Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Value of Mushrooms

Default Nutritional value of mushrooms.

Yes mushroom indeed has nutritional value (there’s a myth that they don’t) Here are a couple sites I found that has some good information, I had heard that a good sized portabella potassium then a banana. Still looking for more nutritional info on morals though.
    http://www.mushrooms.ca/good/nutrition.aspx
    http://www.meadowmushrooms.co.nz/mushroomnutrition.htm

sweet... i love mushrooms in my pasta

Good stuff, Owl Girl. Thank you. I retract my earlier post on the nutrition part.

I've owned Simon and Schuster's Guide to Mushrooms since the early 80s and pick some in the wild. I don't get very adventurous and stick to the ones I'm really familiar with. The non-gilled varieties. They are excellent anyway you want to fix them. But a can't let the post go by without a note that there are MANY highly toxic mushrooms to be had and many that look very much like their edible cousins. And some that can't be identified unless the entire mushroom is present (the Amanita for one). Learn from someone that knows what they are doing if you are just starting out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The site said virtualy no calories ,or fat or sodium how is this nutricious especialy in a survival senerio.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Did you even read this HOP? Its not like I said you could live off mushrooms, I simply stated they have nutritional value. Do you not call this nutrition? It takes more then fat and calories to consider something nutritious, you wouldn’t call McDonald's nutritious would you? It's not healthy to live off fat and calories alone. A fat person can still be nutritionally deficient. You need to protect your immune system and organs especially in a long-term survival situation. Your body needs vitamins and minerals, which mushrooms have.

Folate
    4% DV (16.0 mcg)
    · Plays an essential role in building new body cells, by helping to make DNA and RNA.
    · Works with vitamin B12 to form hemoglobin in red blood cells. Prevents megaloblastic anemia.
    · The Dietary Reference Intake [DRI] for women of child-bearing age is 400 micrograms. Folate is essential for lowering the risk of neural tube defects such as spina bifida in developing fetuses.
    Niacin (Vitamin B3)
    18% DV (3.6 mg)
    · Important for the metabolism of carbohydrate and fatty acids.
    · Acts as a co-enzyme in many biological reduction and oxidation reactions. Required for energy metabolism.
    · Helps enzymes function normally.
    Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5)
    15% DV (1.5 mg)
    · Acts as a co-enzyme in fatty acid metabolism.
    · Has numerous other essential roles in energy metabolism.
    Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
    24% DV (0.4 mg)
    · Required for the metabolism of carbohydrates, amino acids and lipids, and supports antioxidant protection.(1)
    · Changes the amino acid tryptophan in food into niacin.
    · Enzyme essential to all areas of metabolism particularly that of carbohydrate and fatty acids(2).
    Thiamin (Vitamin B1)
    5% DV (0.1 mg)
    · Plays essential roles in carbohydrate metabolism and neural function.(3)
    Vitamin B6
    5% DV (0.1 mg)
    · Primarily involved in metabolism of amino acids.
    · Helps produce other body chemicals including insulin, hemoglobin and antibodies that fight infection.
    Copper
    16% DV (0.3 mg)
    · Found in all body tissues, with the bulk in the liver, brain, heart and kidney.
    · An essential micronutrient that plays a role in making hemoglobin.
    · Also involved in energy production.
    Iron
    3% DV (0.5 mg)
    · A component of hemoglobin and myoglobin and is important in oxygen transfer.
    · A component of numerous enzymes.
    · About 70% is found in hemoglobin, about 25% is stored in liver, spleen and bone.
    Magnesium
    2% DV (9.0 mg)
    · Macronutrient with 50% found in bone and the other 50% almost entirely inside body cells.
    · Serves as an important part of more than 300 enzymes responsible for regulating many body functions including energy production, making body protein and muscle contraction.
    · Also helps maintain nerve and muscle cells.
    Phosphorus
    9% DV (86.0 mg)
    · A component of every cell and other important compounds including DNA and RNA which are responsible for cell growth and repair.
    · Part of phospholipids present in every cell membrane in the body.
    · Is a major component of bones and teeth.
    · Important for pH regulation.
    Potassium
    9% DV (318 mg)
    · Helps regulate fluids and mineral balance in and out of body cells.
    · Helps maintain blood pressure.
    · Important for muscle contraction and transmission of nerve impulses.
    Selenium
    13% DV (9.3 mcg)
    · Is involved in fat metabolism.
    · Acts as an antioxidant with vitamin E.
    Zinc
    3% DV (0.5 mg)
    · Helps the body use carbohydrate, protein and fat.
    · A constituent of many enzymes and insulin.
    · Promotes cell reproduction, tissue growth and repair. Adequate zinc intake is essential for growth.
    · Involved in immune function.
    · Also plays many important structural roles as components of proteins.

Blog Entries

Talking Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    Yes mushroom indeed has nutritional value (there’s a myth that they don’t) Here are a couple sites I found that has some good information, I had heard that a good sized portabella potassium then a banana. Still looking for more nutritional info on morals though.
    http://www.mushrooms.ca/good/nutrition.aspx
    http://www.meadowmushrooms.co.nz/mushroomnutrition.htm
    Dunno if Morels have a lot of nutrician but if I ran across a bunch of them while out in the woods....YUMMIE!!!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Lightbulb

Yes 'shrooms have nutritional value but, if you don't know what you are doing in the woods you shouldn't pick them. There are many poisonous 'shrooms that look like their non-poisonous cousins, but you can die from a poisonous 'shroom. Be cautious, VERY CAUTIOUS, when picking wild 'shrooms!!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Blog Entries

Talking Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    Yes 'shrooms have nutritional value but, if you don't know what you are doing in the woods you shouldn't pick them. There are many poisonous 'shrooms that look like their non-poisonous cousins, but you can die from a poisonous 'shroom. Be cautious, VERY CAUTIOUS, when picking wild 'shrooms!!
    Dawg you're 100% on the 'shroom danger. Tell you what, you find any Morels and you're not sure send 'em to me and I'll check 'em for ya!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Mushrooms don't just hop into your pan in the bush there would hardly be a very good exchange of calories for energy expent searching for them , a month suplpy of one a day vitamins takes up as much room as one good size mushroom and the healthy effect from mushrooms would not really have a positive impact on short term survival where energy is the prime concern , I under stand many people like mushrooms if nutritional vitamin content was the prime need in a survival a bottle of multies would be all you need . In the wild you don't eat fat you going to die if you spend all your time foraging for mushrooms you die , you may die healthy but you still die.

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

HOP makes a point, in a true survival situation you'll probably expend more calories looking for them than they're worth, as such they'd probably be considered a food of opportunity and nothing more. If you find them, great, but finding them shouldn't be your main focus.

Of course in a true survival situation most foods will be foods of opportunity.

I'd view mushrooms in much the same way I'd view spices. Not so much for nutritional value but rather as an enhancement to make the food taste better.

Still, a news item from several years back comes to mind any time I consider "wild" mushrooms. Seems there was a family camping in Mississippi who decided to add some "wild" mushrooms to their meal. IIRC it was a man and his wife and either one or two very small children. Supposedly the man knew how to identify mushrooms (or thought he did). Several days later they all became ill. Turned out that the mushrooms had done permanent, chronic and irreversible liver damage and they all died from it. For me the risks far outweigh the benefits.
    OTOH, as I understand it morels are safe and have no look alikes or even near look alikes that are not safe. I could be wrong about that too.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by SemperParatus View Post
    I'd view mushrooms in much the same way I'd view spices. Not so much for nutritional value but rather as an enhancement to make the food taste better.

Still, a news item from several years back comes to mind any time I consider "wild" mushrooms. Seems there was a family camping in Mississippi who decided to add some "wild" mushrooms to their meal. IIRC it was a man and his wife and either one or two very small children. Supposedly the man knew how to identify mushrooms (or thought he did). Several days later they all became ill. Turned out that the mushrooms had done permanent, chronic and irreversible liver damage and they all died from it. For me the risks far outweigh the benefits.
    OTOH, as I understand it morels are safe and have no look alikes or even near look alikes that are not safe. I could be wrong about that too.
    There is a "False Morel", but they're pretty easy to identify. I'm not a regular "mushroom hunter" and don't pick anything but the regular Morels. They don't have a very long life-span. If I was in a "survival" situation during their season and found a bunch without too much difficulty they're on the menu. Otherwise wisdom dictates that I keep over-exertion down to a minnimum.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

If I were in a survival situation, I'd not eat mushrooms at all. Risks outweigh benefits, IMO
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

I don't know anything about he growth cycle and season but would think that the would not be a constant sorce of food regardless of value I don't find them particular and besides I coulda had a V8.

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    Mushrooms don't just hop into your pan in the bush there would hardly be a very good exchange of calories for energy expent searching for them , a month suplpy of one a day vitamins takes up as much room as one good size mushroom and the healthy effect from mushrooms would not really have a positive impact on short term survival where energy is the prime concern , I under stand many people like mushrooms if nutritional vitamin content was the prime need in a survival a bottle of multies would be all you need . In the wild you don't eat fat you going to die if you spend all your time foraging for mushrooms you die , you may die healthy but you still die.
    Well obviously you are going to die if you don’t eat calories and fat, that was never a disagreement. And it’s kind of hard to come by vitamin supplements in the woods lol. And not everybody carries them around everywhere. When people are foraging for food in a survival situation they don’t normally limit their search for one specific type of food but instead pick as much of whatever they find and if they come across some edible mushrooms while foraging it would be beneficial to include them in their meal. In modern life mushrooms are a very valuable source of nutrition just like apples for example are low in calories and have no fat but people know they’re nutritious. I wouldn’t recommend relying only on mushrooms for vitamins either as your body need a variety. Considering mushrooms as a source of vitamins and minerals only expands your options but there are may other sources to be considered as well. I’m not saying you can live off them but they do have nutritional value.

Thought you guys might find this interesting about milk thistle seeds and the effects it has on treating your liver for mushroom poisoning.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/m...tle-000266.htm

http://www.vitaminstuff.com/herbs-milk-thistle.html

This info wouldn’t make me any less cautious though.
    I have picked morels once or twice with a friend but other than that I don’t pick wild mushrooms because I don’t have that kind of knowledge yet.

Morels are around here. Those would be the only ones I would pick. They can grow in some weird and unlikely places, so I don't think it would be worth looking for them alone. Like someone said it would be a food of opportunity, but I would load up on them if i saw them.

There are still mushrooms out there that I'm interested in more for their esoteric value than their nutritional value....could someone point those ones out to me?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I could point you to a dictionary to look up esoteric.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Every post I have seen here and other forums when some one says that mushrooms have little food value thats what they mean and any other values mean little if you don't have food that creates energy. you can put a 180 day suply of viatimins in an 6 or 8 oz bottle and probably should cary some with your bugout supplies fouraging is both a seasonal and geographic isue got to take what you find or bring with you the benifits other than taste of mushrooms is zip.