Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nutritional Value of Mushrooms

mushrooms are awesome ,, however in a survival situation in my opinion unless your an expert at identity ,,, leave dis one alone , cuz if your wrong you may be dead wrong juss my opinion lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i would not trip over a nickel to pick up a dollar.
    I like that saying.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Default missing the point

there are four basic easily identifiable mushrooms without any look a likes that if ppl take the time to educate themselves you do not have to be an "expert" to id shrooms, isn't the point of us being here is to learn so take the time and read something, buy a book, look it up on the net, find someone with experience, go to a school but always, must i stress this always keep an open mind an an attitude of willingness to learn.

always be prepared..

Okay, and they would be?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

1-shaggy mane

2- morrels, easy to tell/learn between the true and the false

3- giant puffball

4-chicken of the woods or sulfur shelf.

look each up on the net or in a book then go out and look. the puffball is the hardest to find, unless you live near farm feilds and cows.

another easy one to learn are the boletes, but would recomend seeking knowledge on those, next year i can walk you thru them easily on the site, with my videos.

Default oh man

Don't you just hate these guys with their well researched, responsible and intelligent answers? Just shut up WE (GAWD I hope someone that tough knows when I'm kidding)

I think one of the important points to bear in mind in these conversations is what exactly we're talking about. If you're starving....seeking out mushrooms is probably not the best way to expend energy. However, if you're outdoorsying around (new word! proud of me? anyone?) and mushrooms are available and you're trying to eat based on what you can harvest in nature then they sure do make a nice addition to the stew.

I've picked and eaten these big-a##ed wild mushrooms up north for years, I've never checked what type or kind they are. One of my mentors showed them to me and if I see some handy, I add them to what I'm cooking....if not...I don't spend a lot of time seeking them out.

The other thing is...you can be doing one of a hundred different chores and come across..wild mushrooms, wild onions, carrots, asparagus....it doesn't take a whole whack of energy to take a few minutes out and pick some. Me? A perfect day would be ..chunking up a ruffed grouse that I just shot and cleaned, throwing it into a pot with some water, stirring in some wild onions and mushrooms and if I have some flour, lard and baking powder, whipping up a bannock that I can cook on a forked stick. OK, I have to go look at a different subject now cuz I'm getting myself hungry.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Who cares!! Just put a mess of them in my omelet!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

We should go hiking together Don...If we run into any strange new mushrooms...you can try the omelettes first, LOL
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

moreover, many mushrooms have significant amounts of protien, wich [provided you have enough water, some fat intake and a bit of carbs] is a good source of calories.

the real danger, as with plants is the identification.

if you are in a subsistence situation, you'd be better off knowing a few key, useful mushroom species in advance, rather than trying to identify unfamiliar species when there is other food about.

i eat a new species of mushroom often, but in the comfort of my own home and after i've had the chance to be sure of the placement of said mushroom into a safe taxon. if i needed to condider eating mushrooms for subsistence, i'd stick to the few dozen species i can recognize on sight. if you are truely familiar with one or two, or six, or a dozen edibles and happen to come across one you know, same deal, would you sddenly trust them less?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Cool Never happen if I'm around, little lady!

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    I don’t want to go alone into those deep dark woods
    No fear of that happening OwlGirl, if I'm anywhere near the far North woods! I'll even show you a few easy mushrooms in your hood, that you can eat safely. As you well know, sweet thing, it's ALL about the knowledge, when it comes to being in the bush. Lots of armchair experts waste time tellin' folks like you and me to stay away from mushrooms etc. etc. They'd rather stick to the negative side of life and try to tell you what they don't know for sure, than to hear what you DO know to be true.

People who have walked the walk and danced the dance of real-life woods living, know how to use as many natural food sources as are available in their immediate area, to the best of their advantage. Starving folks NEVER say, Ooouuww, I don't like mushrooms and frogs and stuff. When real starvation hits you, you would VERY likely eat a large bear or moose paddy and love it.

Don't let all the nay sayers get to you sweet missy, you and your partner are doing a swell job of being real up there and life-dancing in the North woods. That includes, your beliefs in eating any wild edible foods from your neck of the woods that you know to be so.

You know, I can't see these armchair experts and repeaters of bs, just walkin' by a whole whack of Chicken in the woods or Angel wings or Morels for that matter, and saying, oh no, I'd rather starve than waste my time on that dirty fungus...

Glad to hear you've tried to stick to the original subject matter as well, Owlgirl. Perhaps many could have learned a few new wild foods had most of these posts been about what I thought was an easy topic.

Oh well, I guess we do need a recipe thread started eh, sarge47? And a nutrition thread could even get a lot of arguments going about wasting our time while stranded in the woods along with another one about what NOT to eat out there to save you some time?

Chow,
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...

Cool Here! Here!

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    if i am in the woods i will eat mushrooms if any of you posers take the time to educate yourselves about wilderness survival you will learn quickly about five or six mushrooms that are easily identifiable and will help keep you alive food in the stomach will give you energy to keep going. honestly some of you need to get in some dirt time and educate yourselves.

always be prepared..
    Here, Here, my Man Wareagle! Well spoken sir buddyman! That makes at least three of us now that aren't afraid to step-up for what is real...
    Reality Rules!
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...