Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ski bum may get two years in Prison for camping

Default Ski bum may get two years in Prison for camping

Here is an article about a ski bum who might get two years in prison and a $250,000 fine for illegal camping as well as a couple other misdemeanors >

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_14161506

Here is a site with quite a few photos of ski bum Charlie Toups >

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-C...2972854?ref=ts

He looks like a real danger and burden to society. NOT!

But now Toups' brawny 6-foot frame is wedged in a jail cell in Georgetown, imprisoned for the past 57 days on misdemeanor federal charges of camping on public land, possessing marijuana and assaulting a Forest Service officer.

When officers searched his pockets, according to Lunders' testimony, they found "misdemeanor level paraphernalia and marijuana."

I guess I have a personality that conflicts with some tenets of management," he said.

I guess I am in a postion that will not be popular. I don't have sympathy for him. He was in possession of an illegal substance (not go to debate whether it should or should not be illegal), he resisted a government representative, and is admittedly a person that has Management conflicts.

I do like that he has had the opportunity to live the life style that he has chosen, but rules are rules. If we all went off "willy nilly" and ignored societies norms, there would be an even bigger mess. My opinion. And I will not debate legalities of Marijuana, etc, so please save those arguements
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

"The land of the free and the home of the brave"?????????
    I know what hunts you.

Now where did I draw that line between freedom and anarchy? Oh, yeah. Laws. Whew, I almost forgot.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah, I'm not even interested in the grass possession, but actively resistant because he tensed up? He didn't strike, kick, etc etc at either officer and she had a post traumatic stress episode that caused her heart to enlarge? Get into a different line of work lady. And lawbreaking or not, somebody tell me who this guy was hurting?

By the same token, personally, if you want to break laws like that go ahead, but face the consequences when you get busted.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

i would be right on board, except that i happen to know what stupidly involuntary actions can prompt resisting arrest charges.

without having been there, i have no place drawing a conclusion one way or the other.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

So if they give this guy a $250,000 fine, how's he going to come up with the cash? I suppose he could start selling dope at ski hills, seems to me there'd be a market around those kinds of places for that sort of thing.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

He could also rent out his camping spot at the DOT parking lot.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Isn't there something in the Bill of Rights pertaing to punishment must fit the crime???!!!??? Since when does a misdemeanor elicit a $250,000.00 fine???? If that is the case, why aren't these tax evading schmucks in DC getting the electric chair??? People would gladly pay to watch that!!!!!
    I know what hunts you.

I would think all his charges together amounted to that. Just a guess on my part, though. And it's probably the maximum allowed for those charges. It sells more press.

Were the laws he decided to ignore just? Does it matter? It was not his property. What if it had been your back yard? How about if two people decided to live in the parking lot? Maybe 100? We all have choices to make. If those choices run afowl of the law then there may be consequences. If I choose to carry a weapon in my back pack while in a park that prohibits firearms - then I will have to deal with the consequences of my actions if I am caught. Every day we choose to obey, or disregard laws. If we don't like the laws, one option is to ignore them. The other option would be to fight for change. I'd say that at 62, he has lived a pretty rich life on his terms and if I had to guess - will continue to do so.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree Crash, and this from a perspective of a man who's ignored a LOT of laws in his life. If I get nailed I take my beats. I think I'm getting too jaded and rundown to fight the "good fight", and at the risk of sounding political (which you all know I avoid as much as anyone) I think the problem with both of our great nations is too da## many laws.

I think it's a growing trend for law officers to claim health problems after an incident. Not just officers but all employees in general. Everybody wants to play the system these days, corporations too. It's so engrained in our society today.

What ever happened to just doing your job, getting your pay and going home? If people can't do the job they're hired to without suffering mental or physical anguish they should suck it up and deal with it or find another line of work. "Oh, the guy stiffened up on me and now my heart is inflated." LOL!

As far as the deadbeat goes, I think he should get normal fines and such for the pot, but, if he hadn't been arrested prior and a warrant put out for "camping" he would have never got those charges in the first place. As far as resisiting arrest and assault those charges sound trumped up to me, but I guess you'd have to be there or know the person to say for sure. It sounds like a lot of people have spoke up for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    I agree Crash, and this from a perspective of a man who's ignored a LOT of laws in his life. If I get nailed I take my beats. I think I'm getting too jaded and rundown to fight the "good fight", and at the risk of sounding political (which you all know I avoid as much as anyone) I think the problem with both of our great nations is too da## many laws.
    Amen to that brother.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Who do I talk to around here about my carpel tunnel? I have a railroad tunnel, too but that doesn't hurt.

Carpel tunnel? Is that like some underwater toll thingie for fish?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Corporal who, is in his tunnel?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

So, like the dude go to jail or what?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27