Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: justify your bob to me

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah, I keep a hacksaw blade and sawzall blade in there too... had to dig them out yesterday for some stuff I was workin on. Handy when workin with hardwood and bone. lightweight and a handle can be made for it on the fly.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

The only BOB I have ever had was my father, and yes he drank alot ,but you've never met my mother! So I feel he was justified indeed!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Question 72 Hour Kit. . .

Camp10 wrote: "Mine is a basic 72 hour kit. . ."
    What is a 72 hour BOB?
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    What is a 72 hour BOB?
    I have enough provisions in it to go 3 days without having to hunt anything up. I didnt think it was a tricky statement. Like the rest of my post said, I have enough supplies and equipment both here and at a place less than 3 days from here to live for quite a while. My pack really only has to get me from one to the other.

I agree. A bob can last you any amount of time you want. My wife and I can last a week on just the BOB. If I have about 10 minutes to put things in the truck we can probably go 2-3 weeks or longer. I have a 5 gallon bucket that holds 275 dehydrated meals.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In all seriousness my big problem with the BOB concept in my actual practice is that I always need something out of it for trips to the bush.

Here in Brazil I tend to set my pack up for trips to the bush depending on the season and try to leave it that way so if I get time off I can just verify the contents and go.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of bugging out, especially here in Brazil. In fact I'm most likely the place other people would bug out to so I'm more concerned with turning my property into a compound to house, water, and feed people. Mac

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Blog Entries

I agree with you Pict. I do have a 72hr BOB that's for use if I'm told to get out by the emergency services, otherwise, after careful consideration of my circumstances, I do the bug-in thing.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Should you find yourself in the midst of a divorce a BOB is absolutely handy!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

CS Man am I glad to see you!! How goes it old friend?

I am good, I'll do a short post to let everyone know I am fine!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

sjj - Yes. They sell them year round but you can catch them on sale occasionally. Costco has an entire disaster "branch".

http://www.costco.com/Common/Categor...75277*&topnav=
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The closest thing I have to a BOB are three (one for each family member), small individual emergency kits. Each kit contains first aid, emergency blanket, poncho, three days of food and water rations, whistle, light sticks, a respirator, and rubber medical gloves. (LifeSecure Emergency Solutions makes these kits.) They are the size of a womans purse and leave room for the addition of your personal items too.

If we were to have to LEAVE, the BOB bags are obviously insufficient for a family with a child. I back-pack/camp so we always have our packs ready to grab out of the basement. Each pack has our normal packing needs, (sleeping bags, tents, and such) plus our freeze dried food that we use while on the trail.

Finally I keep my REAL medical kit in a backpack by the door, so it's always easy to grab when needed.

Am I READY? Probably not...but I know I'm more ready than a lot of people out here...
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

And it may well be right for you and your family. Testing your kits is the only way to know however.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

trabitha, I'm sure if you hang around very long you'll wind up with a 40lb bob like everyone else hehe. I'm always seeing something else I wanna toss in, but I still pack light.
    By learning, you are preparing. Keep it up!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I think I'm still in the mentality that I will pack as though I have my truck...and then cut things out if I HAVE to hike. LOL! I'm not a "priss"...I've just grown accustom (like most) to some sort of protection...and ability to move. The idea of not having a car is scary, but I think we COULD do it if we had to. It's my son that I would worry most about. He's still so young. I really have to toughen that kid up!! LOL!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Clovis? good show old chap......I have a white painters coverall and with white booties and a gas mask I think that it will do the job........I have some radiation decals for one of my vehicles and some radiating lantern mantles from long ago.

My "bug out" bag is my home plus two other places up in the hill with everything that I might need, winter or summer, for at least two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce
    I have a white painters coverall and with white booties and a gas mask I think that it will do the job
    Uh....do the job for what? And what are you going to do with the decals? And what, pray tell, is a radiating mantel lantern?

Rick, in the old days the mantles used to have some kind of radiations material in them and I was able to find 10 of them........simply put them inside of a box and with my food meter (ultra sencitive) go over the box and the sound should scare a few people.

The radiation decals for the outside of my SUV so that to many people would want to get to close to me ............. I always have a plan behind the plan behind the plan and this plan is my third plan to try and get somewhere where I can get transport out of the country and to my farm in Argentina.

Do you have any kind of reference or information on those mantles. I've looked and couldn't find anything.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Okay. I found it. I think he's a bit wacky to think 1) anyone is going to be looking for his cache with a Geiger counter and 2) it would register in scary amounts if they did. He's a bit out in left field for me.

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/c...cts/mantle.htm