Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm pulling the plug

Blog Entries

It is the stages of hunting. Some come full circle faster than others. Some never even complete the circle, it's really of no concern. It is just where you are in life.

The best part of trout fishing is smoking that cigar after the catch and maybe if it's early enough in the day, cooking it over an open fire in the woods somewhere.

I've hunted since I was 8 years old. I have looked forward to it almost all my life, I'm 47 now. I've killed more deer than some, alot less than others, same goes with rabbits, pheasants, ducks, and hogs. I've made up more reasons not to take the shot than I can remember.

This does not mean that I won't grab my bow and take to the woods. If I get a shot and everything is right, than I will follow through. But if the shot does not present itself, I am more than happy to just watch.

I watched my grandfather take this route. He told me when I was a boy that it would happen to me oneday. I just poopoo'd it, but look where I am today.

I still have the dream of hunting elk with one of my selfbows or my 54 Hawken and will still slowly get my gear and prepare for the primitive hunt. It will happen oneday.

Everyone has to cut their own path through the wilderness, to follow the path of another is to cheat yourself. I'm on a new side trail, I may venture back to my main path once in awhile, but I can not stay on it, as it has lost what I consider it's challenge.

Yep, me too guys, I've gone less and less over the years, did even bother getting deer permits the last two years. Paid 75 bucks for a fishing permit at a local strip pit and only went twice this year and the place is only half mile from my house.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

What kind of extreme fishing were you doing?
    I didn't know it was possible to be too tired to fish...

JK

If you don't enjoy it anymore then I guess it's time to do something else....
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup View Post
    I didn't know it was possible to be too tired to fish...JK

Commercial fish a 36 hour opener.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I still carry a firearm most everyday on wilderness hikes, I just am not hunting, everything is the same, but I am watching the animals, mostly I am exploring, looking for mining or native artifact signs from 100 years ago.

I gave it up do to the rules and regs.. and thinking of picking it backup again.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

cowgirl, who said anything about being too tired?
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    LOL. There is only one place taker. Hopefully it'll be awhile.
    God-A-Mighty, hope you're not talking about buying a farm!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    God-A-Mighty, hope you're not talking about buying a farm!
    No! For the right price I'll sell one.

I'll stick around for the oh-hums, what-evers and how's that working.

Say it ain't so!

I went out today and got 5 squirrels, my limit, 3 fox, 1 black and a red. I had three more get away, two greys and a black. Got home, cleaned em up, froze em and fried up the hearts and kidneys. MM good.

I don't hunt like I used to but I don't think there will ever come a day I quit for good. ah, probably will but until then....

I salted the tails and 1 skin and am gonna try to make something out of em. Cordage for a bow drill maybe. The rest of the skins, heads and feet went in the trash and the livers, guts and tail meat went to the neighborhood cats and crows.

Blog Entries

I actively hunt Black bear and deer every year. I explore every chance I get which is pretty often. I love it when its getting close to evening and I come on a spruce hen, grouse or snow shoe. I also have a small salmon stream that I camp near on occasion and let me tell you, fresh caught salmon over an open fire of alder is some good eat'n.

I am 47 in April and I don't see myself slowing down any time soon. Besides I have a lifetime hunting and fishing license.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I understand what your saying.
    I have lost the love of the hunt, and I've lost the lust for the kill....but I still hunt and harvest. Its food for my family. I look at the kill as an unpleasant part of life (kinda like changing a diaper) but still a nesessity... I do love watching animals, and learning about them.
    Also, i look forward to sharing the ritual with my son when he is a little older. I think harvesting your own meat is a good way to understand the natural order of things and the web of life...Life is essentially cold, brutal and short- killing helps me remember that, and keeps me celebrating life until the inevitable happens to me. Killing is living

Blog Entries

I will never quit hunting, and to me its more the chase (stalking on the ground) then the thrill of the kill, of course I only hunt what I will eat and use most of the animal, but it does become work sometimes.
    Trapping has became nothing but work so I stopped, didnt trap at all in 2009.

Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I don't hunt much either, not many people do and it's too darn easy now. I have hunted 60yrs and I have never seen as much game(except quail) in this part of the country and deer are plentiful. I get my license free and don't have the urge to shoot anything in the yard. I roam the woods, mostly get way out on an ATV then walk and enjoy it. I always carry a firearm so that's not an issue. My beagle will flop on the deck and just watch deer go walking by along with turkey, way too many to chase or bark at. Now that we have rattlesnakes in this area I hunted for them last year and will again, just for the skin. I don't enjoy the meat like I did and I have nothing to prove. I might take a few pics or hunt small game with a handgun if I want a bunny fried. Too much game just takes the fun out of it, and "garden fed" deer don't taste the same.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I've always hunted for the food, probably always will. Fried deer slices and 2 eggs sunny side up for breakfast this morning, that was mighty fine deer.

There's a fella out this way who's got a few years on me, well about 18 years on me.He's hunted all his life. We were going to go out together this past fall and he was having some troubles with his feet, he's diabetic, so he didn't come with me. He just had a couple of toes amputated last week and some other chunks off one of his feet someplace, doesn't look like he'll get to go tramping around out in the bush much in the future. I don't even like to consider that. I mean I do plenty of tramping around out there that doesn't include hunting, but to him hunting was everything. Fed his family from his brothers and sisters when he was a kid, to his own kids and grandkids and now he probably won't be able to go. I don't think he ever hung onto a trophy in his life, either.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

I used to hunt small game for food, but don't hunt at all right now; mainly because of where I live. If I had the opportunity to hunt Rabbits & Squirrels for food you can bet your sweet hind parts I would! I'm not a big fish eater, but I am partial to Blue Gill & other pan-fish! Given where I live you'd think I'd be a big Cat-Fish eater...but I'm not! Don't really care for them or Carp! (Carp is mis-spelled, BTW; it should be "CRAP!")
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I guess we all slow down as we get older.
    The desire to hunt is still there, but isn't as strong as it once was.
    Getting harder and harder to get up early, freeze my butte off.

Haven't stopped yet, probably won't, just slowing down.

Note: got any gear for sale?
    Have gotten some real good deals on gear from guys that decided to "hang it up", only to get the itch later, and have start all over again.
    So I would sell them back their stuff.....(just kidding, trying to tell you, don't do anything rash.)
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-18-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess we all slow down as we get older.
    The desire to hunt is still there, but isn't as strong as it once was.
    Getting harder and harder to get up early, freeze my butte off.

Haven't stopped yet, probably won't, just slowing down.

Note: got any gear for sale?
    Have gotten some real good deals on gear from guys that decided to "hang it up", only to get the itch later, and have start all over again.
    So I would sell them back their stuff.....(just kidding, trying to tell you, don't do anything rash.)
    Your words are wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    cowgirl, who said anything about being too tired?
    He said it took too much energy.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47