Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer Knife (pic heavy)

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Poco, I did get a new camera. Well, it's new to me anyway, and it's in as good a shape as a new one.

Crash sent me his old camera. Said he was getting a new one and wasn't using it anymore and he thought I would make good use of it.
    We can all thank Crash for getting me back in the picture. (a round of applause!)

Gryff. I simply aged the bone.
    Clean it as well as you can when fresh. don't make any holes in the bone so that the marrow and oil stay inside. place it in a dry space.. I have a wood cabinet in my "chop shop" and as the moisture leaves the bone, the oil fills the spaces. It's not hardened in any way, actually it's got a little flex to it. I have heard of firing bone to make it harder but only from talking to other folks who really didn't know anything about it other than they heard someone else say it.. I would think that different tempers would make different qualities in the bone. If you burn it down to ash it has a completely different composition, so I'd imagine that there are lots of ways to make it more durable by controlled firing.. interesting that you say it, now you got me wanting to find out more

TheMeek, Now that I have a camera, I'd be glad to do a how to on it.. basically just involves a lot of boring grinding on rocks, but still enjoyable work.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Pretty neat. i wanna make some spearheads or gigs w' bone.

I like the idea of using more of the animal and it kinda saddens me to just be pitching this stuff in the trash.

Thanks Crash
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

That was a very nice gesture, Crash. Cudos!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, Poco. How can I resist? No, he didn't get a new camera. Those are all hand drawn.

(I know, I know. And you're right).
    NO, S**T!, nice drawing, so realistic and such.

Very nice, man you just never stop..........
    Good job.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thanks for the compliments guys. I was working on some more bone stuff when the phone started ringing off the hook... 6 inches of rain in 12 hours and guess who's got a leak.. EVERYBODY lol... so I'll get back on it later with pics of course!
    Thanks for the thumbs up gang!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Oh yeah - roofers and tree companies are going to be real busy around here. 6"-10" of rain and about half a dozen tornadoes have touched down.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

One thing you can be pretty certain of in Indiana. You don't get many marine warnings.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you do, we may have bigger problems to be worried about.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel