Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emergency Home Lighting - BEST-BUY

I thought about that but wouldn't the fat congeal into a solid? I would think you'd want the "oil" to remain liquid so it can wick up the wick.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would think it is not much different than parafin lamps. If you prime them wet. They should melt what they need like a candle.

I picked up a couple of these, because every time I went camping the kids would be playing with the flashlights and leave them on and drain the batteries! Now just crank for a min or 2 and you are good to go.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

Nice find, thanks
    Crank lights work pretty well, found a sale at Menards (big box home center around here.)
    Crank 120 times and they are still working when I try them.
    They had a 3 led windup, no batteries light on sale for like $4 bucks, came with a single squeeze key chain light.
    Bought all they had left, like 14 of them.
    Put one everywhere, and gave a bunch away.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Default rubber sleeve for lights

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Note on Mag lights, if your don't use them every day, turn the batteries around, so there is no power going thru them.

About the only way you can hurt them is to have the batteries corrode, it will really screw the insides, being alumium and all.

The other weak spot in the little plug that the bulb plugs into. The little copper contact get lost, broken, corroded etc.

I had a couple of Mini Mags this happened to, so went on the web site, found the order form, and was going to order the "fix-it kit", the were like $3.
    So I ended up with about $9 buck worth of of parts (includes the little plastic tool to change out the plug).
    When I was going to place the order, found out there was a $20 buck min order charge or a $20 shipping/handling charge.

Soooo, as there was a 1-800 number, I called and basically made a PITA out of myself. Words to the effect, "If I have to spend $20 bucks for a $3 dollar part, why don't I just buy a new one for $8 bucks, or even better, but someone elses flashlight?"
    The nice lady, says, "Whats your address, and how many do you want?" so got three sets of parts for nothing.

I do have the head band holder, and use it, but it's too bad they don't have a rubber sleave to put around the case for holding in your teeth (yeah, I do that a lot also.)

Now that we are talking about this, I better go check as many as I can find to see how the batteries are, lets see, where in the heck did I stash them all............
    You might try tool dip, or the heat shrinking plastic used for electrical work ( you slip it over the connection and heat it to wrap the wire) I use the stuff on my mag lights for grip and to protet my hand in cold weather. Also I use it for my pocket magnesium bar to protect it for wear in my pockets.
    I hope this helps.
    -Sam

Sam , thanks never thought of that........too bad i don't have my service truck parked in the drive way, I think I had some those shrink-on's, on that truck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27