Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage 24

Default Savage 24

I am looking at another Savage 24. This time in .22LR over .410. (I already have a 24V in .30-30 over 20ga). Good chambering, or would a .22 over 20ga be better? This would mainly be an occasional walk the fields gun. Maybe keep it on the tractor when we are bailing in the summer. This one has the switch on the frame. I know I can convert it to on the hammer (like on my 24V) if I need to. Any advantage to restoring it to the frame location, if it stops working?
    I know .410 is more expensive than 20ga. For as much as this will get shot, I don't see that as an issue.
    Thanks for any information/opinions. I have not fully talked myself into (or out) of this. Biggest thing is the chambering. Not really sure about the .410 vs the 20ga.
    Thanks in advance
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Good choice.
    I have been looking for the .22 Mag over a 20 ga for a long time.
    Most new around here are now .17 over 20 or 12 ga.
    Saw one in a gas station that sold sporting goods, but at the time was a little short of "stash" money, so.........

I always considered the combo as a perfect survival/foraging tool.
    May only reason for 20 vs .410 would be available ammo types, bird shot, slugs, buck shot, steel shot.
    The .410 in the right hands is still a lethal shot gun, just not a lot of shot, so you gotta be a good shot.
    .22lr is also a good choice, and if I could find a nice one in .22lr and 20 ga I would have to bring it home.
    Been watching Gun Brokers for a while and have seen a lot come and go, mostly everyone that has one is pretty proud of them.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Maybe approach it this way. What are you using each barrel for? Will the .410 do things for you that the rifle barrel won't? Or will the .20 guage? I think they're both excellent combos and there's been plenty of praise here over the years for the .22lr as an excellent all round caliber so I don't need to re-iterate that. Either way, you've made a great choice IMHO.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I am a big fan of the Savage M-24. I have several, but none in .410. I am a grouse hunter mostly, and .410 is not a good wing shooter.
    If you tailor your gun to your needs, you should be fine.
    I carry my Savage M-24C (Campers Special) on grouse hunting / backpacking trips. Once you get your hands on a 24-C you will never let go. They are small and sweet.
    At night I load Buckshot. Another reason I prefer the 20 gauge.
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

Blog Entries

aflineman: I think you would be better served with the 20 guage. It will do ever thing that a .410 will do plus everything it can't.

hunter63: If you can't find one in .22 magnum, any good gunsmith can re chamber a .22lr to .22 magnum on certain guns. I've had it done on a .22lr revolver and a mod-24.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

That would be an option. I guess I hadn't really thought of it, thanks.

Actually i wouldn't mind finding a .22lr over a 20........Just haven't been in the right place at the right time, with the right money.
    Always keep your eyes open, never know.

I like the .410 and I dont think that I have lost many birds because I was carrying it rather than a 20 guage. The Savage 24 is a great gun and the 22lr over .410 would be a super small game getter IMO!

Blog Entries

Cool Sad story!

A few years back I had my hands on a Model 24 in .22lr/20 ga. but got hard up for green & sold it. Dang! I miss that gun! Now they're all pretty high-priced!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The 20 ga. is much more forgiving than the .410 and as such I would reccomend the .22lr over the 20 ga.. But that is just my $0.02
    I know what hunts you.

wonder why they stoped making the M 24?

i just plain like the 20, but I think a .22/.410 would be a good gun to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mertell View Post
    I carry my Savage M-24C (Campers Special) on grouse hunting / backpacking trips. Once you get your hands on a 24-C you will never let go. They are small and sweet.
    At night I load Buckshot. Another reason I prefer the 20 gauge.
    I think that I may hold out for one of the Camper Specials. That was the first style of 24 that I shot, and what I tend to keep coming back to. I saw the .22 over .410 (at a good price) and thought that I would settle. After handling it though, I know it ain't for me.
    I have one from my list, the 30-30 over 20ga. Now I just need a .357mag over 20ga, and one of the Camper Specials.

Thanks all for your input. I just need to be patient.
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Lineman:

If you hold out for a Camper, NEVER EVER pass one up.

I have only seen two in my lifetime. (Bought one)

They just never seem to be sold for mere cash.

-Mert

Here is a photo comparison of the Savage M24 and M24C.

Top gun is Savage M-24D (deluxe) Series P
    .22 LR / 20 gauge 3" Modified choke
    24 " barrels, 40.5" Overall.
    Nice Walnut stocks. Note Williams 4-D peep sight. (Non-factory)

Bottom gun is Savage M-24C Series P (Campers Special)
    .22 LR / 20 gauge Improved choke
    20 " barrels, 35.5" Overall
    Typical birch stocks. Ammo storage in buttstock (1 shot shell + 10 .22 LR)
    Note folding rear open sight. (Non-factory)
    NOTE: 24C has no pistol grip

*** The 24C (Camper) is roughly the size of a Youth model shotgun, except that the length of is about an inch longer.

My favorite shotgun is a Youth model, so I do not find the shortness to be troublesome. Quite the opposite: I love it.

-Mert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

aflineman I would definitely go for the 20 gauge. The shells are more available, cheaper and more forgiving (bigger shell, more pellets). I found a 20 gauge over .22lr last year at Auction Arms.com. I keep looking for a .22 mag over 20 gauge, but the I bid on have gone for more than I was willing to spend. I will eventually find the .22 mag and a 30-30 over 20 gauge. I would even take it over a 12 gauge, but I don't know if Savage even produced them in 12 gauge.

Our local Gander Mountain has 2 Model 24's on the shelf right now.
    One .17 over 20 ga
    the other .17 over 12 ga.
    So they do make 12 ga's.
    Thought hard on these, but don't gopher hunt much so I'll pass on the .17.

I got the 24v in .223 over 20. It is more gun than I have needed for the rabbits I've used it on but I can legally hunt bigger game with both barrels and intend to this fall. I personally wouldn't get it in 410 cause I think the 20 does it all so much better. The 223 part was so I could catch deer or what ever a little further away.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AKS View Post
    I got the 24v in .223 over 20. It is more gun than I have needed for the rabbits I've used it on but I can legally hunt bigger game with both barrels and intend to this fall. I personally wouldn't get it in 410 cause I think the 20 does it all so much better. The 223 part was so I could catch deer or what ever a little further away.
    You use your m-24 and I'll use my Ruger .22 hornet and we'll go find us a moose to kill.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

This has been my walk around as of late. 30-30 over 20ga.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Picked up two late season ruff grouse today. I like it quite a bit. I can't say it will take the place of my NEF 12ga Survivor during the early season, but I might.
    I have been keeping an eye out for on of the Camper models. I will just have to see what comes my way when I have the cash. The only reason I got the 30-30 over 20ga is I had kept the cash for one stashed for about 6 or 7 years, just waiting. I can be patient when I need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    You use your m-24 and I'll use my Ruger .22 hornet and we'll go find us a moose to kill.
    I'll let you know when I find out if I will be able to come up there this year.
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)