Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Value of Mushrooms

Default as a matter of fact, not being political at all

i quit singing O Canada after they changed the words to accomodate the guy that sang it Montreal's hockey games.

And partner, if anyone's carting Beo off while I'm standing there...they best figure on having a little tussle on their hands.

I try to be about as A-political as a person can be ( I don't believe any of them) but I do believe that people shouldn't fear their governments, governments should fear the people.

As far as my southern neighbors..well back in the '70's I used to wear a t-shirt that said "Willie Nelson for President" Everyone that read it thought it was funny, I thought it was a good idea, LOL.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Default I sure hope

i didnt break the "no politics" rule, that's all I've got to say about that and I don't want to discuss politics.

Beo...you gave back Montana twice bro...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    Owl girl have you even ever ben in a McDonalds they have salads milk and other healthy meals as well and yes even the worthles mushroom is there. I was lost in the wildernes the other and looked down and there was some mushrooms and then I looked up and there was a McDonald which one was chosen? Apples are loaded with sugar wich is quickly converted to energy. So now we are comparing apples to mushrooms a resonable person giving the choice that they needed the energy in order to not perish would choose the apple if we are in to kitchen choose what we want but when in a down and dirty survival you beter make the right choice mickey Ds doesn't stay open late in the woods. It would not suprise me that the nutrition info you refer to is published by the mushroom growers who just want your money. there are probably more minerals in dirt, ditamasious earth is some healthy stuf but it taste like dirt.
    Yes I’ve been to McDonalds and it sucks. Their salads are made with iceberg lettuce (which is like one of the lowest quality lettuce) and isn’t nearly as nutritious as romaine lettuce but iceberg is cheaper so that’s what they use.

There is more there one debate going on between you and me hop, and you keep entangling them. One debate is our disagreement on the definition of nutrition. My point with the apples and McDonalds was not to debate rather or not they were a better food source then mushrooms. It was explaining why I came to the conclusion that people are often speaking of vitamins and minerals when they say something is nutritious. I don’t think it was apples sugar content that inspired the saying an apple a day keeps the doctor away. My point was that people consider apples nutritious despite the lack of fat and calories. There are many things that contain fat calories and sugar that people don’t consider nutritious.

Also I stated multiple times that I was not implying you could live off mushrooms or that you don’t need fat and calories in your diet (there has never been a disagreement there) I understand the importance of fat and calories in your diet especially in a survival situation. But yet you keep using it as if I was implying that getting the nutrients in mushrooms was more important in a survival situation then getting fat and calories, and I was not implying that at all. What I was saying was only that if you eat them (non poisonous ones) you are adding vitamins and minerals to your body. I understand that is not fuel but it is a form of nourishment and benefits your body.

I don’t understand your point about dirt having nutrients since I already stated I was aware that there are other sources nutrients and there being other sources of nutrients dos not make the mushroom any less nutritious. I don’t see the logic in saying mushrooms have no nutritional value because you can get nutrition ells where. My point wasn’t that mushrooms are a better source of nutrition the others. My point was simply to broaden the options. You wouldn’t say rosehips are worthless because you can get vitamin C from pine needles, its just another option.

And those of you who are worried about poisonous mushrooms, I can respect that. I wouldn’t recommend picking mushrooms if you aren’t certain about the identification.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Bro, if you're the prez it'll be a Dick-tatorship, LMAOOOOOOOOOO
    LMAO!!!!

Default owl_girl

I thought you just gave a very clear, succinct and reasonable explanation of your point of view.

Thanks trax .

Blog Entries

I... uh... yeah what Trax said. Nice write Owl Girl. And Trax I got your back if'n someone tries to mess with ya, fact I'll get in front and they gotta go through me first. And Rick... hmmm... my valley ain't go no boarders bro, North America is one big land in these eyes, Fed's... screw'em come get me I got something for ya
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Letuce. lettuce there is another non food item it is listed as a free food on most diets. Apples are actually a good food source with plenty of calories. Why is it that some people come to the defence of non issue subject ask an Inuet if fat is good for you (they know they wil die without it) I realize that we talk about a lot of things here but mostly how they apply to survival it is what we do. on this site when some one talks about food we think survival rations and what is the most energy for the least expenditure of energy and I think most look at it like this. The most common way to to refer to the food value of something is to say nutritional but in most survival cases it is really caloric value that is being refered to. It is not that some where that vitamins and minerals don't come into the picture but mostly in a theraputic way for illness. To be objective fat is pretty hard to come by in the wild so we need large amounts of proteen and carbs(if you can find them) when you are in a bad spot and ain't geting home easy if at all nutrition takes on a different meaning. Letece full of H2O
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Then why were you using salad as a health food example for McDonald’s?

The average sized apple has around 75 calories and you use most of that digesting it and I still don’t think that’s why people say an apple a day…ya know

ask an Inuet if fat is good for you (they know they wil die without it)
    I already told that I don’t disagree that people need fat in their diet especially in a survival situation but there you go debating it again. Who are you debating it with? Listen carefully I don’t disagree that people need fat and calories in their diet especially in a survival situation so why do you keep stating it?

Blog Entries

Talking Oh yeah?

Right, like none of you guys would NOT go into the woods with Owl Girl to help her look for mushrooms, nutrients or not! Gimmie a break!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I don’t want to go alone into those deep dark woods

you haven't eaten in a week and you got to choose I good size mushroom of an simi familar type and a big double cheese burger which one gets turned into fertalizer before you have to hike twenty miles to the road.

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

(fingers in ears) I can't hear you. I can't hear you. I can't hear you. Salacious. Salacious. Salacious.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Wink That does it!

you haven't eaten in a week and you got to choose I good size mushroom of an simi familar type and a big double cheese burger which one gets turned into fertalizer before you have to hike twenty miles to the road.
    Owl Girl, you & I are going "mushroom" hunting; HOP can go looking for the "Big Mac"!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I repeat My point with the apples and McDonalds was not to debate rather or not they were a better food source then mushrooms. It was explaining why I came to the conclusion that people are often speaking of vitamins and minerals when they say something is nutritious.

Did I ever say mushrooms were a better food source then a cheeseburger? NO. There are many better food sources then mushrooms. Did my thread say mushrooms the best food source in the world? NO. Did my thread say mushrooms the best food source in the woods? NO. I much rather have a Greek gyro but let’s be realistic gyros and cheeseburger don’t grow in the woods.

I think we ned to get the USDA and the FDA involved to se if this aledged nutricious mushroom even mets minimun requirement standards to be labeled legaly as nutritricous. I f it doesn't met standards it goes in the nonfood bin.

Blog Entries

Wink Yeah, what she said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    I much rather have a Greek gyro but let’s be realistic gyros and cheeseburger don’t grow in the woods.
    And...and...Curley Fries don't grow wild neither! (sorry Nell.) Actually, I didn't know they made "Curley" Fries, How about "Moe" Fries, Or "Larry Fries", or "Shemp Fries?" (n'yuk n'yuk)
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Come on hop you know you wont to help me look for mushrooms lol. Stop being stubborn.

What we have here is an ambitious factitious judicious (albeit nutritious) a wee bit malicious, somewhat vicious, perhaps superstitious (it makes me suspicious) but always delicious thread.

Oh, Sarge. You sleigh me (little Christmas pun).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default who cares.. really

if i am in the woods i will eat mushrooms if any of you posers take the time to educate yourselves about wilderness survival you will learn quickly about five or six mushrooms that are easily identifiable and will help keep you alive food in the stomach will give you energy to keep going. honestly some of you need to get in some dirt time and educate yourselves.

always be prepared..