Thread: Any good?

Blog Entries

Default Any good?

I've been coveting all your Dutch ovens and have found a nice Lodge Dutch oven combo. As it's only for me and maybe Winnie jnr and my other sometime son, I think the size is about right. It's going to be cheaper to import it than buy one over here, but that's par for the course! What does everyone think, is it OK?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Same thing over here........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

That's $116!!!!!!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

My dutch oven is a lodge brand. I like it. I don't have the combo - mine has the traditional lid with a lip. I think you will like it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Winnie, Strongly suggest you find one that has a flat top & a lip. If it does not have the lip it is just a Pot and not a Oven.

This has a center heat cone which is more gooooder for baking...... http://www.amazon.com/Camp-UDO-14-Ul...5432265&sr=1-4
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-01-2012 at 11:42 AM.

I don't have one, but I have seen them. The top "skillet" fits the bottom like the lid of a dutch oven. It's not actually a dutch oven, but it's a heck of a bargain, and can be used in many ways.

As far as the quality of Lodge products, it is the good stuff. You will be pleased with it.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Here is a better picture. In it, you can see how the top fits the bottom. (The top/skillet has a lip.)

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=4044
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 01-01-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I enjoy my lodge products

A lot depends on how you plan on using it.
    A flat top will hold coals, either charcoal or wood coals for baking, where a round top give you a skillet and pot, both.

So if you are gonna use it in the house or camp stove a skillet top would be better, maybe?....but for even heat top and bottom, a flat top will work better.
    Add a trivet if you plan on baking in it, hold it off the bottom so it won't burn, also allow grease to drain down when cooking meat, like a roast.

Flat top:http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-4-...435420&sr=1-13
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

As I'm STILL useless at fire lighting I can't see it getting a black bottom any time soon, so realistically camp cooker and kitchen.
    SD 91/2 qts? thats 18pints! I could bathe in that. LOL
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    As I'm STILL useless at fire lighting I can't see it getting a black bottom any time soon, so realistically camp cooker and kitchen.

Don't forget to post pic's! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

We need photos or it didn't happen.

Cast Iron is very heavy and shipping is going to be expensive. If you can take advantage of the super saver shipping in UK then go for it. If not then you are looking at more for shipping than the cost of the oven. I didn't see a weight listed on any of the links but I'll guess 5 pounds (2.27 kilograms). 5lbs Priority International is $41.85 via USPS. Either way you have to add customs fees and duties on top of that.

I like my Lodge stuff, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I've worked out postage will be $43. Even if I have to pay taxes and handling it will still be more than $40 cheaper than over here, and if I get it sent as a gift...... no taxes!

There are other makes here, but they don't look that brilliant. I'd rather buy right, once.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Winnie, It is gonna cost shipping it but, if you don't have any other way to attain a Lodge Kettle and the flat lid with the lip. I'd go for it. Cooked some navy Beans today in mine, made pork and beans from scratch....Yummm! Over the campfire.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson