Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gout -remedies?

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Sounds like eating healthy can only help.
    All the stuff that can trigger the problem isn't good for you you anyway. And it's never fun finding that out the hard way. Thing is, you get used to not eating certain stuff because the alternative is so much more painful.
    Yes and no. Oatmeal causes it in me, as does spinach and many other veggies. Most fish does also. I started eating healthier, and my gout started up.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by carbean View Post
    There is a medicine called allopurinol that can reduce the frequency and severity of acute attacks but you have to take it every day.
    Thats the one............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Water is one of the best home remedies for gout. Of all the home remedies for gout, water is amongst the most popular.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 04-09-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Removed Spam Link

A reliable source for that would be nice. Since the build up of uric acid can be caused by the kidney's inability to filter out uric acid I'm hard pressed to understand how increasing water intake would reduce the level.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Water is one of the best home remedies for gout. Of all the home remedies for gout, water is amongst the most popular.
    It's alway good to refer to your sources, if just to say (My Gramma says....) or to give credit where it belongs.

I haven't really heard about this either??????, only that several medications tend to be diuretic, increasing urination, I would guess to "flush out the evilness"?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diuretic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout

I can say that from personnel experiance that drinking a LOT of water hasn't really done any noticiable good,.... though it's hard to tell, as I drink a lot of water anyway, rather than soda........Of course I do drink coffee, (not so good)...beer, (not so good, or so says the "Book"...and Dr wife)...as well, so it's hard to say....And haven't really noticed any difference for avoiding coffee, and beer.

I will say that cherries do seem to help.....for sure, for me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A reliable source for that would be nice. Since the build up of uric acid can be caused by the kidney's inability to filter out uric acid I'm hard pressed to understand how increasing water intake would reduce the level.
    Based on the IP address I suspect that spam will follow at some point - probably an edit that it hopes will go unnoticed. I suppose I should just ban it now and get it over with.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, yeah. Gotcha.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What a surprise. Ole Shane came back and spammed the site. Bye bye Shane. Dadburn spam monkeys.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel