Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colored LED Flashlights - Runtime TEST

Default Colored LED Flashlights - Runtime TEST

After 124.5 hours of continuous running, the Ultra WHITE, Original WHITE, and Original YELLOW were all making just barely enough light to close quarter read and maybe perform a tiny close up task. At this point, there is not much difference in light output between the three - they are just barely shinning.

At 126.5 hours, the WHITE went out.

At 129 hours, the YELLOW went out.

At 112 hours, ithe Original RED previously went out.

Batteries tested at .745, .75, and .782 volts.
    Last edited by sjj; 06-02-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the the test and continued review.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

THanks for taking the time. It could be , as you say a significant piece of information in bad times
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I don't think I've ever seen the Gerber lights. I appreciate the tests you are performing. Good information to know regardless of the manufacturer.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ditto, what the others said.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I'm staying tuned for more results.

Intresting, will be watching for results.
    Have you tried re-chargable batteries?
    As far as run time goes, good short term, but I would think you would want the whole picture.

I was using 2-AA batteries in my Mini mag,(like the "spot feature" of the standard bulb, but run time suffered) had re-chargable batteries in portable charger, plugged into a 100w inverter in my service truck. Unplug at nite.
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-21-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Now you got me lost again. The color of the glass determines how long a battery lasts? OK, since everyone already knows how smart I am tell me how.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

The white LED is the least effiecient of all the colors. I have been working with a vendor who makes a LED replacement for the fluorescent lights that we use on the ships, and that is their position. Nice thing about LED's is that in today's market they could be good for up to 100,000 hours, in fact one of the selling points is that the arrays' only have to be changed after eleven years. They are considered burned out at 80% of the original output. A battle lantern with a incandescent bulb, last about 8 hours and very dim for most of that time, with red led's about 70 hours. Also the colder the environment, the better the LED will work. With the proper power supply, and array's, you can get any color you want almost as fast as you can say the name of the color. There is another vendor that makes a LED that is 4" X 10" X 3/4", weighs 1.5 pounds and has the same light output as a 60 watt fluorescent that is 29"X10"X4", and weighs 16 pounds. Price is the only down fall today for LED's in the market place. I realize that this was about flashlights, I just got carried away.

Good stuff. I, for one, appreciate the post!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks sjj.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Thanks sjj. I appreciate the info.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I read this a couple of times, and am making an assumption that all batteries are the same, as I didn't see the type or brand spelled out?
    Intresting though I would not have thought that bulb color would make much difference.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I read this a couple of times, and am making an assumption that all batteries are the same, as I didn't see the type or brand spelled out?
    Intresting though I would not have thought that bulb color would make much difference.
    Thanks.
    Got ya covered here (I think)

" I loaded each light with a brand new Coppertop Battery with expiration date of 2017"
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Got ya covered here (I think)

" I loaded each light with a brand new Coppertop Battery with expiration date of 2017"
    You are correct, good eyes, I read that several times and I guess all those colors blinded me.
    Thanks.

Coot - You asked a very good question and I hate it when I don't know the answer to something so I had to go looking. Apparently, the type of material used as the semi-conductor determines the color of the light. Scroll down on this link. There is a graph that shows all the colors and what the materials are that make the color. Who knew?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Coot - You asked a v?ery good question and I hate it when I don't know the answer to something so I had to go looking. Apparently, the type of material used as the semi-conductor determines the color of the light. Scroll down on this link. There is a graph that shows all the colors and what the materials are that make the color. Who knew?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode
    Holy carp, this link has to be some where near the end of the internet?
    Good job, I agree, who would have thunk it

Hunter, stay away from the end of the internet. I understand you can fall of the earth way out there. The internet is flat, you know.

Hunter, stay away from the end of the internet. I understand you can fall of the earth way out there. The internet is flat, you know.
    LOL, LOL, that just made me think of an add I saw a while back, talking about high speed connections or some such.

The guy was just sitting there with a supprised look on his face, female charctor says, "Whats wrong?"
    He says, I'm done, I'm at the end of the internet!

I guess thats a long way......................to the end.

Yeah, they've got end of the Internet maps that say "beyond this point there be monsters"
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"