Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage 24

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AKS View Post
    I'll let you know when I find out if I will be able to come up there this year.
    Sounds good.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Well, I was made an offer that I could not resist so I now have a Model 24 in .22 over .410. It is not in perfect shape, but it works and the "price" was right. I will try and get a couple of pics later.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Default 24C is my favorite

I looked for one of these for years and finally got one on GunBroker in excellent condition with the original take down case. .22LR over 20 gauge 3". It's perfect! mine is slightly different from the pics, it has a straight grip stock. There is a swing out butplate hatch that conceals storage in the buttstock for 7 .22LR rounds and 2 20GA rounds
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found 2 model 24`s at a gun shop today. One is a 24C 22/20ga the othe is a 24S 22mag/20 ga. He wants 250.00 for the 24C it is in good shape other than a small crack in the stock by the receiver. The 24S is in great shape and I can get it for 275.00. Does this sound like a decent deal ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

they run $350.00 to $495.00 here in 75% to 90% condition.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote hunter View Post
    I found 2 model 24`s at a gun shop today. One is a 24C 22/20ga the othe is a 24S 22mag/20 ga. He wants 250.00 for the 24C it is in good shape other than a small crack in the stock by the receiver. The 24S is in great shape and I can get it for 275.00. Does this sound like a decent deal ?
    If I was in central Indiana I would buy them in a heart beat, there going for a lot more here, and as I was at a show today, I didn't see any.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for the info ! I picked up 2 new Savage rifles today that he had ordered for me or I would have bought at least 1 of the 24`s today. I think I will call him tomorrow and have him hold both of them for me until I can get back up there next week.

Thanks for the info ! I picked up 2 new Savage rifles today that he had ordered for me or I would have bought at least 1 of the 24`s today. I think I will call him tomorrow and have him hold both of them for me until I can get back up there next week.
    Buy them both, and I'll take the .22 mag/20ga off your hands and add in a handling fee?

I had one in 22 mag over 20 guage. It was a beautiful gun that had a nice balance and took down with the press of a slide under the for stock, only one problem. Siamese barrels are almost a lost art and it was lost to who ever built mine. The rifle barrel was so far off the sights had to be set so far to the side it looked funny. I never cared for the balance of the newer ones but if I do find another one I'd get it but only after sighting it in.

Quote Originally Posted by AS
    Siamese barrels are almost a lost art and it was lost to who ever built mine.
    Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Buy them both, and I'll take the .22 mag/20ga off your hands and add in a handling fee?
    I might be interested in doing that

I might be interested in doing that
    I PM'ed ya.
    Sounds good.

Great thread. Been looking for one of these guns for a while now. But I have a question I'm sure y'all can answer for me. I see there are two barrel selection locations one on the side and one by the hammer. Which one is the best? thanks.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Dennis,

Actually there are several versions. It all comes down to personal preference.

My favorite is the lever just behind the hammer. All my .22 LR are this version.

I also have a .22 WMR that has a side lever break. While this is not my favorite, I like the fact that I can grab that gun in a cloth case and instantly feel that I have the .22 Mag in my hands.

There is also a bottom button, located just forward of the trigger guard. My son has this version, but I do not care for it.

I could post pics, if you like, but I don't think I have all versions.

Just find one you like. Buy it. And never sell it (except to me)

-Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

Thanks for your help. I was told that the ones that had the selector on the side were prone to problems. I have no expericnec with them that's why I was asking.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Dennis,

While I am no expert, I'd be glad to answer any questions. PM me if you wish.

The M24 is my favorite.

-Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

Finally found my .22/20ga Camper's Companion Model 24 Savage. If you are patient, they will show-up and be the price you can afford.
    Now I just have to sell something else to restock the "mad money".
    I did end up swapping for that .22/.410 earlier, I may just have to turn it loose now.
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Banned
    Blog Entries

There is a "Receiver Sight" available for the Model 24, it mounts on the left side of the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    There is a "Receiver Sight" available for the Model 24, it mounts on the left side of the receiver.
    Any links? I would like a new sight for my 24C.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I don't but they are/were made by "Williams"Sight Co. or "Lyman" Sight Co. I would start with Brownell's Gun Parts. If you strike-out let me know.