I found the following on The Wilderness Survival Blog.
http://www.wilderness-survival-skill...an-heater.html

It would not surprise me if something similar had been posted here before, but I thought I would throw it out for a critique by the WSF "experts." How well do you think this will actually work?
---------------------

Coffee can heater
by Mike Knight
(Fleahop, Alabama, USA)

While on active duty I discovered the value of carrying a small Coffee can Heater in my alert bag. Consists of: (1) 1 Lb coffee can(with lid), a roll of toliet paper(unscented) 1 16 ounce bottle of alcohol.

Used as follows:

Remove cardboard core from toilet paper and place roll in coffee can.
Pour alcohol in can over toilet paper.
Cover with plastic lid until need to use.

To use, toss match or lighted tinder piece into can(alcohol will not burst into flame, but always be careful when lighting things). Can produces hot smokeless flame. Only top portion of can gets hot, botton of can stays cool.

When done smother fire, wait a minute or two and cover with plastic lid. Pack and go. When using please consider it is an open flame and will require some ventilation for safety. Also do not use plastic lid to smother fire.

This little heater is great as a light source and great little heater to warm hands and heat water without the hassle of gathering wood for quick fire. Enjoy!