Thread: Anyone tried the new Ruger 57 yet?

Default Anyone tried the new Ruger 57 yet?

I keep finding myself looking at the 5.7X28 round and wanting to try it out. But I cannot bring myself to spend the money on a FN Five-seveN. Then Ruger comes out with the Model 57. I still have resisted the urge. Have any of y'all gone off the deep end yet? Max? Crash?? Rick??? Alan???? KyRats????? Jim?????? Randyt???????
    I have read several articles about the cartridge and I have read several reviews of the Ruger pistol but I wanted to know if any of you guys (people I trust, for some strange reason, even though I have never met any of y'all face to face to the best of my knowledge.) Since the Ruger pistol has come out and I have been mulling this over I have purchased two new to me handguns, one Kimber Pro Carry II, sweet, sweet little 1911 I promise and then I found a Sig P238 that MDW loves and it is very easy for her to rack the slide and reach the mag release.
    My wife teases me about how many 1911s a person should have from time to time but she loves shooting a Colt Series 70 in 9mm more than any other pistol we have. Anyway back to the reason for my post, What are your thoughts, ideas, and experience, if any with the 5.7X28 and/or the Ruger Model 57?

Well, now you've gone and done it.... No, I haven't tried one or even thought about one till now.... the 57 looks kinda "New Age". I don't usually try new things until they are about 50 years old. But, I also said, at one time, that I'd never own a Glock. Now I won't ever NOT own one...

20 rounds should take care of anything that comes up.

The only drawback I see is that it may have issues with reloads (bottleneck cartridge) and it costs as much as three Glock 17s. 9mm ammo will be around for a long time. I don't know about 5.7x28.

Alan

See I have told myself those exact same things... I HATE reloading bottlenecks like the 25-20 and the 32-20 and my Sig 357. It sucks and I ruin about half the brass. But the idea of have 21 rounds, hot rounds, without a reload. I realize the Ruger is not a Concealed Carry pistol but if I am hiking the lightweight polymer frame and the large payload sure is enticing.....

Years ago I promised myself that I would not purchase any weapons in new (to me) calibers. Then a few years later a I changed it to a suggestion. Now.........sometimes I can't remember why I walked into the next room, so who knows.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have not. Lately my focus has been on builds and milling out..
    Stuff.
    I have a Kimber Micro 9 that is my favorite concealed carry when FL seasons allow. There's a Springfield Range Officer by my bed so yeah I like 1911's too.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have a system that has served me well over the years.

As soon as I find enough empty brass at the range that if I had bought that amount of ammo loaded and it equals the price of the dies, I will buy a set of reloading dies for the caliber.

When the pile of loaded ammo equals the value of a pistol in that caliber I will purchase one.

So far I have not found a single piece of 5.7 brass at the range.

It is truly a single purpose cartridge made for piercing body armor. No other accomplishment that the 9mms, 40s, or 45s that I already own can not fill. I am still getting used to the idea of carrying a 9mm instead of .45.

The round count does not mean a lot to me when my carry gun is a 5 shot .38 90% of the time. I'm like Crash, I can't remember that high. Now did I fire 5 shots or only four? Are you feeling lucky?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I really appreciate you lads talking me down on this one. I do. I knew I could depend on y'all. I was out at the Whittington Center last September and picked up about 36 pieces of 5.7 brass off the "sight in range." I ran across that brass last week while I was de-priming my range pick ups. That is what caused my almost "moment of weakness" I think I really would not like trying to reload 5.7 X 28. It is so tedious loading small slugs. I love 44s and 45s for reloading. Straight cases, big bullets, easy peazy!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I have a system that has served me well over the years.

As soon as I find enough empty brass at the range that if I had bought that amount of ammo loaded and it equals the price of the dies, I will buy a set of reloading dies for the caliber.

When the pile of loaded ammo equals the value of a pistol in that caliber I will purchase one.

So far I have not found a single piece of 5.7 brass at the range.

It is truly a single purpose cartridge made for piercing body armor. No other accomplishment that the 9mms, 40s, or 45s that I already own can not fill. I am still getting used to the idea of carrying a 9mm instead of .45.

The round count does not mean a lot to me when my carry gun is a 5 shot .38 90% of the time. I'm like Crash, I can't remember that high. Now did I fire 5 shots or only four? Are you feeling lucky?
    I like this system! I'm going to go count my brass and loaded ammo on hand and start buying guns!

Alan