Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Guns?

Default Need Guns?

I think this story should answer some of the liberals questions, about why we feel like we need to be armed. Haiti can truly teach us a lot.

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – "If you don't kill the criminals, they will all come back," a Haitian police officer shouts over a loudspeaker in the country's most notorious slum, imploring citizens to take justice into their own hands.

The call for vigilantes comes as influential gang leaders who escaped from a heavily damaged prison during the country's killer earthquake are taking advantage of a void left by police and peacekeepers focused on disaster relief.
    ...much of the neighborhood's security will be in the hands of local populations, who are forming night brigades and machete-armed mobs to fight bandits across the capital.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...haiti_the_void
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 01-19-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

There was alot of the same kind of stuff that happened during Katrina. The problem with alot of Americians is they think it will never happen to them.

GUNS????? We don't need no stinkin' guns! The POHLEESE will protect me.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

why did we ever relinquish the power and right to defend ourselves to them in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    why did we ever relinquish the power and right to defend ourselves to them in the first place?
    Did you? I didn't.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Did you? I didn't.
    Agree, I"m kinda in the "Pry my cold dead fingers off, wading thru large pile of spent brass" crowd.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Did you? I didn't.
    I think if I can't set traps on my property to catch thieves and trespassers ,then yes, my rights were relinquished long before I was born.

Here in Michigan you have the right to defend yourself, but you better be willing to spend a lot of money on attorney fees and such to defend that right.

Unless you have a very good understanding of self defense laws in Michigan, absolutely no criminal record, and get your story straight from the get go you stand a good chance of going to prison or being sued for exercising your right to defend.

I know what I would do in a situation, but I also know the possible consequences. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 I suppose.

Your right RWC you would be guilty of murder till you paid out the a$$ to prove yourself innocent! Isn't that a crock o' s**t!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by RWC
    I think if I can't set traps on my property to catch thieves and trespassers ,then yes, my rights were relinquished long before I was born.
    Ooh. Sorry, I can't agree with that. The law is there to prevent innocent folks from being maimed or killed. What on earth would you do if a child tripped a booby trap? Far more likely to catch an innocent than a villain. Just my opinion.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Ooh. Sorry, I can't agree with that. The law is there to prevent innocent folks from being maimed or killed. What on earth would you do if a child tripped a booby trap? Far more likely to catch an innocent than a villain. Just my opinion.
    I agree with Rick. The use of traps to protect property with the intent to hurt humans is absolutely wrong in "peacetime" conditions. First responders (ambulance etc), police and other innocents would be placed in danger. And I do not think that "right" ever existed anyways
    Last edited by Pal334; 01-20-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: removed the word "booby"
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I can only recall cases where the burglar sued the property owners. I don't recall any criminal charges accept one case where they charged a guy for detonating an improvised device. He used airbags with shrapnel.

I personally wouldn't use one under normal circumstances.

Here in Michigan you have the right to defend yourself, but you better be willing to spend a lot of money on attorney fees and such to defend that right.

Unless you have a very good understanding of self defense laws in Michigan, absolutely no criminal record, and get your story straight from the get go you stand a good chance of going to prison or being sued for exercising your right to defend.

I know what I would do in a situation, but I also know the possible consequences. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 I suppose.
    Traps are a no-no.

But... who is to say you cannot plant say, poison ivy, around the vulnerable area. Such as under a window, along a fence, or whatnot. Assuming you do not have kids yourself who might find there way in there. It isn't your fault poison ivy is growing there, that is just nature.

Whatever happened to fences and lockable gates?
    I suppose it's not as macho as some other alternatives mentioned.

Yeah, I don't hand out speeding tickets, I don't see a heck of a lot of reason why those folks need to get involved in my business.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

all nice and good;
    however, we are not in Haiti; certain classes of society are not in the majority yet.
    good fences make good neighbors!

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    all nice and good;
    however, we are not in Haiti;(and we haven't had a bad earthquake, so should we not prepare for one?) certain classes of society are not in the majority yet.(No, but they do exist. Should we act like they don't?)
    good fences make good neighbors!

Sounds like "That can't happen to me."
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I defended myself all my life and I am too old to change. I use anything available, will continue to depend on myself and I'm not above using any tactic that I've been taught. OK, I'm done.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I defended myself all my life and I am too old to change. I use anything available, will continue to depend on myself and I'm not above using any tactic that I've been taught. OK, I'm done.
    I agree wholeheartedly. In an extreme, all bets are off, do what ya gotta do. But for "normal" situations there are limits
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

One can NEVER be too prepared. What would be the downside?

What I sometimes struggle with (personally) is the balance of preparing for the worst while living and enjoying the present.
    That balance isn't material if you have unlimited time and resources, or if you're clearly wired one way or another. (I envy those).

Either way it's a gamble requiring constant recalibration of priorities. Hardest work I've ever done because it's really never ever done--just work in progress.
    Blissful ignorance or is it innocence? was so much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Traps are a no-no.

But... who is to say you cannot plant say, poison ivy, around the vulnerable area. Such as under a window, along a fence, or whatnot. Assuming you do not have kids yourself who might find there way in there. It isn't your fault poison ivy is growing there, that is just nature.
    But most people don’t know what poison ivy looks like so that wouldn’t be any kind of deterrent. I guess if someone breaks into your house at least he will get a rash in a few days, so I guess there is a small victory in that. Maybe some serous thorn bushes might be a little better?

Although now that I think about it poison ivy might not be a bad idea, it would be easier for the cops to track down the crook, just contact all the local hospitals and doctors offices to see who came in for poison ivy treatment, hmmm not bad.
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.