Thread: Survival Knowledge

Default Survival Knowledge

The first step in any survival situation is the knowledge you know before hand. Don't ever be afraid to stop and look around, have time to think and to make better choices.

Most people will tell you that water is the most important thing you need, and well they are right. But what happens if you cant start a fire, than all that water from the river is useless.

Learn multiple ways to start fires, getting food, building shelters, first aid, and most important navigation. Practice these skills as much as possible in every different way, test yourself with less gear every time, to make sure that all you may need is a knife.

Blog Entries

Cool I beg to differ!

The 1st step is to haul your hind parts over to the "intro" section & introduce yourself properly! Also, no one here is going to buy a stupid "hollow handle" knife. Who do you think you are? Rambo? You're coming off as a Numpty!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I haven't located a source for this if it is plagiarized but it's wrong none-the-less.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    no one here is going to buy a stupid "hollow handle" knife. Who do you think you are? Rambo? You're coming off as a Numpty!
    Haaaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaa.
    That was funny....
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Also, no one here is going to buy a stupid "hollow handle" knife.
    i dunno, i wouldn't mind owning a Tai Goo knife.

as for the water comment in the original post; i personally feel it is far better to need antibiotics next week and risk dying if i can't get them than to certainly die of thirst this week.
    Last edited by canid; 01-11-2010 at 04:50 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

That is a 'zactly statement. That's why I said he was wrong. Useless water, indeed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    i dunno, i wouldn't mind owning a Tai Goo knife.

as for the water comment in the original post; i personally feel it is far better to need antibiotics next week and risk dying if i can't get them than to certainly die of thirst this week.
    Man, beat me to the comment. I seem a little slow to respond. Long weekend.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Cool Here I go again...

The first step in any survival situation is the knowledge you know before hand.

[My, how austute!]

Don't ever be afraid to stop and look around, have time to think and to make better choices.

[And why would I be afraid?]

Most people will tell you that water is the most important thing you need, and well they are right. But what happens if you cant start a fire, than all that water from the river is useless.

[Huh? What about rain-water? What about a water filter? What about "Water on the brain?"]

Learn multiple ways to start fires,

[A flame thrower works pretty good!]

getting food, building shelters, first aid, and most important navigation.
    [Question Professor, what IS the most important navigation?]

Practice these skills as much as possible in every different way,
    [I'm so glad you told me this...I was just going to sit around & do nothing...but you've inspired me!]

test yourself with less gear every time,

[...untill your naked!]

to make sure that all you may need is a knife.

[Then you can join TBWN!]

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

"to make sure that all you may need is a knife. "

Then you failed the exercise.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Talking Attitudal Adjustment!!!

You know the old saying: "Any publicity, even bad publicity, is better than no publicity at all!"

This guy is getting exactly what he's looking for PUBLICITY!!

He's gotten people to look at his youtube page and comment on his inexperienced 'newbie' comments. Don't waste your time. . .he's obviously not worth anyone's time!!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

I think he is an inept young man trying to show the world he is alive and trying to share in a clumsy way what he knows from what ever source he can get.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    I think he is an inept young man trying to show the world he is alive and trying to share in a clumsy way what he knows from what ever source he can get.
    Probably the best comment,and probably closest to truth,with so few words.

Angry Kayos or Chaos. . . .?

Those "knifes"[sic] knives review videos are sad, for a couple of reasons.

1.) He doesn't know what the declination markings on the United knife (knifes video #1) are for, nor does he know why the blade is magnetized, and is asking for people to tell him why, on both accounts. Also, he states that the little folder he keeps in the pocket on the sheath is a "throw away, used just for striking".

2.) That there are people on YOuTube that are praising him for his videos. Telling him "great job", "nice vids", etc.

I think praising this guy and encouraging him to do more, really hurts the 'real', experienced survival instructors/teachers. And, for sure, it will damage legitimate survivalists when people take this guy's advise and get hurt!

There's no accounting for experience and knowledge!!!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Hey ND. You said in another post that we shouldn't give him the "publicity" of a reply, but you keep revivng his stuff. He was banned as a spammer a while ago. Just sayin.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

some people on the internet will praise mediocrity or ineptitude in just about any form.

just see my threads for examples.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Thumbs down "Publicity"

crashdive123 wrote: "Hey ND. You said in another post that we shouldn't give him the "publicity" of a reply, but you keep revivng his stuff. He was banned as a spammer a while ago. Just sayin."
    You're right Crash, but when I saw his Youtube page--the quality of his videos--or the lack there of--the people praising him for his efforts, and to keep making vids--I just had to write a post about it. . . .My bad!

We all start out as blank pages on any topic. We read, listen and learn and then try. If it works, the teacher was right. At least until he is proven wrong.

The problem we all have with this kid is that he comes across as believing that his blank pages are full of knowledge.

Doesn't make him a bad person. But, it might make him dangerous to others.