Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alert...Half-Baked Idea....OK 1/4 Baked Idea

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Alert...Half-Baked Idea....OK 1/4 Baked Idea

OK, this is a rough draft of a half baked idea. The key to the concept is that it needs someone we all trust. My original idea, which was rejected by Rick, was that I would send Safety Zone say maybe $200.00 seed money and then challenge others (Voluntarily) to kick in say $10.00 or $50.00 or what ever amount. and we would have an account maybe call-it the "CHIN-UP" account from which the gift-board of say (3) three respected members, could authorize a gift certificate for a member, who is down on their luck, or an award for rookie of the year, for rep points by a 12 month or less member.

As I said it a rough idea, need "POSITIVE" feed back. Rick 86'ed any involvement as inappropriate, which I respect. Maybe every Christmas when I want to do something for my friends, I could kick in some money to the fund.

Positive feed-back requested.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-12-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Not 1/2 baked at all. Kind of the thought process I put into this http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ad.php?t=10006
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What was Rick's objections? How might it have been inappropriate?

Not to speak for him, but I'm guessing that he felt it may look as though his site/store was being promoted. It's OK for others to talk about the stuff he sells, just not him.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Not to speak for him, but I'm guessing that he felt it may look as though his site/store was being promoted. It's OK for others to talk about the stuff he sells, just not him.
    That's understandable. Still, if it was a group of three members (as Sourdough suggested)that handled the fund and Rick wasnt one of them then I dont see how it would be an issue.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe someone like Crash, would hold the funds and the fund would have a open account with anyone offering products through the forum. Maybe it could be a blank gift redeemable at any forum vendor. My objective is NOT to support any forum businesses. But as a way to brighten up someones day who is having a hard time. However I don't want to get conned.

I like it. Don't mind giving back.
    Ken has helped me out so much with legal stuff, I need to keep track of it so I can pay him back. I will be placing a 'score card' in my sig as a reminder.

DEBT:

Repaid:

I think it's a good idea.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

If it can be worked out, I am in
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I like the idea. My concern is there are other retailers on the forum and my involvement could easily be viewed as inappropriate. In addition, Chris has advertisers on the forum as well as links to retail companies and using them would generate revenue for him. So, to avoid any appearance of impropriety on my part I declined. I did appreciate him thinking of me, however.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I think It's a good idea, and probably the only way I could be of any help to anyone given my geographical location.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in, but it might be a little while before I can donate. When someone is down on their luck, even a small gift is a big way to warm a heart.
    For the record, I don't think I deserve any reward for rep points. There are others on here that are in even worse economic shape than myself who could use it much more than me. Just knowing that my contributions are helpful is reward enough for me, because I have learned a lot FROM the boards, and I feel it's fair to give back some of what I've taken away. Knowledge is the best reward for me. There are lots of things I "want" but not much in the way of things I "need" and I'd rather have anything like this go to someone who needs it.
    If Crashblade want's to send me a knife... lol. just teasing.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I like it, might be a while before I can throw in as well, but I will. Keep us posted those who want to look after the detail work and how do we determine what members will choose the recipient? Just one more detail.

I know at Christmas time, just past, I had the staff put in names of people they felt needed a little push at Christmas and we would all donate to a hamper of goodies for them.One staff member put in her sister's name. Her name was pulled out of the hat. This is a woman in her 40's with one adult child. I was in line for coffee at Tim Horton's with my maintenance guy and she came in behind us and asked us for a lift to a big rez bingo hall about 3 miles away. She was clutching $40 in her paw. At that moment I decided to not contribute to the hamper. I told the staff next year I'm establishing criteria for who's name gets to go in.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    and she came in behind us and asked us for a lift to a big rez bingo hall about 3 miles away. She was clutching $40 in her paw. At that moment I decided to not contribute to the hamper. I told the staff next year I'm establishing criteria for who's name gets to go in.

Ditto, and this is why "Not Money" but a $25.00 or $50.00 gift certificate. Say to someone like Graywolf, for feeding body parts to alligators, or Hoosierarcher, or klkak for offering his ankle to a fellow traveler for traction under a ATV. I don't want people joining the forum to con us, I see it as a care basket for friends, not a lot of real value, but a symbol of our feelings for them.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-13-2010 at 02:09 PM.

You da man, Uncle Sourdough
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

And every nickel helps when you don't have one.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

OK, Rick.....does Safety Zone offer gift certificates.........?

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Ditto, and this is why "Not Money" but a $25.00 or $50.00 gift certificate. Say to someone like Graywolf, for feeding body parts to alligators, or Hoosierarcher, or klkak for offering his ankle to a fellow traveler for traction under a ATV. I don't want people joining the forum to con us, I see it as a care basket for friends, not a lot of real value, but a symbol of our feelings for them.
    I agree 100%.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough
    does Safe Zone offer gift certificates.
    Not at this time but we are working on that.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This Idea is going to die. And I think that is sad, not because I brought it forward, but because it is a simple way to use leverage to maximize a positive result, namely brighten someones day.

There are three things needed, the hardest is the retailer willing to do it.

Second is oversight, know one is stepping forth to be the truster.

Third is the money, I see this the easiest of the three requirements.

Rick, would you float this thread past Chris, I would like his thoughts.