Thread: Hunger Games VS Survivor Island

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Hunger Games VS Survivor Island

Is the concept of the Hunger Games what Survivor Island should have been? Perhaps without the killing part.

Put them all on an island and the one that loses the least amount of weight wins! No challenges, no imunity, no social skills/manipulation involved.

Roll call each morning. "Bring out your dead!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have no clue, but from the commercials and what people are saying on Facebook it seems like a combo of Lord of the Flies and Surviving the Game
    Go Dawgs

My idea for a survivor show was basically let them do anything aside from attacking each other. Set a group down with a prize to win, the last person standing wins. Steal each others food, ruin each others camps, just you can't actually fight or hurt each other. If you can't take it anymore you say so and your done.

That's a great idea
    Go Dawgs

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    My idea for a survivor show was basically let them do anything aside from attacking each other. Set a group down with a prize to win, the last person standing wins. Steal each others food, ruin each others camps, just you can't actually fight or hurt each other. If you can't take it anymore you say so and your done.
    Give them paint ball guns, if somebody gets shot they are "dead" and out of the game....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Give them a corporate job and the one with the most money at the end of their career wins. Oh, wait. That's been done. Never mind.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

give them all separate corporate executive jobs and the ones who still have money and who's employees still have pensions and who's shareholders still have two dimes to rub together win i'm not sure if that one's been tried recently.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

You really are demanding aren't you? If you're going to complicate it with that many rules no one will want to play.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The problem with The hunger games is there is no way that this could even become a reality.
    Even Scifi needs a little reality.

yeah; not at all like the matrix, or superman or...

a little suspension of disbelief goes a long way.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

May I suggest something? Reading the book(s) before seeing the movie may be quite, ah, instructive.

And I disagree -- it COULD happen pretty much the way it did in the books. [In fact, a variation of this HAS happened, in American history, in the last 150 years or so...]

The Hunger Games is a fantacy, but only for people that are seperated form danger on a daily basis. That was the point of the movie. Blood sport for a society that had lost touch with reality.

It is daily life in many parts of the world, only without the fanfare and hidden cameras.

Never forget that we still recruit soldiers at age 17 in our country. 8 weeks after induction they have the same skill set, capabilities and instincts as the kids in that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The Hunger Games is a fantacy, but only for people that are seperated form danger on a daily basis. That was the point of the movie. Blood sport for a society that had lost touch with reality.

It is daily life in many parts of the world, only without the fanfare and hidden cameras.

Never forget that we still recruit soldiers at age 17 in our country. 8 weeks after induction they have the same skill set, capabilities and instincts as the kids in that movie.
    Right on and it ain't no movie........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nothing like a recent documentary to put real survival in perspective. Heart braking and inspiring. Wonder how many adults let alone kids could do that here.
    http://www.godgrewtiredofus.com/about.html

The trailer:
    http://www.godgrewtiredofus.com/trailer.html

As far as I am concerned, if they let all of the people kill each other on Survivor Island, the show may be worth watching at that point!

Ms B, the boy soldiers in Africa are not alone in world history. Their plight is in focus due to our 21st century sensibilities and the abusive they endure.

In the British and American tradition of past times young men have been subject to conscription into service down to age 15. Drummers, powder monkeys and cabin boys on ship down to age 12 with the occasional 10 year old. If memory serves me the youngest U.S. soldier in WW2 lied about his age and entered at age 12.

I had a young man in my unit once that claimed to be and on paperwork was 17, but I would swear he was not a day over 15. I figured he had used a brother's birth cirtificate to enlist. He was an abuse escapee and was better off in the Army.

I broke down and went to see this movie last night. First movie I have been to in almost 10 years. It will not be on my list of favorites, but it was not the worst movie I have wasted my time watching.

Yes, part was unacceptable fantacy, but much was character development of merit. I was touched by many of the scenes, feeling I know those hollow eyed hopeless mountain people. They still live in towns named Harlan, Burning Springs, Goose Rock, Hazard and Defeated Creek. I grew up among them and taught their children.

There was not a tribute among the chosen that I have not had in one of my classes at one time or another. That is right down to the heroine, who was the spitting image of one of the platoon leaders in the military school I taught in last fall. Same attitude too.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Look up Calvin Graham. He was 12 when he enlisted in the Navy. John Condon, a British soldier, was KIA in WWI at the age of 13. Here is a very famous photo of Hitler congratulating Alfred Czech who was 12 at the time. He had just received the Iron Cross for gallantry in action!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I've seen reports of Germany having 10 year olds in action as did some of the Russian, Hungarian and Austrian units. Very common stuff.

Oh, snap! I forgot to mention Frank Sauliere. He is the youngest American soldier to serve in WWI. He was also 12 at the time. He lied to join the Army. He told them he was 16!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I was touched by many of the scenes, feeling I know those hollow eyed hopeless mountain people. They still live in towns named Harlan, Burning Springs, Goose Rock, Hazard and Defeated Creek. I grew up among them and taught their children.

There was not a tribute among the chosen that I have not had in one of my classes at one time or another.
    Abso-danged-lutely! (Could add several more town-names, but it would only detract.)

Well-said, and an enthusiastic +1!!!!

-- Nighteyes