Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: justify your bob to me

Default justify your bob to me

so i'm gonna play devils advocate here
    one tell me whats in your bob
    also justify to me why its there
    my question to you is ----what did you put in your bug out bag that makes you so confident that you'll do better than the unprepared masses around you?

i want you to justify everything in your bag......
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Weeeell. It depends on how I bug out. I don't think I'll fair better than anyone else. In fact, that isn't my goal at all. My goal is to stay solidly alive and unharmed until I reach my destination. That might be my wife and myself and it might also include a number of other family members depending on the scenario. I have way too much to list here if I were bugging out with the truck but each item has been judged based on it's function, who is using it, and the overall benefit to the group. I have also included some items that are nice to have's that are expendable should the truck no longer be an option. I also have some barter items if I need to buy my safety along the way. You never know.

Pretty slim pickens if I'm walking but, again, I've tried to judge each item on it's overall benefit to the group.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Can't do it!

My BOB isn't filled with Survival gear, but Magic props. I'm not at liberty to reveal the contents as I'm sworn to secrecy. Besides, my wife takes care of the other stuff!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

plant books and tree book. cuz i'm still dumb about a lot of plants.
    folding shovel.. I like to dig a pit for sewage and bury it, and I like to use pit fires, so I need to dig and it's compact.
    Some extra cordage. don't wanna waste time making cordage when I need shelter NOW.
    dry tinder and heart pine and a bic lighter in a waterproof pouch. Toss in a few chunks of true tinder and you've got a small coal bed. even if you have WET twigs, with good fat-lighter and a good tindle, you can get a fire going.
    a hand saw. quick for cutting saplings for traps or limbs for fire. also very quick for cuttig your limbs, so be easy!!!
    a small hand axe. good for simple chopping and breaking limbs. good for getting smaller spalls off larger chert boulders and great at removing the cortex. also handy for working some barks and for chipped and burnt items.
    and old fairly dull knife. for whittling triggers.
    fish line, cork, hooks and a few weights. My bug out location has lots of fish.. this will likely be my first meal. poles come from saplings (or cane) cut with the hand saw.
    a hammerstone. good for making stone tools and grinding things. coarse enough to sharpen the "dull knife" or grind bone. Not really large enough for spalling, but good for working spalls down.
    a small antler. useful as an awl or knapping tool. big end can be used as a simple hammer for driving wood pegs carved with the dull knife sharpened with the stone lol.
    I usually carry some water because it's a good walk to the BOL. and even a few canned goods because the first night itll be dark by the time I get there most likely.
    I am sure I would try to grab my bow and arrows on the way out, but most likely I would have to resort to some throwing device for hunting rather than solely on fish (contaminated) or the trap line (animals are not as abundant as they once were so it's important to diversify)
    I have my sleeping bag, big enough for two, (ladies) and a change of clothes, and an extra large buckskin (ladies? just kidding there's no "ladies" where I'm going haha). I was thinking of adding an empty pillowcase, they're easy to fill with grass or whatever.
    A tarp for quick shelter.
    I usually toss in some form of entertainment, a few rocks to knap or some yucca or sinew to twine or bone to grind, you know, something fun in case I don't have time to gather anything "fun".
    theres a first aid kit and a snakebite kit... hmmm
    theres an ink pen and a little notebook in case I need to leave a "suicide note".
    I keep a few stone tips in a little buckskin bag in case I need to make a stabbie to chuck at the chompy. they just need to be hafted and chucked. they could also be used in spring traps like in that movie apocalyptica with the impalement etc?
    I think that's everything.. that's everything I can think of without dumping the whole thing out and then it's gonna be a long night lol.
    I'm using my kids tore up old bookbags till they literally fall apart, but it'll get me where I'm going at least.
    pretty primitive, but if you know how to make the most of your resources, then you really don't have to carry that much.
    At worst, it's a 2 day walk, if you don't walk all day, and there's enough supplies in there, to get me there, get me established, and get me moving toward comfortable. I have a real garden of eden here.
    I can't help feel like I left something out, but oh well. I dunno what it weighs, but it's not heavy at all.
    of course, I have my little edc stuff, but thats out of the scope, right?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

well thought out YCC. one recomendation if i may. is there any way of burying or stashing a few 5 gal buckets at your bol? just so you have extra just in case, like maybe you get robbed on the way there or you injure your back and cannot carry all that weight, so instead of being in despair upon the road you still have a goal to get to the bol cuz ya know there is still hope of your supplies there.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

I have given it some thought, but I'm not sure how long-term safe they would be. Does bring up a good point, I might throw in my Glock .40 for personal protection till I can get to the BOL. It isn't land that I own so I'd have to leave buckets in secret..

now you got me thinking about the best place to bury a spare kit over there. Thanks WE. good post!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Here you go

1) Small items should be stored in organizers
    Last edited by SARKY; 01-11-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

WE,
    Bro I don't really have a bug out bag, just a large ruck sack I keep my gear in case of any emergency. Not in case any world altering event comes along. Most of my kit is basic military survival gear we used in the Army with extras thrown in.

Beo,
    Last edited by Beo; 01-11-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I think as long as you have shelter, water procurement, fire, basic first aid, and some food you will be prepared well enough for short term. Anything longer than that and you'll need a different plan than a BOB.

i don't store water, just containers for storing and boiling it and some activated charcoal. I think that would put you ahead of the game and make you more mobile, and allow you to carry more food, etc. if you choose.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have one of these suits. I think it will get me into places where the regulars cannot. It also sends people in the other direction when I come walkin".
    The Pride

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    so i'm gonna play devils advocate here
    one tell me whats in your bob
    also justify to me why its there
    my question to you is ----what did you put in your bug out bag that makes you so confident that you'll do better than the unprepared masses around you?

i want you to justify everything in your bag......
    No, sound like a Govmt form bs666.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    I think as long as you have shelter, water procurement, fire, basic first aid, and some food you will be prepared well enough for short term. Anything longer than that and you'll need a different plan than a BOB..
    hence my dive into the primitive.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    i don't store water, just containers for storing and boiling it and some activated charcoal. I think that would put you ahead of the game and make you more mobile, and allow you to carry more food, etc. if you choose.
    and again, I repeat, I have a wonderful garden of eden here. My BOL features several freshwater springs. As much time as I've spent in them, getting water all over and in me, I don't think I'll need much in the way of purifying. maybe a container to take some back to camp, but not worried too much about contaminants there. The rivers on the other hand will definately kill you.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

if i listed the uses for paracord alone it would break the internet.

it has everything i need. when i was homeless i was doing something between living on the streets and living off the land. all the important stuff we had fit in a big bag or 2. this i consider my bob. the contents gave us everything we needed to live somewhat interdependently and without it we would have been very vulnerable. id give up my room and bored before putting myself in as vulnerable a position as to give up my bob. it has been needed and used and has served me well.
    Come share my fire.

Much easier to just link you to my Photobucket album of my BOB and let you look for yourself.
    http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/t...yes/Mel%20BOB/

It is a series of 26 pictures of items and components that make up my BOB stuff. This does not include clothing,shelter, or sleeping bag/blankets.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 01-12-2010 at 04:49 PM.

No BOB just one crazy BOV it's always loaded, with me 95% of the time or at laest close. Food, water,shelter,clothing, weapons,ammo, entertainment items,etc. now for 21 days for entire family (including pets) Pick on photobucket but can't find link at the moment. Several members have seen it before "upgrade' and repacking
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

The only thing missing on that jeep is a set of shoulder straps and a hip belt in case you can't get it started. Then again, they are probably inside it someplace.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Question . . .just one crazy BOV

Oldsoldier wrote: "No BOB just one crazy BOV it's always loaded, with me 95% of the time or at least close. . ."
    The only problem with having everything in your vehicle is this--if you can't drive your vehicle, or you have no fuel, or it can't go where you need to go--then you'll have no gear. . .it will be in your truck.

Now, if you have a BOB, you can grab it and go! One BOB per person in your family would be ideal.

And, if your BOV were to be stolen. . .uh oh, no survival gear.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    The only problem with having everything in your vehicle is this--if you can't drive your vehicle, or you have no fuel, or it can't go where you need to go--then you'll have no gear. . .it will be in your truck.

Now, if you have a BOB, you can grab it and go! One BOB per person in your family would be ideal.

And, if your BOV were to be stolen. . .uh oh, no survival gear.
    ND true actually I have been putting together a BOB/72 hour bag both for a class I'm going to teach as well as for just in case.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Mine is a basic 72 hour kit. I keep a few options open, bug in or bug out and either way the 3 day kit will get me from one place to the other. If I cant get to either for whatever reason then more than likely I will have my truck with me and it is a kit of its own.