Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Savage 24

Thanks for the heads up, Doug.....been a long time since I seen ya around ....Welcome back.

I picked up a campers model .22/20 at a show a year or so, ago.
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-25-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I actually own a savage 24, and its real fun and accurate. I honestly think you should get one unless you use it often.

Back in highschool days I used an m-24 .22lr over .410 that belonged to a friend for squirrel hunting. Iron sights, one shot with the .22 and the .410 barrel as follow-up was the rule. A great firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by dscrick View Post
    I looked for one of these for years and finally got one on GunBroker in excellent condition with the original take down case. .22LR over 20 gauge 3". It's perfect! mine is slightly different from the pics, it has a straight grip stock. There is a swing out butplate hatch that conceals storage in the buttstock for 7 .22LR rounds and 2 20GA rounds
    That is a beautiful set of furniture on that 24C, Senior Chief. Don't know if you're still on the forum, as this post was eight years ago. I've never seen wood like that on any Savage 24, and I own eight of them, including one 24C.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    My kid brother recently bought one with a 30-30 on top and a 12 gauge on the bottom. Cost? $650! Why do these have to come up so high?...
    Sarge47, the fact that your brother bought one with a 12 gauge barrel indicates it's the late 24F model with plastic furniture. The earlier models did not offer a 12 gauge option and most all were equipped with wooden furniture. The older models are lighter, highly sought after, and often higher in price. I have eight of them, in various caliber and gauge combinations, that took me years to collect. Two of those are in the .30-30/20Gauge combination.

Just joined the forum today and am an avid Savage 24 "seeker". Presently seeking a Savage 24V series D .22Hornet/20gauge. These combo guns are just like eating Fretos... you can't just have one. If anyone can point me in the right direction for a nice Savage 24V-D .22 Hornet/20gauge, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have the hornet over 20 ga it's a sweet shooter if I can see it I can hit it.

http://www.savage24.com/

Hey thanks for bringing up a great thread!
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Hey guys i am looking for a savage 24 as well, was thinking about the 22 mag over the 20 gauge. Any direction or help is appreciated. Feel free to pm as well.

I dont know the accuracy of the modern chamber inserts in 30-30/32ACP, but Ragnar Benson said that (when he had one, decades ago) it was adequately accurate, and very quiet. costs a lot less than a M24 to find out, tho.

The 20 ga. is much more forgiving than the .410 and as such I would reccomend the .22lr over the 20 ga.. But that is just my $0.02

Good choice.
    I have been looking for the .22 Mag over a 20 ga for a long time.
    Most new around here are now .17 over 20 or 12 ga.
    Saw one in a gas station that sold sporting goods, but at the time was a little short of "stash" money, so.........

Picked up one of these to go with my M24s. Pairs very well with my Camper's Companion.

876249.jpg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019151856
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I went to the local gun shop earlier today looking at ar15s and was surprised to see they had 2 savage 24s. One was .22lr over 20g., it was a little rough with about 5 inches of the bluing worn off the lower barrel and a lot of pitting on the receiver. Probably been behind the seat of a truck. But the bores looked like mirrors. $320
    The second was .22lr over 410 and looked like new. $450
    I thought really hard about the 20g. but I just don't have any more safe space.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    I went to the local gun shop earlier today looking at ar15s and was surprised to see they had 2 savage 24s. One was .22lr over 20g., it was a little rough with about 5 inches of the bluing worn off the lower barrel and a lot of pitting on the receiver. Probably been behind the seat of a truck. But the bores looked like mirrors. $320
    The second was .22lr over 410 and looked like new. $450
    I thought really hard about the 20g. but I just don't have any more safe space.
    Pick a room, put a deadbolt lock on the door and 2x4 backed plywood on the windows.

Welcome to the "walk in" gun safe!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I am already considering extra floor supports. I had to move the emergency food stuffs and supplies to another room.
    Last edited by chiggersngrits; 01-31-2020 at 08:39 PM.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

My wife's cousin did just that. He had a whole room filled. Floor racks and wall racks. Bolts on door. It was a privilege to be admitted to "the room".

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    I am already considering extra floor supports. I had to move the emergency food stuffs and supplies to another room.
    I put extra piers under the gun room a decade back.

I still have my food preps in shelves two feet deep along one wall, double racks on one wall and the real "gun safes" on the interior wall, bolted to floor joist and wall studs. Double sided floor rack in the middle. The last wall has to share space with Washer/Dryer and hot water heater and ammo supply/reloading gear. It's sort of tight in there.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I read the Kentucky Geological Survey announced the state has sunk four inches in the last three years. No reason given.

Kentucky is a limestone sponge.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.