your comentary, looking forward to seeing your conclucions
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Interesting. I have learned something already and Thanks!
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I am amazed at the longevity so far. Good advertisement for that brand of battery and light
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

The Gerber "Infinity" 1AA flashlight is now at the top of my "to get" list!
    That which you sew, so shall ye reap.
    United States Blowgun Association

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Got me interested and the burning time alone is much more than I expected.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Great thread, thaks for doing this. I don't have a Gerber but AI do have many other small LED lights. One I have been very impressed with is the Streamlight Nano. I bought one for my keychain and was given a second one as a gift. I used that second one extensively on my recent 6 day jungle trip, it puts out an amazing amount of light for something that small. IMO these tiny LED's are solid gold for survival kits. Just the runtime on the lights in this tesy is very impressive.

In actual use, unless stranded in a cave as mentioned, you only have to use them for 12 hours max. In my experience they are only lit for no more than a half hour or so a night total for normal camp chores after dark. I normally carry a 2 AA mini-mag with the LED conversion. Since I always have my AA camera with me and about 16 AA rechargables I'm assured that my primary light will be there for me. To habe the Nano and the Inova on my neck knife I'm pretty well covered.

One tip on AA batteries. When they go stone cold dead in my camera they still work 100% in my LED converted Maglight. So at the end of the trip when I have one set of working batteries for my camera left I have 14 others that work just fine in the LED. Amazing technology. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

On the AA's, I went with Nickle Metal Hydride batteries from Radio Shack. For some reason, the RS batteries seem to hold a charge far longer than the other commercial NiMH rechargable batteries out there and I've tried a bunch of them. They are sinfully expensive but still pay for themselves over time. Four batteries, fully charged, last my camera the whole time I'm out and I take a lot of pictures.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

nicely done. My current mini light is a Coast tac torch it is very bright for a mini light it uses (4)AG13 watch type batteries and is advertised to run 75 hrs. I can say i have had it for 1 1/2 years on my keychain and i am still on the original batteries mostly using it to unlock a door in the dark or other small task.

Thanks for the comprehensive test and report. I'll bet that the neighbors are glad that the "walking Christmas Tree" has taken down its decorations.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's amazing they lasted so long. That would translate to using these lights from sundown to sun-up for ten days straight. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks, sjj. That was a pretty comprehensive test and one that is pretty important. For someone trapped in the rubble in Haiti, for example, a flashlight that can last that long would not only be a huge mental help but quite possibly aid in your rescue. Well deserving of some reputation for certain. Thank you!!

I'm a flashlight guy too, always on the lookout for the next best, most efficient thing. I would highly recommend anyone who is interested in flashlights check out this forum:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/portal/index.php

This is a really, really excellent forum filled with experts and noobs alike, with every possible kind of discussion on every possible kind of light you can possibly think of, and that's a lot of possibles!

Here is another excellent site, run by a single guy, who specializes in very detailed evaluations and ratings of LED lights:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm
    Last edited by sgtdraino; 01-27-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2