Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To all members under the age of 18.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

I'll admit that there are some exceptions, but most young-uns are still at home & never had to make a living on their own or support a family. They haven't as yet, tried to survive life! Some haven't survived puberty yet! FVR's kids have a great teacher in their dad, & should be great teachers themselves! But those whose training comes only off of the Discovery Channel, out of books, or off the internet, isn't, IMO, qualified to offer advice or to call themselves "experts," but instead should be respectful, listen, learn, and ask the right questions. That's not to say they can't post some bit of info they have that can help someone, or talk about something they know about...but it doesn't make them an expert.

Yes we get some adults who are worse than the young-uns at times; like that "Wall of God" dude! But I had no desire to help him. The young-uns, on the other hand...well they're a different story. They deserve the best teaching we can give them!

I'll get off of my soap-box now.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

But those whose training comes only off of the Discovery Channel, out of books, or off the internet, isn't, IMO, qualified to offer advice or to call themselves "experts,"
    agreed, but that's true of everybody.

luckily, the parroting of 'manuals' and man-vs-wild is easy enough to spot, and speaks for itself.

They deserve the best teaching we can give them!
    also agreed, and strongly, but and also is, or should be true of everybody willing to learn.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    ... or should be true of everybody willing to learn.
    You cannot teach people who already "know" it. My son, for example, will say he knows how to do something, and then gets frustrated he can't get it right. I offer help, and his response is (again), "I can do it". I let him get a little more frustrated, and then offer again, and he usually will let me help him. The tension between being self-sufficient and needing and asking for assistance is a big part of life.

That being said, I want to model for my son, and others, that it's ok to try on your own, but there is no shame or dishonor in asking for help. Often times, asking for help is the wise thing to do.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

you sound like my grandpa Archie. dang it, if there's a fancy, creative new hard-way to do something, i'm just determined to try it.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

well the young ones that are cocky will be humbled in time as i think happens to most of us as we grow up. luckily you dont have to worry about trying to humble them nature dose a much better job. i have learned that trying to humble people who think they are a know it all is a real pain. after telling them the first time if they dont listen its much better to sit back and let them do what they want. they remember the lesson much better that way and come to conclusions on their own. there were times my bf thought some pretty stupid stuff but had a hard head about it so i didnt continue to argue about it and just did what he wanted and then explained why it failed when we were done. hes much wiser now and has learned a lot. so all im saying is relax and dont get to worked up about it.
    Come share my fire.

Age generally isn't a factor for me when it comes to determining whether someone knows what they're doing. If a person tells me they are an expert I generally assume they're not... it's only when other people tell me that someone is an expert that I believe it.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

I wish I could remember half of what I knew as a young man when I knew it all.
    But I will listen to almost all and follow advice from those who sound stable and ignore the ones that tell me it can't be done.
    D.O.M.

Blog Entries

Durty,
    You cant ignore them!!! It can't be done because they know everything, so they know you will ignore them hence they won't tell you they know everything because in time you will figure out that they are full of crap.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

The problem with age is that as a grown older man, I may say things that adults can deal with. But a young'n may take to serious or get their feelings hurt.

I def. discuss and talk diff. to the likes of Beo, WE, Sarge, and many others than I would a 15 year old kid.

You may be a 15 year old super survivor, but unfortunately you are not mature enough in many diff. areas. Both parties have to be careful.

young survivalist

im hurt sarge. i feel like most of what you said, you were picturing me in your head. i just feel so targeted buddy.
    some people like Bear Grylls. others like Les Stroud. well you know what. i like Jerimiah Johnson

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by smittysurvival View Post
    im hurt sarge. i feel like most of what you said, you were picturing me in your head. i just feel so targeted buddy.
    Why do you think I was thinking of you? Can you answer the question? And why do you call me "OLD buddy?"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I think that they should post their age on the posts so we know. Different speaking with a 40 year old and a 15 year old.
    FVR: I agree w/ you. No matter how experienced a 15 year old is (or thinks he is), I would still want to know he's 15. That doesn't mean I wouldn't value his experience and advice..., but still, I'm over 40 w/ a family. I have responsibilities (as opposed to being someone's responsibility) and I am (we all are!) often making serious, potentially life saving decisions. Such, calls for a little clarity as best it can.

Sometimes I can guess they are teens (used to texting) by their grammar, typing skills and sometimes by their intellectual capacity, sometimes not.

Sarge: If there was a way to differentiate, somehow, that would be a plus.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Blog Entries

Just have everyone post there age in their profile. Oh great administrators and moderators of the forum.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you all mentioned it...

I was thinking of all the young-uns we have had on here, many who try to sound like Les or Bear, proclaiming themselves "experts" & offering to "teach us." then there are those who are older...physically, but even younger...mentally, like that fellow we're all making fun of right now.

Here's the thing, unless you came out of the womb and you were cast off into a drainage ditch & made it out alive, then took care of yourself until you were, say 12-17; well then, I might consider you experienced to a certain degree; but I would NOT view you as an expert or even a teacher.

If you have the credentials that WE, FVR, Trax, & even Owl-Girl, then I'll hunker down & pay attention. These are folks to "ride the river" with! An over-inflated ego does not prove one an expert...quite the opposite in fact.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

well put sarge

Blog Entries

Cool Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    well put sarge
    Shoulda put you in the Trax, FVR, etc list as well!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Shoulda put you in the Trax, FVR, etc list as well!
    ....and Erunkiswildernsssurvival,Pict,.....jes' sayin'

Blog Entries

Cool Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    ...and Your Comforting Company...and the list goes on...& on...& on...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Not important Sarge. There are some good folks here as you say to "ride the river" with.

The young and the Numptys find that out.

If Kayos had not been banned he would have left soon enough or been humbled by all the experience and wisdom this site has.

I know I was when I first joined the forum. Humbled that is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    I haven't seen Erumpkis in long time. Where's he hide'n out. I should appologize to him someday for riding him so hard when he first showed up.