Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Rail Spike Tomahawk

It does look like a battle axe, with a hammer instead of a spike. I cary some nails in my pack and figured the hammer would be more useful.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Blog Entries

Its great, nothing beats handmade items... NOTHING!!! I would try hammering to the shape of a true native hawk if I were you, but them again I also think it looks great that way too.
    Hmmm now I'm confused, great work bro,
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Do you have any pics of the hawk shape you are thinking of? The head of the spike flattened to the shape you see. Little metal was removed to end up were it is now. There is enough metal to reshape the blade by stock removal.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

On second thought.. I will flatten the sweep of the blade and maybe take some of the point on top and bottom off. Finish it up and work for a different shape on the next.
    Karl

Blog Entries

Maybe kinda like this one I made but the pipe bowl qould be the hammer end. Straightening the top and curving the bottom. I dunno just a thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Maybe kinda like this one I made but the pipe bowl qould be the hammer end. Straightening the top and curving the bottom. I dunno just a thought.
    I've often wondered why no one made one with a hammer point instead of a pipe bowl.

Blog Entries

my hawk was not made from a railroad spike though, never tried that. There are many out there called hammer poles, like a camp axe but a hawk blade with a hammer head on the other end, very useful.
    Last edited by Beo; 01-12-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Looks great as is though.

Thanks Beo, I that is what I envisioned. I'll have to plan that for the next one. I have an idea on how to do that. I would have to shape the spike head differently before drawing out to the blade.

Thanks

Poco, good question, Beo would know more then I would.
    Karl

I do like it. I think you did a great job on the rascal.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

Good looking work. Looks like a good working tool. Thanks for sharing.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""