Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Savage 24

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Sorry, I don't but they are/were made by "Williams"Sight Co. or "Lyman" Sight Co. I would start with Brownell's Gun Parts. If you strike-out let me know.
    Cool thanks. I have a couple of other projects that I need to finish, and then I will probably start on this. At the moment I am working on a folding stock Savage 10. Gathering parts, and then the cutting, threading, and finishing starts.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Well, I guess patience pays off. Next week I should be picking up a 24v in .357 Magnum over 20ga. It is not cheap, but it is the first I have ever seen for sale around here, and I have been looking for well over a decade or more.
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Out of all the combinations they offered in the Savage 24 that particular one has to be in my top 17!

All kidding aside I think the .357/20ga or the 30-30/20ga would be my top two, and a difficult decision.

Also a decision I will probably never get to make, since I have also been searching for over a decade for what I could not afford when it was being produced.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

At one point I had looked at a 30-30 over 12 ga....Was that heavy......at the time I was'nt a "survivor or prep-per", just a hunter/gatherer....and though "Holy Molly is this heavy....why would anyone want to haul that around all day".

This was back when they were like $200 -250 or so........

Should have bought it.....

Can't say I have ever seen a .357/20 ga, but will keep my eyes open...not that I really "need it".....just because.

The last two New M24's I saw were a .17/20 ga and a .17/12 ga........and they stayed at Gander Mountain forever.

I think they were shipped out when the store re-did their gun section from the walk around racks and play with them... to the counters in the way, up on a locked rack....and no help, days.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-09-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: splin
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

They did get heavy in the big calibers, pricy too, for that era.

But wait!! there is hope!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...Picatinny+Rail

These are the old Baikal firearms. They are offered in combos Savage never considered, like 7.62x39/12ga. also in .223, .308 and a few others like .22 lr and .22 WRM over .410 just as the old/new Savages, and they are a better made gun than the new plastic wonder.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...crew+In+Chokes

The shotgun barrels can even be had with interchangeable choke tubes.

This is the same action type that was sold by Remington as their Spartan series a few years back. They are absolutely built like a bank vault, or a Russian peasant woman, your choice of terms.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-09-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Friend of mine just got an older Baikal .223/12 ga in a trade.
    He hasn't shot it yet, and doesn't look like anyone had shot it either......traded a Benelli Nova 12 ga for it....standard D.U. dinner prize issue......so he got a deal.....I think...LOL
    My M24 are .22 lr/20 ga Camper model...and .22 mag/20 ga standard length.....not sure which one I like the best....22 mag version is on the tractor when I'm mowing in the lower fields.

I own or have owned a few. .22/20ga Camper, 30-30/20ga, .22 mag/20ga, .22/.410, and now .357/20ga. All were fun. But I now only have the Camper, 30-30/20ga, and .357/20ga. The other two were traded off for other stuff. They were fun, but somewhat redundant to other stuff I normally use.

I'm finding I'm liking a scope more these days and the M24 can mount a scope....but is suggested (actually printed on the barrel) to not shoot the shotgun with it, and does get in the way for wing shooting.

I have taken it off. so it's back to irons.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    At one point I had looked at a 30-30 over 12 ga....Was that heavy......at the time I was'nt a "survivor or prep-per", just a hunter/gatherer....and though "Holy Molly is this heavy....why would anyone want to haul that around all day".
    Mine is the older 24V, so it is quite a bit lighter than the newer ones. Not bad to pack around all day. By Browning is about the same weight.

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    I think that I may hold out for one of the Camper Specials. That was the first style of 24 that I shot, and what I tend to keep coming back to. I saw the .22 over .410 (at a good price) and thought that I would settle. After handling it though, I know it ain't for me.
    I have one from my list, the 30-30 over 20ga. Now I just need a .357mag over 20ga, and one of the Camper Specials.

Thanks all for your input. I just need to be patient.
    Well congrats, looks like it took ya about 4 years for this to come true.......and when this was started I was looking as well....and did manage to score both the .22 lr and the .22 mag over 20 ga'.

PS..... I had just noticed the date on the OP.....Pretty cool......

This .357 sure shoots nice. Very accurate with the open sites. Just need to brighten the front bead a bit. Hard to pick it up in lower light.
    24vd6_zps9113401d.jpg

I picked a Savage 24, .22/20ga. made in 1981 along with another rifle in a trade for saddle. Handy little gun around the place. Love to shoot pocket gophers with it.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Blog Entries

Cool Another....

My kid brother recently bought one with a 30-30 on top and a 12 gauge on the bottom. Cost? $650! Why do these have to come up so high?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    My kid brother recently bought one with a 30-30 on top and a 12 gauge on the bottom. Cost? $650! Why do these have to come up so high?...
    Wow, guess I better head over to classifieds and put mine up........$650? you bet.

I have one in 30-30/20ga.. I broke the plastic trigger guard so I had a machinist friend make me one out of brass.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by blackfinger; 07-04-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Great guns love them too!! :

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 08-27-2014 at 05:04 AM.
    Support our troops! We all owe a debt we cannot begin to repay, start with support of the PEOPLE in the uniforms.

Just picked up a 22mag over 20ga. Really don't need one, but it was to good to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    Just picked up a 22mag over 20ga. Really don't need one, but it was to good to pass up.
    Congrats....I hear ya on the ...Too good to pass up.

I went many many years looking rejecting finding not willing to pay price finding junk ECT ECT...

Then I bit the bullet on a very clean 22/410 about twelve to fifteen years back on GB. 500$ was a lot but it was the nicest I had ever seen to date and even today. 90% case colors good bluing nice walnut (no figure) and very good shooter both for accuracy and regulation.

I helped a neighbors widow sell off some firearms and I was rewarded with my second. A 24dlx 22m over 20. Another fine condition savage. The Maggie shoots great the 20 g is FEET DIFFERENT AT 50yards I have tried it on clays and it's dismal. I'm usually a pretty good shotgun shot.

Last year I found a 30/30 20g while looking for a 357 20. It's in good condition I refinished it's stocks as PO tried but kinda failed. . Then I trimmed because of the faulty pad angle of recoil pad. It was short so I had to resort to a slightly thicker pad OR shim stock. I chose thick pad. It looks good and feels correct now. I still have not shot it.

I would really like to find a 24C 22/20g and re chamber to Maggie. (My favorite 22) ratty the better as I want it as a truck/ ATV gun and it will see rough use. I don't want to worry about it's finish I'll likely coat it anyhow.

I really like these combo guns!

CW
    Support our troops! We all owe a debt we cannot begin to repay, start with support of the PEOPLE in the uniforms.

Note:
    A local gun shop has two M-24s on the shelf. Both are .22LR/20gauge. Both are in good shape. Both are in the $350-$400 range.
    PM me if you want details.
    If I had not just scored another 24-C "Campers Companion", I would buy one.

-Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."