Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Value of Mushrooms

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    Every post I have seen here and other forums when some one says that mushrooms have little food value thats what they mean and any other values mean little if you don't have food that creates energy. you can put a 180 day suply of viatimins in an 6 or 8 oz bottle and probably should cary some with your bugout supplies fouraging is both a seasonal and geographic isue got to take what you find or bring with you the benifits other than taste of mushrooms is zip.
    Yes you can get nutrients from supplements but what dos that have to do with rather or not mushrooms have nutrients? Why would you go only to forums for that info? If it’s a common myth obviously that’s what most of them will say. Go to a site with scientific backup and professionals. You said they said “mushrooms have little food value” Well I specifically stated “nutritional value” I’m not debating how much food value/ fat and calories mushrooms have since I’ve always known they don’t have much and I have no disagreement about that. I know your body needs fuel for energy but without the proper nutrients it won’t be able to use that fuel efficiently. I can understand saying there are easier to find sources of nutrition but I can’t understand saying mushrooms are not nutritious at all.

Questions.
    1.Do you think apples have no nutritional value?
    2.Do you not believe mushrooms contain Folate, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium and Zinc?
    3.Do you believe the above listed vitamins and minerals are not nutritious?
    4.Can you show me a reliable nutrition site (not a forum) where you got your information?

What vitamins do you really need for survival? Obviously we all want to fight cancer and heart disease, but we're not talking about 80 year survival here, more short term, what is really needed?

Vitamin C can be found in anything green, and of course fruit and berries.

Vitamin D can be gained from sunlight (though mostly in the summer in warmer climes), not really much risk of running low on that if you're stuck outdoors.

I don't know if I've ever really heard of major deficiencies of anything else.

Of course your B vitamins, iron, other minerals, can be gotten from meat.

Blog Entries

Talking Yeah, but...

The Morel is named to mean "Morale"; it raises the morale 'cause it tastes good. Again, actively searching for these can be a major pain in the butt, so I would have to trip over them to get any.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ok so now the question turns to how important are those nutrients not rather mushrooms do or don’t have them.

No I wasn’t thinking 80 years when I said long-term lol more like 1 or 2.
    The functions of those vitamins and minerals are listed and though you could probably do without for a while they are still very beneficial and why go without if you have the opportunity not to? Vitamins do affect your energy level.

It’s a good question. I personally think that vitamins and minerals of many kinds are important for everyday living but that’s just my opinion and I’d have to do research to get all the information I need to support it. I’m not sure I care enough to bother but if someone wants to debate it I’d like to see information that supports their statement as well. Fair?

Blog Entries

Talking Go girl!

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    Ok so now the question turns to how important are those nutrients not rather mushrooms do or don’t have them.

No I wasn’t thinking 80 years when I said long-term lol more like 1 or 2.
    The functions of those vitamins and minerals are listed and though you could probably do without for a while they are still very beneficial and why go without if you have the opportunity not to? Vitamins do affect your energy level.

It’s a good question. I personally think that vitamins and minerals of many kinds are impotent for everyday living but that’s just my opinion and I’d have to do research to get all the information I need to support it. I’m not sure I care enough to bother but if someone wants to debate it I’d like to see information that supports their statement as well. Fair?
    I'm wit' cha Owl Girl. I'm here for "Morel" support! (That's a "play on words", get it? "Morel support"? Well...um..cough, cough.)
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

lol pretty good

Owl girl this is a survival forum and not a nutrition forum a but most myths are based in fact and I do offer evidence to support my claim that mushrooms have little food valus it is the same site you posted for the values of mushrooms I think you should have caught that and used a nother example that doesn't shoot its self down. I have never heard mention any where of people stating "you know I like mushroms but they just don't meet my standards for nutrition" you never see them in trail mix or added to pimician and in wildernes aplications are more likely to be used as fire tender than a food source , in survival you ned real value and not Myth Busters ask the real experts if mushrooms are of value for survival I would think that Ron Hood or Christopher Nyerges might give an opinion maybe we can resirect Uel Gibons and get his take on this.
    This approach of nutritional value is posabily what got McCandles starved to death while still having a full larder.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I guess I started this row with my "no nutritional value" comment. I think you are both right. Every food source has some nutritional value. Value for energy expended is really what tips the scale here. If I happen upon Sarge's morels then I'll gather them in a heart beat (sorry, Sarge) but I won't spend time looking for them as my only meal. And all the caution statements stand. If you are a newby, then read this thread for the cautionary statements scattered through it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Owl girl this is a survival forum and not a nutrition forum a but most myths are based in fact and I do offer evidence to support my claim that mushrooms have little food valus it is the same site you posted for the values of mushrooms

What? My site listed a bunch of nutritional value. True it lists that they don’t have fat or many calories but I already told you there is no disagreement on that so why are you debating it? Hop I’m not even sure what you are debating. Are you debating what mushrooms contain? Or the importance of what mushrooms contain? Those are two separate topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I could point you to a dictionary to look up esoteric.
    esoteric: "of a philosophical doctrine or the like--intended to be revealed only to initiates of a group" see also; arcane, cryptic, enigmatic

Psychotropic: affecting mental activity, behavior or perception

Point at that, Ricky. There are certain cacti out there that I might find particularly interesting as well, usually consumed by initiates of a specific group.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    esoteric: "of a philosophical doctrine or the like--intended to be revealed only to initiates of a group" see also; arcane, cryptic, enigmatic

Psychotropic: affecting mental activity, behavior or perception

Point at that, Ricky. There are certain cacti out there that I might find particularly interesting as well, usually consumed by initiates of a specific group.
    So you are looking for magic mushroom lol.

I thought psychotropic had to do with the tropics. You know, tropics, sub-tropics, psychotropics. I'm all for that affecting mental activity, though. Anything that improves my behavior or perception would be a good thing. I do take a pill to help with my memory but I just take half a pill 'cause there are some things I'd sooner forget. :O)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    So you are looking for magic mushroom lol.
    Actually, I only meant it as a wee bit of humor, anyone stumbling around out in the bush on magic mushrooms or peyote I sincerely hope is unarmed and well-monitored by friends.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

one of the more common defenictions of nutrition is food and that is the most common use for describing items you can eat in a survival discussion and in these ordinary comon context it is true that mushrooms have little nutritional value, what are you going to do increase your field guides with extra semi usless information or carry around a spectography machine to analize every thing. I wonder if the information is even about wild mushrooms or most likely it is about the ones that are kept in the dark and fed lots of furtilizer.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I'm gonna go get a mirror. I may resemble that.

one of the more common defenictions of nutrition is food and that is the most common use for describing items you can eat in a survival discussion and in these ordinary comon context it is true that mushrooms have little nutritional value
    To me that’s still like saying apples have very little nutritional value considering they don’t have fat or much for calories but yet I hear people say all the time that apples are nutritious.

Default an apple a day

keeps the doctor away. In fact, in can put the doctor right out cold is your aim is good enough with the apple.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    keeps the doctor away. In fact, in can put the doctor right out cold is your aim is good enough with the apple.
    LMAO That was hilarious!Hope there are no doctors on the forum LOL!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I have never heard someone say McDonald's is nutritious despite the fact that it is loaded with fat and calories. That’s why I believe people are often (though not always) talking about vitamins and minerals when they say nutritious.

Pardon my typos on that last one...whoa....